Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Hooch Hauler Thread 2022

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Hooche and Ridley fits similar up top, also similar to Board Racer. Very slim.

I‘m not a fan of small shoulder gussets. Either plain or full action back for me. The pattern doesn’t need them, unless you’re going with heavyweight stuff, in that case I’d think size up is the best option or go with the 30s patterns which is bigger and lower armhole, works better with heavy leather.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does anyone know how does the Hooch Hauler pattern compare to the J-106/Ridley pattern? Trying to decide between these two models. Also how functional is the middle back gusset? Let's say in comparison to the Aero shoulder gussets (Two tone J106) or the bi-swing back (stock J106)

Between the high armholes and shoulder gussets of my Ridley, I get excellent range of movement. High armholes really help the gussets go further, I think.

VintageAggie

New in Town
My brand new as of today Hooch hauler. It’s my first custom jacket and Aero and I am in love.
IMG_7096.jpeg
IMG_7097.jpeg
IMG_7101.jpeg

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@3.14nche
Looks awesome both new and now. Does not look that much different to be honest. Mainly sleeve creasing. Also looks like the sleeves narrowed down a bit, don't look like pipes anymore.
How has the feel changed? Did the leather soften up, become more comfortable, mold to your body?
Can't wait for my Hooch Hauler, should be done in a few weeks!

3.14nche

One of the Regulars
Thank you.
Yes mostly the sleeves, the back has evolved a bit as well.
The front panels are still pretty uniform I guess it will still take a while before it's completely broken in.
I don't think it's significantly softer but with the creasing it feels less stiff overall.
You went for CXLHH right?
hh_back_2022_2023.jpg

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@3.14nche
Yeah the back looks like it developed more than the front.
I went with brown CXFQHH.
How functional would you say is the back gusset now that you wore it for a year?
How's the mobility in general? Arms forward, arms up?

3.14nche

One of the Regulars
@3.14nche
Yeah the back looks like it developed more than the front.
I went with brown CXFQHH.
How functional would you say is the back gusset now that you wore it for a year?
How's the mobility in general? Arms forward, arms up?
Here's the back fully stretched, it does make a difference.
I like that it doesn't stay opened all the time as opposed tp my goatskin Rockafella.
Mobility is not an issue, especially considering how trim it is. I find my Board Racer more restrictive even if I have a bit more room and Vicenza is much lighter.
hh_back.jpg

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The centre vent works really well. The pleat is longer vertically and feels better than the shorter shoulder gussets. Ultimate mobility is G1 jacket like with under arm footballs, high armhole, full action back. Forward, upward back ward, the whole shebang.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Boy that sure sounds reassuring, your comments about mobility give me hope that I won't be disappointed with my incoming Hooch Hauler :) this is getting me hyped up

The premier patterns from Aero has higher armholes than their other patterns. So when you do the raised arm airplane there’s nothing (low armhole) pulling from underneath. This is the advantage of higher armhole. The drawback is that they take a bit longer to put on than the lower armhole jackets. Older gents with shoulder injuries will probably prefer the lower armhole for ease of on/off. There’s always a trade back to every type of design.

just curious, is your jacket in production according to their website? From sale order.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Canuck Panda
I'm extremely flexible so I'm ready to pay that price for mobility.

Well my jacket was finished last week. They nailed all requested measurements, but the shoulders turned out much smaller than requested. We agreed to do a remake. Huge respect to Denny and Aero for making sure they do it right and that the customer is pleased.

It could be that I'm overthinking the shoulders and should have just accepted the jacket. Perhaps it was foolish to go for a remake. I don't know.
Here is the absolute beauty that they made for me:
20230803_133449.jpg
20230803_133503.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Looks great. CXL brown is one of the best for sure. I’ve got some reassuring raised arm pics on my laptop will post them later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner