Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman weight advice

Kniperider

New in Town
cotton tartan lining is very nice in warmer conditions, wears like poplin shirts.
View attachment 519406

Aero is getting a new mid weight leather from Horween called Pinnacle. It’s only matter of weeks away, worth the wait to see how it wears.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-has-a-new-leather-called-pinnacle.110850/

Theres also a thread on Highwayman’s, it has all the different HWYmans except the 59er one.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/highwayman-zip-sleeve-highwayman-database.99955/page-4

The Thunderbay is just a label. There’s also a Highwayman label. The confusing part is that there is a Thunderbay jacket that is shearling lined, sort of looks like a Highwayman with a belt, that would be a bit warm for down under.
The pinnacle looks interesting and the cotton tartan would be sufficient for the 2-3 months of winter that we experience in Perth, maybe a fqhh with cotton lining and no cuffs would work here.

Kniperider

New in Town
I have several Aero's and think FQHH is likely too heavy for your use. I also have an Aero goat skin as well as a jerky HH, but my favorites are a couple of Aero's with Vicenza HH. My advice is go with either black or seal Vicenza HH and cotton drill lining. Since you live in a warm climate, order without knit wristers. Your greatest challenge will be nailing down sizing.
Great advice, the black Vicenza looks great, the Thurston bros has one for sale atm. agree sizing will be the challenge.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great advice, the black Vicenza looks great, the Thurston bros has one for sale atm. agree sizing will be the challenge.

Thurston Bros is a great shop but I wouldn’t recommend ordering from them if you’re in Aus.

The Thurston premium gets you, in the US, a fit jacket and so on. If you’re ordering from them to Aus, you’ll basically have paid American customs duties and other costs for no reason, amounting to about $300-400 more than the price of the jacket. Better off ordering direct from Aero.

Personally I’d recommend the black goat over the black Vicenza, but in any case there are several goat and Vicenza Highwayman jackets on Aero’s sale page.

A rule of thumb for ordering:

Highwayman/Zip-sleeve Highwayman: Order either your chest size for the intended boxy fit or one size down for a somewhat boxy but closer-in-the-shoulders fit. (With the drape of the lighter leathers, these boxy fits look particularly good.)

59er Highwayman: Order true to chest size.

Premier Highwayman: Order one size up from your chest size as the shoulders and other dimensions are quite small on this.

So if someone had a 40” chest (as I do), he would get the first in either 38 or 40, the 59er in 40, the Premier in 42.

Kniperider

New in Town
Thurston Bros is a great shop but I wouldn’t recommend ordering from them if you’re in Aus.

The Thurston premium gets you, in the US, a fit jacket and so on. If you’re ordering from them to Aus, you’ll basically have paid American customs duties and other costs for no reason, amounting to about $300-400 more than the price of the jacket. Better off ordering direct from Aero.

Personally I’d recommend the black goat over the black Vicenza, but in any case there are several goat and Vicenza Highwayman jackets on Aero’s sale page.

A rule of thumb for ordering:

Highwayman/Zip-sleeve Highwayman: Order either your chest size for the intended boxy fit or one size down for a somewhat boxy but closer-in-the-shoulders fit. (With the drape of the lighter leathers, these boxy fits look particularly good.)

59er Highwayman: Order true to chest size.

Premier Highwayman: Order one size up from your chest size as the shoulders and other dimensions are quite small on this.

So if someone had a 40” chest (as I do), he would get the first in either 38 or 40, the 59er in 40, the Premier in 42.
Thanks for your advice, i'll most likely be looking for a used jacket as I won't wear it too much here and it may take years to break in and develop a patina.

I'll certainly take into account your advice regarding sizing as this is going to my biggest risk ordering online.

Everyone's advice is greatly appreciated.

Aloysius

Thanks for your advice, i'll most likely be looking for a used jacket as I won't wear it too much here and it may take years to break in and develop a patina.

I'll certainly take into account your advice regarding sizing as this is going to my biggest risk ordering online.

Everyone's advice is greatly appreciated.

Ordering a used jacket does open up your options but I’d definitely look at things here as well.

Furthermore you might find that an apprentice or blue label jacket from Aero costs less than the used one. As far as break in is concerned, many of the leathers do not require break in at all–here I am thinking of the goat or the Jerky for instance.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Theres quite a few used Highwayman’s in Japan between ¥30,000 to ¥50,000 (330 to 550 aud). 2nd Street jackets are also listed on Rakuten. And I think you Aussies are also part of the Pacific trade agreement thing so no extra duty, just regular sales tax.
https://search.rakuten.co.jp/search/mall/Aero+leather/?used=1

Old Highwaymans runs a size smaller, from the previous management, old size 42 is currently size 40.

Kniperider

New in Town
Thanks for this info. I used to used Global Rakuten but this was shut down. I didn’t realise Rakuten.co.Jp was still available to use. So many jackets end up in Japan!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
If you use a proxy service like FromJapan they offer a Rakuten discount from 7% to 10% once every month. The other proxies are only 5% discount. Proxy fees and shipping (Fedex) is about ¥6000 to ¥7000. The only drawback is the lack of bigger sizes but they do pop up, 44 to 48, just have to be patient...

Kniperider

New in Town
If you use a proxy service like FromJapan they offer a Rakuten discount from 7% to 10% once every month. The other proxies are only 5% discount. Proxy fees and shipping (Fedex) is about ¥6000 to ¥7000. The only drawback is the lack of bigger sizes but they do pop up, 44 to 48, just have to be patient...
Thanks for sharing this. Seems a good way to get a used jacket at reasonable price. I'm a little worried about the accuracy of the measurements the sellers list, as this is what will be relied upon.

Edward

Bartender
Ok, so is this a standard FQHH highwayman?

The black one in that photo is a standard HWM, but with the yoke front instead of plain front with breast zip pocket. The latter (in the reddish shade in your photos) is what you'll get if you order a standard Highwayman with no variation in spec, so watch out for that if the former is what you want.

With hide, I agree that the midweight horse (as used in Aero's A2s) or goat is the best bet; the goat would be my preference. Also, stick to the lighter, cotton linings, and go for an unbrushed cotton. I would personally also avoid satin lining in either body or sleeves if you will be wearing it in warmer climes as well - I always find satin sticks to my skin when it's warmer and makes a jacket unbearable to wear far faster than cotton drill.

Turnip

My zip sleeve HWM in FQHH is ~3,4kg at size 48 and with cotton drill lining. Hope this might be helpful.

full

MrProper

My size 44 regular Premier HWM in CXSH/Moleskin has 2.65 kg
My size 44 regular Premier HWM in Badalassi/Lochcarron Tartan Wool hat 2.65 kg too
I didn't expect these two to weigh the same/less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff