Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Half-belt

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I don't disagree. I think it's small on me, too. I can squeeze into it, but I feel it's a bit short, and I don't have enough room.

It's a bit harder to tell with stiff, heavy horsehide because of how it drapes and creases. I really like the jacket, but if it's not my size, it's not my size. I have no problem with moving it on, I have plenty of others to wear.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Tbh I think the fit looks good. Sleeves looks to be well below your wrists. I know there’s different opinions on sleeve length but I would say that’s a perfect length.

Body length looks a bit too short but if you wore it with higher rise pants I think that would give another impression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Yeah I know but was really turned off be the rude comments made by one member. My impression is the jacket is a bit on the short side for my tastes. If I were able to zip it only under a T shirt, it would be too tight for me. Nice jacket though. Good luck with however you decide to proceed.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Yeah I know but was really turned off be the rude comments made by one member. My impression is the jacket is a bit on the short side for my tastes. If I were able to zip it only under a T shirt, it would be too tight for me. Nice jacket though. Good luck with however you decide to proceed.
I thought the wording could have been more tactful, but I did appreciate the illustrations. He also has a point (though could have made it without being insulting) that a lot of people wear poorly-fitting clothes yet don't have much of a clue as to how to spot issues. I'm aware that there are experts on the forum as well as many who are not, and we all have our own tastes.

I think if this jacket were a size bigger, or maybe two, I could wear it without second guessing. As it stands, it's listed for sale at a price I'd be happy to get for it. So hopefully it will find a good home soon.

willyto

One Too Many
I'm sorry but no, that guy doesn't have a point. Judging the fit of a leather jacket comparing it to a suit , tailoring illustrations and talking about creases having to be non existant in a leather garment is just something to laugh at.

I will always insist in what I keep saying but most vintage leather jacket patterns are made for high waist trousers and wearing low rise trousers/jeans with them drops the proportions. Jackets are usually not too short but the trousers are worn too low. You guys don't like to wear higher waist trousers then it's fair enough but don't expect classic half belts to fit you well if their patterns are designed for a certain fit and look. Go for a longer half belt or styles that don't require a certain fir to look their best.

His profile has already been deleted... Looks like he was just a troll!
What an odd and utterly useless thing to do (and place to do it).

FWIW Guppy I like the jacket, think it fits you quite well and is a beautiful color. I'd pull the Belts in a bit to taper the waist and back. Other that that it looks great to me.

BlueWallpaper

Familiar Face
i hate false praise, so easy to give but not really useful. that said, i do think the jacket’s fine. the sleeve length is good (give or take personal preference) and that’s the length factor you have the least wiggle room on. the body is short but again i think it’s within the band of fitting accounting for personal preference. the rest of the jacket is good, you wouldn’t want it any bigger for sure.

that said i like the cafe racer fits and i learned through owning a couple of very nice jackets that i imagine most people would think fit me that i don’t like half belts. hence i said ‘fine’ because to me i’d want a half belt like that but maybe that’s turning the half belt into something it’s not ‘meant’ to be. i like it though.

delivery aside i get some of broker’s points but disagree because i don’t think you can get the fit he’s talking about using leather (unless maybe it’s designed to be impossible to zip up, but that might look completely off for different reasons). you can get something similar by having a jacket not be close fitting, but i personally don’t like that look.

i’d keep it if i were you.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I'm sorry but no, that guy doesn't have a point. Judging the fit of a leather jacket comparing it to a suit , tailoring illustrations and talking about creases having to be non existant in a leather garment is just something to laugh at.

I will always insist in what I keep saying but most vintage leather jacket patterns are made for high waist trousers and wearing low rise trousers/jeans with them drops the proportions. Jackets are usually not too short but the trousers are worn too low. You guys don't like to wear higher waist trousers then it's fair enough but don't expect classic half belts to fit you well if their patterns are designed for a certain fit and look. Go for a longer half belt or styles that don't require a certain fir to look their best.
That wasn't the point I agreed with. But his point that many people aren't good judges of fit was well taken. We get a wide range of opinions here, and usually some consensus, but that still doesn't necessarily mean that we know what we're talking about. I'm sure many of us DO know what we're talking about, which is why I find it worthwhile to ask questions here when I have them.

But as to his specific points, I would not look at guidelines for judging a fabric sport jacket or suit as instructive for judging a heavy leather jacket. It's a point of reference, I guess but probably a misleading analogy.

Leather in this type and weight simply doesn't drape like the materials that suits are made from. After considerable wear to break it in, could be it will look very different. Could be as well that the pictures I have aren't enough to tell the whole story, and I should try taking some with it zipped, with arms raised, bending, and so on.

I don't know. I'm not a trained tailor. I know a little bit, but I still have a lot to learn, and I value the feedback I receive.

My major concern when wearing it was the length, particularly the body, less so the sleeves. Maybe if I wore high waisted pants it'd be a different story. But I don't. It might also be too tight, even for just a t-shirt. I can maybe pull it off -- some of us think so, others not. I usually wear a 42, but sometimes a 40 or 44, and rarely a 38 or 46 can work for me. And this one is tagged 38, so no doubt it's on the small side.

There's no doubting that the jacket itself is a great garment. As for great for me, I wish it was a 40 or 42. Maybe I should wear it a bit more and take a few more pictures, before I make up my mind for good. I don't think I'll regret selling it for my asking price, though.

But as to his specific points, I would not look at guidelines for judging a fabric sport jacket or suit as instructive for judging a heavy leather jacket. It's a point of reference, I guess but probably a misleading analogy.

Leather in this type and weight simply doesn't drape like the materials that suits are made from. After considerable wear to break it in, could be it will look very different. Could be as well that the pictures I have aren't enough to tell the whole story, and I should try taking some with it zipped, with arms raised, bending, and so on.

Exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't word. Constructive criticism is something I absolutely approve of and seeking perfection is a time well spent but the dude had no clue what he was talking about as you can't compare a freaking suit to a 9 lbs of leather. There's room in the back to allow you to extend your arms. The two folds happen because the sleeve holes are high and leather doesn't stretch. It's just the matter of time until the jacket would sit into place and look much better, if not perfect. Anyone who's handled one such heavy leather jacket knows this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider