Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Hooch Hauler Thread 2022

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@TartuWolf

IMG_1033.JPG

Hooch Hauler or any of the premier patterns have the high arm pit height. The advantage is the better mobility. The cost for that is that its harder to get in and out of the jacket, you have to raise your arms higher to get into the jacket.

IMG_1038.JPG

Moonshiner or other non premier patterns have the lower armpit height. The advantage is easy to get in and out of. I wear these more often for this reason. Just slips on without raising my arms. The cost is the pointy shoulder in airplane pose. Some would also refer to this as too big and small at the same time.

IMG_1049.jpg

Low armpit but add full action back. This eliminates the pointy shoulder in airplane pose, and is also easy to get in and out of. But the cost is the look of the full action back. When the elastic starts to get stretched out, the "ears" flips up. It's a look thing, but only from the back.

So I think you did well with the Hooche Hauler. Nothing to worry about in terms of mobility. I see you also opt for the Universal zippers which is a good choice. Talons (especially the sunrise ones) looks vintage-y but doesn't last very long with the CXL. The YKK Universal is much better choice.

But grass is greener on the other side. We are our worst enemies... All it takes is a glimpse of whatever is on the other side of that hill...

pattyb95

New in Town
Hello fellow Hooch Hauler enjoyers. I grabbed this one used from Yahoo Japan, just want to get some thoughts on the fit. I feel like it generally fits but is most snug across the back and the middle gusset is having to work overtime. My mobility is definitely limited when lifting my arms. If I decide to grab one of these bad boys as a custom order in the future, is more width in the shoulders what I need? Cheers.
IMG_20231119_230042.jpg
IMG_20231119_230107.jpg
IMG_20231119_230147.jpg

pattyb95

New in Town
Ahh yeah these are good points. It's odd because it's too snug in the back but nice in the torso. May need to pass this one on. Thanks for the input

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I think you have more body taper than the stock Hooch Hauler, and maybe the Bootlegger or a customized Hooch (go up one size and taper down) could also work for you.

But it looks good the way it is now. Congrats. Just wear it for a bit first, and get a good feel for it, especially in CXL leather. CXL fits are really hard to see in the photos. I saw the creases at the upper arm/shoulder area and I would assume it's tighter there but if the mobility checks out then it's good. Just live with it for a while and then you will know what to do with it exactly. You're already ahead by getting one from Yahoo Auction, there's gems there and on 2ndStreet sometimes on very good Aero deals.

TelemarkTumalo

Familiar Face
I'm a bit late to the party, but finalizing an order for a Hooch Hauler through Thurston Brothers. Their correspondence is ideal for me. Questions answered quickly and thoroughly. They sent the try on jacket to me with added advice on options, sizing feedback, etc.

This is size 38 in Badalassi Chestnut. I thought about keeping this one, but already have two black leather jackets and wanted to try a different and lighter color. I really like veg. tan leathers. This is certainly a beautiful leather and feels great. Substantial without feeling too stiff. The zipper is a bit fiddly and somewhat difficult to start. I didn't find the arm holes too high and the jacket reasonable to don/doff.

I'm planning to wear the jacket through winter months with sweater or hoodie underneath and like the feel of this size. Arms give me room to take on and off without dragging. Room under the cuff for my watch.

Waist feels right to me. With jeans and belt on in these pics. First pic with a t shirt and the second with a medium weight sweater.

I have decided on the Badalassi Russet leather as I think it will age well. Based on recs here, I elected for the universal zipper. Thanks to your excellent posts, it made some of these decisions easier. Thanks!

1704651306671.jpeg

44218014-99EF-4866-885F-5B0E93951400_1_105_c.jpeg

E8C4810F-3EAC-4530-95A7-988D9E6990F8_1_105_c.jpeg

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Is this a good reason to revive a thread? Probably not.
But good god, this jacket and fit..
That was a 10/10 for me when I first saw it and it still is 100%.
Dude made 9 posts on TFL and this post was one of them.
KILLED it!

Here's my custom Hooch Hauler (modified body length, hem opening, and sleeves) from Thurston Bros. Tobacco Badalassi! It's about 7 months old. View attachment 459225 View attachment 459226 View attachment 459227 View attachment 459228 View attachment 459229

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
My next Aero will most likely be a Hooch Hauler. I keep stumbling across them and like them every time.
Based on how your jackets usually fit, this may be the Hauler to end all Haulers. I'll be interested to hear what adjustments you make.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Based on how your jackets usually fit, this may be the Hauler to end all Haulers. I'll be interested to hear what adjustments you make.
Thank you very much.
To be honest, I still have no idea. But it would probably be the same as always. Aero gives me the measurements of size 42 and 44 and then I think about what would be a good base. Actually it's always just a longer body and sleeves anyway and then heavily tapered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner