Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman with mid-weight horsehide:advice requested

I agree n the Tartans. My 50's HBD in HH is not a warm jacket, in and of itself. With the sheerling collar and a nice shirt/sweater under, it is toasty. But it's not much warmer than an A-2 really. Just heavier. The sleeves though are indeed heavy drill, not Tartan. It's also not itchy at all - to me.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Lochcarron has three different series of tartans the difference being weight. My first highwayman was a cotton drill lining, my current highwayman is From the strome line at 16oz, it is noticeable heavier and warmer than cotton.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
There are three weights in the tartans the reiver being the thin one, personally I think this is no warmer than the drill, in fact the drill which they would use to line the sleeves seems to be slightly brushed and possibly even warmer, I think if you opt for no storm cuffs the FQHH and a reiver lining does not make a warm jacket, also if you go on the lochcarron website you can order your family tartan!

D

Whatever differences in warmth there are between Aero's FQHH and medium weight HH (not noticeable to me) are minimal compared to the differences in warmth between an alpaca lined jacket vs cotton drill or tartan lined.

If you want the alpaca lining for a really warm jacket but don't want the scratchiness that comes with alpaca, you can ask Aero to double line the jacket, with cotton drill as an inner lining between your skin and the alpaca. I believe they would also use tartan, or satin if you wish.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I have an Aero jacket made of FQHH and lined with alpaca and I find the alpaca lining very warm and slightly scratchy. I love the jacket, but decided to go in the opposite direction for my next Aero: goatskin with the lightest weight tartan possible. I think I've read that there are even some cotton versions of tartans available. I didn't specify a wool tartan, but I would assume that is what I'll get.

If I'm ever able to wear out the alpaca lining, I'll send the jacket back to Aero and have a lightweight tartan put in it. I live in upstate New York, but I'm hot by nature and I'd rather have a lighter lining and just put a sweater underneath if I need it.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I see no use of the tartans where I live. They are beautiful but thats it.
I find its either black or white here. Either its weather for alpaca lined or its weather for almost no jacket at all. A medium tartan lined jacket would be good for about 2 weeks or something in the weather transition (and most years only a few days)

I really wanted a tartan in one of my jackets tho, and after a long time came to the understanding that the "Berry 3 weather tartan" is the only tartan Aero offers in cotton.

Last edited:

nevadapd

Familiar Face
Lochcarron has three different series of tartans the difference being weight. My first highwayman was a cotton drill lining, my current highwayman is From the strome line at 16oz, it is noticeable heavier and warmer than cotton.

That's right. In fact, I just ordered some heavy weight (i.e., strome) tartan samples from Lochcarron because I'm thinking of ordering an Aero Highwayman with a heavy tartan lining. The winters can get cold here in central Ohio, so I'm hoping the heavy weight tartan works out warmth-wise. I had to pay Lochcarron for the samples, but Aero orders what they need from them when you place your jacket order. Lochcarron just messaged me that the samples have shipped, so I'll soon see how they look and feel.

mattp

One of the Regulars
The heavy tartan will be like a blanket lining, it's what they use for kilts and it should be very warm. I'd love to have need of such a warm jacket, but I'm pushing it even with the Reiver weight tartan for Australia. Good luck with the samples.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Well, it appears that I was able to initiate a spirited discussion about various linings, for which my next choice will be a durable and "hard as nails" cotton drill lining since I live in North Central Texas where temperatures will be triple digits Fahrenheit (38C) for maybe the next 10 weeks! However, I haven't heard much of anything said about the medium weight horsehide jackets made by Aero other than most prefer FQHH over MWHH. Does anyone have anything else to say before I make the Aero plunge again? Any comments, including pictures, would be helpful. At this point I am leaning toward another black medium weight HH jacket, although I am still considering the jerky russet MWHH. Since my other Highwayman is dark brown with reddish tint, my choice of leaning toward the black MWHH is based primarily on minimizing duplication. Regarding that issue, it would be tempting to consider a 30's HB instead, although that is a whole new ballgame.

In my short time here, I just don't recall a lot of MWHH jackets being bought. Good luck, I hope whatever you order is perfect for your needs.

Why not ask Amanda about their 'shaved FQHH' which is lighterweight than regular FQHH(probably in the med HH range). Some here have used it for Aero A2 repros with good results. The nice thing about it is...it ages very similar to reg FQHH. Nice graining and marbling as it breaks in compared to the smoother appearance of med HH.
Amanda can give you options concerning hide and linings for a hotter climate. Before you pull the trigger..check it out. There are pics here of the shaved FQHH...but they might be kind of hard to find. If I remember correctly someone had one in the 'for sale section' a few months ago.
Good luck with your research!
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats