Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman with mid-weight horsehide:advice requested

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I am about to pull the trigger on another Aero Highwayman but with medium weight horsehide and cotton drill lining. Texas weather is not cold enough to me for FQHH and alpaca wool lining. It is either black or jerky russet. Does anyone have any input or pictures to help me decide which way to go?

D

Deleted member 16736

I am about to pull the trigger on another Aero Highwayman but with medium weight horsehide and cotton drill lining. Texas weather is not cold enough to me for FQHH and alpaca wool lining. It is either black or jerky russet. Does anyone have any input or pictures to help me decide which way to go?

1. Ask for samples from Amanda so you can make an informed decision after handling the leather yourself.

2. I received every HH sample from Aero and liked the russet jerky best as I believed it was the most authentic leather for a 30s/40s jacket.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
The jerky russet is great, but also quite substantial. It feels softer than the FQHH but looks nearly as thick. I have a jacket in russet goat and it's much lighter than the FQHH as well as the jerky russet. I can wear it in much warmer weather than the FQHH. I also used the A-2 mustard summer cotton lining, which is a lot lighter than the cotton drill. So maybe this could be a route for you to consider...

Here's my jacket: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?63912-Custom-Aero-1930s-Slim-Fit-Halfbelt-in-Russet-Goat-Pictures!!!

schitzo

Suspended
Are you sure medium weight HH is the way to go? None of these leather are especially warm are they it's the linings that seem to make the difference. If it was me I might be tempted to ask for the lightest FQHH they have at the time (whatever colour that was) or to try out the super durable goat. I, like Johannes, am not convinced by the mid weight stuff. Sure aero will do a good job with it but is that leather worth that price and that wait? And quality wise can it hold a candle to the FQHH which is surely the main lure to aero in the first place

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
I was pleasantly surprised by the mid weight hides, it's still horse hide after all. Ask for samples, roll them around scuff them wet them mold themthat really helped me make my decision.

Gambetto

Familiar Face
I ordered an extra thin FQHH in Cordovan for a half belt. The hide is surprisingly thin. Very nice. It was not marbled as I'd hoped it would be, but the thickness and consistency were quite good.

Windward

Practically Family
I ordered an extra thin FQHH in Cordovan for a half belt. The hide is surprisingly thin. Very nice. It was not marbled as I'd hoped it would be, but the thickness and consistency were quite good.

Gambetto - never heard of "extra thin" FQHH - mostly have tried to get very thick and heavy hide ...
Can you please post pics how it looks ... is it standard FQHH or do you asked for "vintage" cordovan ? (...which is on my wish-list)

BTW: My jerky seal hh jacket is great for warmer weather - got one with purple satin lining, but it takes a lot more years - if ever - to get the same character like FQHH.

I own severa Aeros with the FQHH, and one Medium weight HH.
Not a whole lot of difference in how warm they are.
I prefer the FQHH for how it ages and looks...thought I wouldn't change my medium HH to FQHH.....nice to have some variety.

Have you thought about going with their cotton drill or tartan lining? That's what I have in all of mine. A SIGNIFICANT difference in how warm it makes the jacket. (All my Aero leathers are either cotton drill or tartan lined. I have one of their B10's lined with alpaca. Though the B10 is a cloth jacket, it is MUCH warmer than my leather Aeros. )

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My plan is to use a cotton drill lining. The summer cotton used in the A-2 is too much too thin for my highwayman. I am unfamiliar with the tartan. How much thicker is it than the cotton drill? I also want a very durable lining as well. I think that many use the alpaca lining. Any general thoughts as to durability and desirability of variou linings?

Tartan is lovely and I've seen some really old, beatup jackets that still look great. Plus, there's over 500 to choose from! And it's not terribly warm, IMO.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Are you sure medium weight HH is the way to go? None of these leather are especially warm are they it's the linings that seem to make the difference. If it was me I might be tempted to ask for the lightest FQHH they have at the time (whatever colour that was) or to try out the super durable goat. I, like Johannes, am not convinced by the mid weight stuff. Sure aero will do a good job with it but is that leather worth that price and that wait? And quality wise can it hold a candle to the FQHH which is surely the main lure to aero in the first place

The thinner stuff is very sensible. In a warmer place FQHH is rarely comfortable.I would recommend goat or a 2.5oz HH myself. I had a mate's Highwayman for a year in FQHH - apart from being uncomfortable/bulky leather to wear, it was too hot most of the year.

My plan is to use a cotton drill lining. The summer cotton used in the A-2 is too much too thin for my highwayman. I am unfamiliar with the tartan. How much thicker is it than the cotton drill? I also want a very durable lining as well. I think that many use the alpaca lining. Any general thoughts as to durability and desirability of variou linings?

"Too thin"...why?
Worried about it's durability? It is very very durable. Just look at all those 60+ year old WW2 A2's lined with cotton drill. If taken care of, they do fine.

The tartan lining may be a "bit" thicker than the cotton drill, not enough that I have really noticed.
ALso.....Aero will use tartan for the body lining...but for the sleeves, they use the drill. Never got an explanation why, other than "don't want to waste a tartan on the sleeves". I suspect because the drill wears as good as...or perhaps better...than the tartan, tartan costs Aero more, and they don't want to waste it on a part of the jacket lining you don't see unless you specifically look in the sleeves.
Re; the Alpaca...
Unless you are looking for a jacket that you will only be wearing when it gets COLD....I suspect you will find it too warm.
I've worn my alpaca lined B10 out when it's 55 degrees and been sweating. I tend to run warm though.
Also.....alpaca is scratchy. If you can wear a wool sweater on bare skin without complaints, you likely won't notice it. If you are like me and have skin very sensitive to scratchy material, you will be wearing long sleeve shirts with an alpaca lined jacket.

The thinner stuff is very sensible. In a warmer place FQHH is rarely comfortable.I would recommend goat or a 2.5oz HH myself. I had a mate's Highwayman for a year in FQHH - apart from being uncomfortable/bulky leather to wear, it was too hot most of the year.
Re; "uncomfortable/bulky leather"...some folks just don't like the weight/feel of Aero's FQHH. Others love it. Something you can only decide for yourself.
I LOVE the way Aeros full weight FQHH fits/feels when I wear it. I like that feeling of putting on something with heft and body to it.
A new Aero FQHH jacket is very stiff when you first get it. After a bit of breaking in, it molds to your body/movements and is very comfortable to wear.
I have other leather jackets I wear when I want a lighter weight leather jacket. My default jacket is my Aero FQHH Highwayman with tartan lining.
If it's too hot out for that, it's likely to be too hot out for any leather jacket.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Re; "uncomfortable/bulky leather"...some folks just don't like the weight/feel of Aero's FQHH. Others love it. Something you can only decide for yourself.
I LOVE the way Aeros full weight FQHH fits/feels when I wear it. I like that feeling of putting on something with heft and body to it.
A new Aero FQHH jacket is very stiff when you first get it. After a bit of breaking in, it molds to your body/movements and is very comfortable to wear.
I have other leather jackets I wear when I want a lighter weight leather jacket. My default jacket is my Aero FQHH Highwayman with tartan lining.
If it's too hot out for that, it's likely to be too hot out for any leather jacket.

I'd love to love the FQHH too. I love the idea of it. A bit of armour made of a thick hide. Unfortunately I just can't do it. ;)

Windward

Practically Family
Hi Winward, the pics are already up. Search my name and "half belt". You will find them easily.

Thanks - just take a look at your jacket - great jacket and fit especially the lenght - may I ask for close up pics to see the grain etc.
Thanks WW

Sillyrib

Familiar Face
tartan is warmer than the drill. I dont know if they have anything lighter weight than the drill. I would ask Amanda. the heavy fqh is only surpassed by the heavy steer. Have only had a sample of the med weight horse. Goat is also an option for lighter weight.

Dissenting voice again.
The tartan is not a thick tartan like you'd find on a blanket.
It is thin..minimally thicker than the cotton drill. Enough so that for me, I don't really notice a difference in thickness between the two.
Re; it being "warmer"...again, not something I have ever noticed. Especially when factoring in that the tartan lining is just the body of the jacket...not the sleeves, which are lined with drill anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats