Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Hooch Hauler Thread 2022

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Please post your Aero Hooch Hauler jacket here.

Here are some recent ones I found from search:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-leather-hooch-hauler.103911/
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/new-aero-hooch-hauler.96687/

And the original one that got my interest:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/new-aero-hooch-hauler-and-broken-in-premier-halfbelt.97155/

And this one with a clean back:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fs-aero-simplified-hooch-hauler-in-black-fqhh-sz-44.107950/

And here is mine. I've got two, one size 42 with buttons and winter lining and one size 40 stock jacket with zipper.
The button version:
IMG_7919.JPG
IMG_7920.JPG
IMG_7921.JPG

IMG_7958.JPG
IMG_7969.JPG
IMG_7975.JPG
IMG_7987.JPG
IMG_7993.JPG

Big shout out to Morgan. She did an EXCELLENT job on my recent Aero jackets. Excellent. Aero didn't modify their machine setting. Just Morgan did excellent job at putting the jackets together.

And the stock jacket in Badalassi in size 40 with zipper:
Aero Hooch Hauler 40 Chestnut Badalassi 0002.JPG
Aero Hooch Hauler 40 Chestnut Badalassi 0003.JPG

There is a better evolved pic somewhere in the Badalassi thread but I can't find it on my computer.

What I have to say about Aero Hooch Hauler:
1) High arm holes, not for layering, but very tailored
2) The center vent in the back actually provides very good range of motion. More so than the double pleats+yoke in my experience. The full action double pleat is still be best for range of motion.
3) It's slim cut but have good shoulder width and high arm holes, very different pattern than other Aero 50s design. The higher arm hole takes time to put on, one sleeve at a time, but once on feels better than the lower armhole stuff.

Post your Aero Hooch Haulers and what's your opinions about them!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Very nice. Does your Winter one have an open (non-zip) breast pocket? I've been considering that option myself, wondering what it's like. Is it as deep as the regular, mire angled zip-type?
Yup it's the same deep pocket as the zipper one. Can swallow the whole phone. I actually have my chest zip pocket unzipped most of the time for the phone easy in and out. I've seen some Maxwells with a loop and button but these chest pockets are quite deep so the phone stays in there very secure.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm trying to lure out all the Hooch owners. I know there's gotta be a few here and there. Would like to see what others have done to their custom Hooch. The midnight blue one from Raz stuck with me. A coin pocket version or a Johnson Bro style pocket version is definitely on the wish list. Luckily the sale ended.

Edward

Bartender
Yup it's the same deep pocket as the zipper one. Can swallow the whole phone. I actually have my chest zip pocket unzipped most of the time for the phone easy in and out. I've seen some Maxwells with a loop and button but these chest pockets are quite deep so the phone stays in there very secure.

It's a feature I really like on my Bootlegger, that deep pocket; big enough to obviate the need of an inner pocket (the smaller ones on my half belt styles can't take much in them at all). Going unzipped appeals to me for something just a bit different (ditto, a button front). I try to keep all of my jackets a bit of a variation from the others (colour, hide, lining, weight, season....) so I can still convince myself that I "need" them, or they fill a hole the others don't....

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have a Japanese extra slim fit Bootlegger with a zipless map pocket. Initially, I wasn't sure about it, but it's deep enough for things to be secure and the rain doesn't get in, and it means you've always got somewhere you stick your wallet or phone at a moment's notice. Love the HH in blue with the fur collar and Dustbowl back, turns it into something completely different. *adds to list of future jackets". Doubt I'd add the inside pocket, though, plenty on the exterior.

Edward

Bartender
I have a Japanese extra slim fit Bootlegger with a zipless map pocket. Initially, I wasn't sure about it, but it's deep enough for things to be secure and the rain doesn't get in, and it means you've always got somewhere you stick your wallet or phone at a moment's notice. Love the HH in blue with the fur collar and Dustbowl back, turns it into something completely different. *adds to list of future jackets". Doubt I'd add the inside pocket, though, plenty on the exterior.

My Bootlegger was my first Aero, way back in 2010 at the peak of the "anything goes" days, so I had an inner pocket put on each side. From practical experience now, I wouldn't feel the need for that any more. One, probably, if I was going zipless on the outside, but with a zipped Bootlegger chest pocket I wouldn't feel the need of any inner pocket. The Highwayman was the game-changer for me: mine was bought as a stock (Apprentice Made) model, so has no inner pocket, and with that sizeable zip pocket on its front I discovered I didn't miss the inner pocket.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Yours look great CP!

Here's my Hooch Hauler in CXL FQHH. It's the first and only "real" leather jacket I've experienced, which limits my judgement. After about 4 years I'm in a love/hate space with it right now. I'm considering looking for a bespoke jacket to replace it though I can't find a pattern I like as much.

Love:
1) Look, smell and hand of the leather
2) Back pattern
3) Snugness when zipped up
4) High arm holes, which look cleaner than big arm holes

Hate:
1) Hangs on my neck so much that I can move my shoulders around inside it without the jacket moving. That affects the look, as the shoulder seems never sit on my shoulders, and the feel, when that neck pressure builds over long wear times.
2) High arm holes. which are so high that they push t-shirt sleeves up into my armpits and there isn't even enough room for me to slide a finger in there to adjust it (so, a little too high for my body, not a design flaw).

I battle the stiffness of the CXL HH daily, even as I love it. I think for a future jacket I might look for thinner CXL HH, to reduce that struggle a bit. It just makes it harder to use the jacket as a daily wear.

While I love inside pockets, next time around I'd avoid them now that I see the creases they cause. Outside pockets with no zippers would be the way to go.

EDIT: Forgot to say that, after both the original and replacement stock zippers broke (zipper tape pulled off jacket in both cases), I had AWL in Vancouver put on this #10 deadstock Talon. It zips much more easily, hasn't broken, and l prefer the look of the nickel over the antique brass I originally chose.

IMG_3141.jpg
IMG_3137.jpg
IMG_3140.jpg
IMG_3139.jpg
IMG_3138.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yours look great CP!

Here's my Hooch Hauler in CXL FQHH. It's the first and only "real" leather jacket I've experienced, which limits my judgement. After about 4 years I'm in a love/hate space with it right now. I'm considering looking for a bespoke jacket to replace it though I can't find a pattern I like as much.

Love:
1) Look, smell and hand of the leather
2) Back pattern
3) Snugness when zipped up
4) High arm holes, which look cleaner than big arm holes

Hate:
1) Hangs on my neck so much that I can move my shoulders around inside it without the jacket moving. That affects the look, as the shoulder seems never sit on my shoulders, and the feel, when that neck pressure builds over long wear times.
2) High arm holes. which are so high that they push t-shirt sleeves up into my armpits and there isn't even enough room for me to slide a finger in there to adjust it (so, a little too high for my body, not a design flaw).

I battle the stiffness of the CXL HH daily, even as I love it. I think for a future jacket I might look for thinner CXL HH, to reduce that struggle a bit. It just makes it harder to use the jacket as a daily wear.

While I love inside pockets, next time around I'd avoid them now that I see the creases they cause. Outside pockets with no zippers would be the way to go.

EDIT: Forgot to say that, after both the original and replacement stock zippers broke (zipper tape pulled off jacket in both cases), I had AWL in Vancouver put on this #10 deadstock Talon. It zips much more easily, hasn't broken, and l prefer the look of the nickel over the antique brass I originally chose.

View attachment 458522 View attachment 458524 View attachment 458527 View attachment 458528 View attachment 458529
Heavy CXL is hard on the slim patterns. Especially when it gets cold and Alberta definitely is cold. Looks great though. For everyday wear their new Kelpie is probably a lot better. Has the CXL look but a lot thinner and softer. I've just got a Board Racer in that green Kelpie, it's the same slim cut as the Hooch and it works. But the Kelpie feels very thin. So there isn't much heft to it. If you like the CXL heft, Kelpie doesn't got that feel.

Green Kelpie:
It's actually black with a green grey tint. They have a reddish brown one and black of course. The Kelpie feels a lot thinner, you can see the sharp crease on the sleeves. CXL will be rolls, but Kelpie is sharp creases. But I think on these super tight cuts the leather cannot be that hefty or it'd be uncomfortable to wear.

IMG_8002.JPG

AWL is great I am glad you had good experience there. She used to operate out of Re-ride's basement dingy little place, now she's got her own shop and they do cobbler's jobs too. Very reasonable prices. I've got a bunch stuff I am dropping off at her new shop soon.

This was my modified HH seal jerky with a Levi’s bird of prey pocket setup/lapels:

View attachment 458530

View attachment 458531
Nice! I tried to get a Bird of Prey jacket but no. This just gave me ideas. I like the cinch at the hem instead of waist, makes the jacket more functional.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Heavy CXL is hard on the slim patterns. Especially when it gets cold and Alberta definitely is cold. Looks great though. For everyday wear their new Kelpie is probably a lot better. Has the CXL look but a lot thinner and softer. I've just got a Board Racer in that green Kelpie, it's the same slim cut as the Hooch and it works. But the Kelpie feels very thin. So there isn't much heft to it. If you like the CXL heft, Kelpie doesn't got that feel.

Green Kelpie:
It's actually black with a green grey tint. They have a reddish brown one and black of course. The Kelpie feels a lot thinner, you can see the sharp crease on the sleeves. CXL will be rolls, but Kelpie is sharp creases. But I think on these super tight cuts the leather cannot be that hefty or it'd be uncomfortable to wear.

Never heard of Kelpie - thanks. It looks great on yours! I think I'd miss the heft though.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Never heard of Kelpie - thanks. It looks great on yours! I think I'd miss the heft though.
That's the thing. And thanks to your honest post about CXL Hooch Hauler. I was trying to get opinions on slim jackets done in heavy leather. I don't think they will be comfortable as you have experienced. But thin leather isn't part of the game I signed up for either.
The super slim cuts seems to only work in the thin leather, at least in my experience. Anything thicker than 2.5oz is gonna feel like a straight jacket. If my board racer was done in even vicenza I would've probably sent it right back. Kelpie only works because its thin, like 2.25oz and not stiff. It's really thin, compared to CXL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko