Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero customer service-- can't be beat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sshack

A-List Customer
Yes, I think the weight of experience is that Ken, Holly and Denny bend over backwards to accommodate customers, whether it's current ones, or those who dealt with the previous regime or even the dark days of Mark Moyes. They can't please everyone, though, and Holly deals with hundreds of emails every day. So there's always going to be a point in any discussion where they have to politely say no to what is wanted (or demanded), or their offer doesn't meet the person's (possibly unreasonable) expectations.[huh]

True... I think perhaps this is one of the reasons why Aero is distancing themselves from ultra-customized jackets. It's just too difficult to accommodate on a consistent basis. In the recent AL thread, there was another poster who had "custom" pains as well.

I've learned to limit my custom options to : hardware color, liner choice, maybe an interior pocket... you know, the easy stuff. As for the primary jacket construction-- I leave that alone. It's hard enough getting all the other stuff right.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This past Monday my son informed me that he had finally decided to get himself a decent leather jacket and had ordered one of the two size 40 cafe racers on the Aero sales page. When we sat down to look at it, however, he realized he had ordered the wrong one (with the shorter sleeves). Apparently, the positions of the jackets had changed on the page. I told him to email them right away and we'd see what happened. Next morning when I got to work I hit up the Aero page and, voila, the problem had already been corrected. It's just a little thing, But when it's your own kid you're really grateful. Major thanks to the Aero folks. By the way, any of you guys know how long it might take? It'd be sweet if he got it for Christmas.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
True... I think perhaps this is one of the reasons why Aero is distancing themselves from ultra-customized jackets. It's just too difficult to accommodate on a consistent basis. In the recent AL thread, there was another poster who had "custom" pains as well.

I've learned to limit my custom options to : hardware color, liner choice, maybe an interior pocket... you know, the easy stuff. As for the primary jacket construction-- I leave that alone. It's hard enough getting all the other stuff right.

Also, the more mods and changes you make, the harder it is to return to the maker and say 'this is wrong, sort it!', because the reply comes back 'It's just as you specced it!' and then you start getting into the world of selling back, money lost and time wasted. Don't get me wrong, there is scope for personal projects, we've seen some great work here, but I think you have to accept the word of a skilled craftsman if he says 'That won't work, it'll look awful'. It's like bad parenting: you don't want somebody who'll say yes to any old demand, it's not good for the customer and the likely outcome is going to leave a bad taste in mouths of both parties.

tropicalbob

I'm actually surprised they're still in business. I'm glad you managed to get some good customer service out of them, sadly it was not at ALL my experience! 3 years of frustration, emails and promises by them, I did finally get my jackets, but they were never done right. After my last jacket was shipped to me with extra pockets that were not supposed to be there, they finally just ignored any future emails from me.

I have a long correspondence with them with emails and dates to back it all up if anyone wants to see and save themselves a bad situation.

After spending a LOT on 2 jackets with plans for more, I certainly will never buy from them again.
Didn't mean to rub salt on the wound. For some reason, I've had a pretty bad time with Gustin jeans, with two out of three deals being less than satisfactory. When you see everybody else talking about how great their stuff is and you've been waiting forever and can't even get them to respond to emails, it makes you start to wonder if your existence is particularly cursed. Anyway, good luck.

I ordered an Aero sale page jacket several years ago...and surprisingly received it in 2 1/2 days to midIndiana..!! Another one took 3 days..so very possibly you just may get it by Christmas if they get it shipped right away(they are busy this time of year and will be shutting down 'real' soon for the holidays).
HD

Benny Holiday

I just think it's sad that we're so gob smacked when we get great service from a company because now we're so used to get shat upon.

Worf

Customer service for EVERYTHING here in Sydney is a disgrace - or I should ask what customer service? there is none. Anyway, as to Aero, I've had great dealings with them, had a new zipper sent out for free to me to replace the faulty one on my trusty halfbelt with no quibble whatsoever.

xmr

One of the Regulars
Well, I had a problem with an A2 ordered directly through Holly. They replaced/repaired it without any problem 2 times and no shipping costs were charged. Very professional, it couldn't have been a better experience.

Dav

One Too Many
I'm another fan of their customer service, had the back of a snap come off last week, sent to Aero on Tuesday, returned to me on Thursday for no charge, perfect! Well almost perfect, not coming off in the first place would have been perfection, but I'm happy with the result. :)

Edward

Bartender
Also, the more mods and changes you make, the harder it is to return to the maker and say 'this is wrong, sort it!', because the reply comes back 'It's just as you specced it!' and then you start getting into the world of selling back, money lost and time wasted. Don't get me wrong, there is scope for personal projects, we've seen some great work here, but I think you have to accept the word of a skilled craftsman if he says 'That won't work, it'll look awful'. It's like bad parenting: you don't want somebody who'll say yes to any old demand, it's not good for the customer and the likely outcome is going to leave a bad taste in mouths of both parties.

There are two main approaches to this sort of thing - there's the route the previous management did at Aero, which is to do pretty much anything the customer wants, and then there's the way Ken has steered things more recently, which is to up the range of stock designs, while limiting customisation. The latter makes much more sense from a business POV (and arguably from a historical accuracy POV, for those to whom that matters), as it lowers cost, speeds up production, and so on. Obviously, some potential customers will want to go where they can have more mods. I too lean to the opinion that a buyer shouldn't be so wedded to a specific customisation or spec that they ignore the sage advice of an experienced manufacturer, but for those who feel otherwise, there are companies available who will do whatever they ask.

For the business itself, it's a choice between being known for giving the customer exactly what they want, and putting out only jackets with which they are entirely happy. It wouldn't be the first time a potential customer was put off by an awful looking jacket from a company, without stopping to realise that it only looks dreadful because the customer got exactly that for which they asked.

I ordered an Aero sale page jacket several years ago...and surprisingly received it in 2 1/2 days to midIndiana..!! Another one took 3 days..so very possibly you just may get it by Christmas if they get it shipped right away(they are busy this time of year and will be shutting down 'real' soon for the holidays).
HD

I think I remember reading on their Facebook that they shut from Monday (23rd), reopening 6th January, so either today or tomorrow will be their last shipping day - after that, it's in the hands of whatever shipping method they use and local delivery schedule...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
There are two main approaches to this sort of thing - there's the route the previous management did at Aero, which is to do pretty much anything the customer wants, and then there's the way Ken has steered things more recently, which is to up the range of stock designs, while limiting customisation. The latter makes much more sense from a business POV (and arguably from a historical accuracy POV, for those to whom that matters), as it lowers cost, speeds up production, and so on. Obviously, some potential customers will want to go where they can have more mods. I too lean to the opinion that a buyer shouldn't be so wedded to a specific customisation or spec that they ignore the sage advice of an experienced manufacturer, but for those who feel otherwise, there are companies available who will do whatever they ask.

For the business itself, it's a choice between being known for giving the customer exactly what they want, and putting out only jackets with which they are entirely happy. It wouldn't be the first time a potential customer was put off by an awful looking jacket from a company, without stopping to realise that it only looks dreadful because the customer got exactly that for which they asked.

It's a strategy that has obviously worked. Despite all the crap they've had to deal with, the place has been buzzing and they're training up new staff to help cope with the rise in demand!

Not only do the makers suffer from frankenjackets, but buyers do too. We've all done it - or come close to doing it, and it's usually the first completely new, custom, and expensive jacket.
I think it's good that a maker that knows what they're doing steers clients clear of making mistakes. I guarantee that Aero is doing the right thing now for both them and customers. I"m just happy that my changes were well-researched ones from guys here that knew best. Had I done it all alone, lord knows what I would have ended up with. :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If I remember, it's a storse windward body fitted with a cafe racer collar, two designs that should never be together and don't even come together well during manufacture, and I'm not sure where the sleeves come from.
The balance of the thing was completely out - you had to see it on - it just looked as if the jacket was missing it's collar. Funnily enough, the guy who'd returned it decided he didn't want the same thing again...

Last edited:

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
I'm thinking of getting myself an Aero. Not military styled like an A2 though. Looking for something a bit different. I'm thinking the Bootlegger perhaps. Will Aero adjust measurements a little without adding a huge amount to the cost?
Is there a thread here that deals with Aero product questions specifically? or can anyone with experience in these matters offer some sound advice?
Thanks folks.:)

Peacoat

Bartender
I'm thinking of getting myself an Aero. Not military styled like an A2 though. Looking for something a bit different. I'm thinking the Bootlegger perhaps. Will Aero adjust measurements a little without adding a huge amount to the cost?
Is there a thread here that deals with Aero product questions specifically? or can anyone with experience in these matters offer some sound advice?
Thanks folks.:)

Yes, Aero does the most important customization for free: The fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn