Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Dustbowl - CXL FQHH Brown - Fit / Impressions / Thoughts

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Aloysius
Hmm, now you confused me even more in terms of Premier vs STF. I heard STF is mainly related to sleeves being slimmed down.
Either way, a slim jacket is what I need, no matter what you call it.
What does TTS stand for? True to size?
I would say that around 70% of the time I would be wearing the jacket with a shirt / shirt+vest and 30% of the time it would be with a medium wool sweater on top of a shirt / thermal shirt.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Another question where some of you might chip-in:
One member mentioned something about being able to trade in an existing Aero used jacket to partly cover ordering a new one from Aero themselves. Mentioned he did it multiple times. Is that a thing?

Pandemic

One Too Many
My two cents: Front button Hooch Hauler. Slim/Ridley style simplified cross zip (this is a very slim pattern), Rockafella (a bit more hourglass but would still work for you, though the lapels aren’t for everyone so 20s work coat if so). Another possibility would be a Cossack jacket.

Also have a look on the Bill Kelso site. There’s a 15% off sale right now if something really catches your eye (and a 50 pound up charge for complete custom), but more importantly you can browse pictures of a variety of vintage styles that aren’t Aero.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Pandemic
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely consider a button up HH. Not a fan of the Rockafella, not my kind of thing.
Had a separate discussion up regarding Coassack/campus jackets. I would put both Maxwell and Moonshiner into that category, but I don't know how strict the collar style requirement is to belong there.

Bill Kelso would be great for me as they ship from Greece = no customs taxes for me. But I have not seen anything that would interest me in the products category. And their attitude (as expressed in the FAQ page) is quite off-putting to me.
There are a few models in the archive page that might interest me, but for me it is extremely hard to tell / imagine how the finished product would look like based on the pictures of those old vintage jackets. I could only chose based on features, panel configuration, zip/pocket locations.. Here is where my lack of experience really would prevent me from ordering one of those.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@Aloysius
Hmm, now you confused me even more in terms of Premier vs STF. I heard STF is mainly related to sleeves being slimmed down.
Either way, a slim jacket is what I need, no matter what you call it.
What does TTS stand for? True to size?
I would say that around 70% of the time I would be wearing the jacket with a shirt / shirt+vest and 30% of the time it would be with a medium wool sweater on top of a shirt / thermal shirt.

Yes, TTS as in the size whose number matches your chest measurement in inches.

”STF” = “Super Tight Fit”; it was a term coined by Aero Japan, not Aero HQ (which makes sense because in proper English ‘super tight’ would imply a jacket that is too small, which this fit is not).

Premier or 1930s are the term for this fit on Aero’s UK site. both have slim sleeves. Really, Aero does not have a baggy sleeve problem like Fine Creek and others do, even on jackets that are V-shaped rather than slim-straight.

Another question where some of you might chip-in:
One member mentioned something about being able to trade in an existing Aero used jacket to partly cover ordering a new one from Aero themselves. Mentioned he did it multiple times. Is that a thing?

Yes. Contact their customer support.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I always on a lookout for a Schott, but have never seen one that I would like (most of them are either busy cross-zips with epaulets, bet's and snap pockets or rather boring center zips)
The Schott 543 is a nice non-boring halfbelt style with 'sunburst' back.

6054D09B-454E-412B-AAEC-ADD937AAE0D2.jpeg
6F787BFD-863C-439E-BAB2-2989A987C564.jpeg
76FF594D-4FCC-4E03-A0E2-250C04F1C84C.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ