1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Aero has natural CXL from Horween!!!

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by ton312, Apr 25, 2018.

1. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Amazing Jacket!

2. John D Maccarter

John D Maccarter Familiar Face

Thanks, it's my favorite!

3. sweetfights

sweetfights One Too Many

Waiting for the weather to cooperate. :)

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  4. torfjord

torfjord A-List Customer

That’s a sweet looking jacket! Though I gotta ask if you’ve done anything to it, besides wearing it? I’ve had mine for 9 months now and have worn it a lot but it doesn’t have anywhere near that amount of patina.

5. regius

regius One Too Many

This GW Horween is not the same kind Aero uses. I’m not sure exactly what Horween calls it but it’s not your regular chromexel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torfjord and Lebowski like this.
  6. John D Maccarter

All I have done is work in it, sweat in it, and I live in a "sunny" place

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

handymike and torfjord like this.
  7. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I believe the Horween that GW uses is significantly lighter. In the 2-2.5oz range. Or at least I feel like I've read that here somewhere.

8. Lebowski

Lebowski Practically Family

Not sure about if it's lighter, but it looks much softer and more drapey definitely. I'd say JC's Horween looks like a higher grade Horween.

9. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

LOL!

10. Lebowski

Horween makes hides of several grades, doesn't it?

11. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I believe the most expensive is shell cordovan due to the small amount of available horse ass from which it’s sourced. As far as the other tiers I’ve not a clue.

12. Lebowski

That's right, but for instance Aero's Cordovan isn't Shell Cordovan at all, it just names the color in case with Aero.
    Anyway, I like Aero's Cordovan too, it's the very nice leather.

13. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Well yes of course. There is not enough material available for a shell cordovan jacket. I believe that’s why the largest piece might be a handbag in shell and more often used for shoes.

Lebowski likes this.
  14. Lebowski

Yep, that's right.

15. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I just got a little chuckle out of the notion that JC uses a higher tier of Horween leather. I suppose I’m old fashioned but for me the tried and true CXL shows infinitely more character than the Horween hides I’ve seen JC/GW use. I’m sure I’m missing something...somehow.
    AE3B0734-8FD5-4D7A-9B46-3E87D6335588.jpeg

16. Lebowski

Ton, they're both gorgeous. Each one has its own adwantages. Btw, Horween have even more expensive hides in their line. Just look at Hercules of @jonesy86 - that jacket was made of Horween HH too, but that leather looks absolutely different. Horween's line is quite diverse.
    I mean, not necessarily Aero's Horween will have the same patina as JC's Horween with the time being.
    That's what I mean.
    But it'll have different looking patina which will look absolutely gorgeous too, just in a different way a bit.
    Each one has its own glory.

Benny Holiday likes this.
  17. Lebowski

Ton, this your Bootlegger which you've bought from @HoosierDaddy looks fabulous, what a leather! You should give many thanks to @HoosierDaddy for this jacket as well as for your Maxwell! They're very nice jackets both, kind of unique.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  18. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Indeed. Had I known he was selling I never would’ve ordered a third custom BL. It was exactly this very jacket that gave me the desire to own a Bootlegger at all! The lesson is simple. If you see something you like posted here. Be patient and one day it might be yours. You never know.

19. Lebowski

I understand you Sir, both jackets - Bootlegger and Stuart - are very nice purchase! (At first I confused your Stuart with Maxwell 'cause those patterns are quite similar, but I mean Stuart of course).
    I like how your Bootlegger shows its fabulous play with lots of beautiful undertones under the sunlight.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 11:52 PM
  20. John D Maccarter

I posted on reg original sale page of this good wear the guy trying to sell him a Ventura that was 2.5 ounce cxl