Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero has natural CXL from Horween!!!

1-jpeg.116274

animated-beating-heart-clipart-1.jpg
This is a Tenjin jacket. Aero's NTL CXL won't look like this.
Here is Natural CXL's development:
Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 4.32.39 AM.png

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
While it’d be fun to watch the evolution, I am actually in favor of the original cream color. Would be nice if they had a natural cxl that didn’t undergo such drama.

They did do a few jackets some years ago in a natural / ivory type colour that I think - from memory - was designed to stay that colour, rather than change tone (as an undyed jacket would). I think it being dyed that 'natural' colour would be the only way to preserve it.

BlueWallpaper

Familiar Face
I’ve considered a natural jacket, always thought Tenjin would be the way to go. Curious why there’s excitement about the natural CXL when the natural Vicenza’s already there. Am I missing something on the differences?

Also interested if people have any thoughts on Tenjin versus there Aero offerings... although might be moot for me because I’m very tempted by the Vicenza olive at the moment!

I’ve considered a natural jacket, always thought Tenjin would be the way to go. Curious why there’s excitement about the natural CXL when the natural Vicenza’s already there. Am I missing something on the differences?

Also interested if people have any thoughts on Tenjin versus there Aero offerings... although might be moot for me because I’m very tempted by the Vicenza olive at the moment!
The nature of the two (CXL vs vicenza) are wildly different. CXL is wax and oil stuffed, considerably heavier and stiffer. I think these properties will have a much more dramatic effect on the burnished finish the natural CXL will exhibit.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

I personally don't like Vicenza, to me it looks like couch leather, not jacket leather.
Its super evenly grainy from the start, but doesn't crease as nicely as CXL when worn in. It doesn't have the waxiness that CXL has, doesn't age as nicely, and is less waterproof.

I personally don't like Vicenza, to me it looks like couch leather, not jacket leather.
Its super evenly grainy from the start, but doesn't crease as nicely as CXL when worn in. It doesn't have the waxiness that CXL has, doesn't age as nicely, and is less waterproof.
I've got a vic jacket inbound. I have to agree that visually I find CXL more appealing but I think wearability ultimately goes to vic. Although I've never found CXL to be burdensome past it's initial angry phase.
Good point about it's ability to repel water. That's always been my fear w/straight up veg tanned hides. Anybody care to comment on how vic handles rain/ moisture?

technovox

One Too Many
I've got a vic jacket inbound. I have to agree that visually I find CXL more appealing but I think wearability ultimately goes to vic. Although I've never found CXL to be burdensome past it's initial angry phase.
Good point about it's ability to repel water. That's always been my fear w/straight up veg tanned hides. Anybody care to comment on how vic handles rain/ moisture?
I've worn my Vicenza in all sorts of rain and fog here and never had a problem with staining, spotting, shrinkage, or anything. Just seems to look better with age. And it was wearable right out of the box.
BTW- If I recall correctly, I was told that the Vicenza is the same weight as the CXL FQHH.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
None of my Vicenza jackets seem to struggle at all in the rain.

Water beads up and rolls off.

Although I’ve never tried wearing one in a torrential downpour or been caught on my bike in one in the rain so maybe there is a tipping point?

BlueWallpaper

Familiar Face

I have a russet Vicenza Board Racer. I don't have much to compare it to but your comment is amusing since if you Google Vicenza leather it's all couches! I will say though that the dyed Horween looks like shoe leather to me and from my experience of how Horween shoes breaks in (or maybe more accurately don't) it really makes me reticent to get anything chrome tanned. I imagine the natural is different though.

BlueWallpaper

Familiar Face

Mine's seemed fine. It'd definitely not water proof, some water rolls off for sure but some is definitely absorbed. I don't avoid wearing in it light rain but if it's pouring I'll wear something waterproof, I imagine most people do something similar.

I have a russet Vicenza Board Racer. I don't have much to compare it to but your comment is amusing since if you Google Vicenza leather it's all couches! I will say though that the dyed Horween looks like shoe leather to me and from my experience of how Horween shoes breaks in (or maybe more accurately don't) it really makes me reticent to get anything chrome tanned. I imagine the natural is different though.
LOL. The shoe factor is why I like CXL. I will say I'm eager to add a lighter jacket to the stable. I had no idea vic was used for furniture but it doesn't bother me. So was Connolly, for auto upholstery.

Good to know about water resistance. I'm not accustomed to giving it any thought but I'd die if I ruined a jacket and I won't spray scotch guard on it. I guess an once of prevention is worth...meh I forget the rest.

BlueWallpaper

Familiar Face
LOL. The shoe factor is why I like CXL. I will say I'm eager to add a lighter jacket to the stable. I had no idea vic was used for furniture but it doesn't bother me. So was Connolly, for auto upholstery.

Well I think there are multiple tanneries in Vicenza. It is a little odd that no one knows which tannery the leather comes from though. I feel like with other leathers the tannery information is proudly advertised, or at least available.

Superfluous

Well I think there are multiple tanneries in Vicenza. It is a little odd that no one knows which tannery the leather comes from though. I feel like with other leathers the tannery information is proudly advertised, or at least available.

TB introduced Vicenza HH to the outerwear community at a time when there was an undercurrent of secretism promulgated by a particular manufacturer, coupled with accusations of trade secret infringement and/or misrepresentation of hide characteristics, and outright threats of litigation -- I will refrain from mentioning the particular manufacturer at the center of the foregoing (BILL KELSO). Against that backdrop, it made sense for TB to keep its cards close to its chest. Today, I suspect TB would gladly disclose more information about the particular tannery that produces its wonderful Vicenza hide.

ProteinNerd

TB introduced Vicenza HH to the outerwear community at a time when there was an undercurrent of secretism promulgated by a particular manufacturer, coupled with accusations of trade secret infringement and/or misrepresentation of hide characteristics, and outright threats of litigation -- I will refrain from mentioning the particular manufacturer at the center of the foregoing (BILL KELSO). Against that backdrop, it made sense for TB to keep its cards close to its chest. Today, I suspect TB would gladly disclose more information about the particular tannery that produces its wonderful Vicenza hide.

Lol, nice refraining!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Mine's seemed fine. It'd definitely not water proof, some water rolls off for sure but some is definitely absorbed. I don't avoid wearing in it light rain but if it's pouring I'll wear something waterproof, I imagine most people do something similar.

Thats also what i have observed.
I don't own Vicenza, but my girlfriend has a Vicenza Aero, and i have noticed that everytime we are cought in the rain water beads on my CXL, but soaks straight in her Vicenza.
If you drop water on CXL it beads and stays there for ages, if you drop water on Vicenza it soaks in like blotting paper.
I don't think it stains or does anything bad to the leather, but it definitely isnt as waterproof as CXL.
I also don't like the fact that Vicenza is died through, it will never age as nicelly as CXL because of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot