Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Hooch Hauler Thread 2022

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
That's why I liked your earlier post somewhere else about thinner CXL, if you can find it.

The thing is I'm not convinced CXL is the problem for me. I really think it's the "boxy Aero pattern" problem many posters (but not all, @ton312!) experience. Ultimately I don't know or care if it's the pattern, the neck hole, how the back is stitched to the front, or whatever. I just know it sits on my neck more than my shoulders and that's uncomfortable. I'm sure I'd notice it less with a thinner leather, but I don't think that's the compromise I want to make going forward.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That's why I liked your earlier post somewhere else about thinner CXL, if you can find it.

The thing is I'm not convinced CXL is the problem for me. I really think it's the "boxy Aero pattern" problem many posters (but not all, @ton312!) experience. Ultimately I don't know or care if it's the pattern, the neck hole, how the back is stitched to the front, or whatever. I just know it sits on my neck more than my shoulders and that's uncomfortable. I'm sure I'd notice it less with a thinner leather, but I don't think that's the compromise I want to make going forward.
Valid point. Try on an American brand x-zip, when you get a chance. They do feel a bit different around the neck shoulder area.
Different Aero cuts will also feel different. But imo the Hooch and the Board Racer and their trucker and the Aeromarine are their most "mordern" type (best) fits. If those aren't working for you then try the American brands. They do things a little differently on the other side of this side of the pond.

Robson

Familiar Face
Natural CXL Hooch Hauler, it is indeed very different from my HighwayMan.
Yhe high armpits work very well and the shouders have enough room. They tricky thing with this jacket is the waist.
It is tight, be aware of that, its better to size up, or make sure to contact Aero about it.

Attachments

• IMG_20221020_154101052_2.jpg
    IMG_20221020_154101052_2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20221020_154146461_2.jpg
    IMG_20221020_154146461_2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 217

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Sold mine chiefly because the waist was skin tight. I’ve got a fairly flat stomach, wear a size 30 trousers and had bought a 38 HH. So yeah… it’s trim.

Ha well at my best I'm a 32 and I'm not at my best right now. So that's good to know :p

hjv2

Familiar Face
Here's mine, 10 months old Brown Horween CXL Horsehide. Machined by Morgan Wilson, I guess she's the Hooch Hauler expert ha! No complaints on the work quality, very clean and consistent job for a thick hide like this. The cutter did also well selecting the hides. Beautiful grain out of the box and only pops out more as I watch the jacket age. Color goes from deep dark chocolate brown to russet brown depending on the light. Mine has a tweed lining which looks elegant and suits this model but I found it somewhat itchy against skin. Not that I would wear the jacket bare chested but the lining can creep up to the neck when laying around.

The pattern is actually really nice. The jacket rests nicely on the shoulders and I get a good range of motion even though I was afraid the CXL might be too stiff for a slim jacket like this. Not at all. The hide warms fairly quickly and I hardly feel its weight. The wide shoulders and high armholes seem to work well for my frame. I previously had a Board Racer too but I found the shoulders too narrow to be comfortable. The taper is drastic but not too extreme. In a size 42 mine goes from 57cm p2p to 50cm hem. If I were to nitpick 1-2cm addition to the hem wouldn't hurt. I usually wear the jacket open so it's not a big deal for me. But beware if you have a wide waist.

IMG_20221022_145702.jpg

IMG_20221022_150313.jpg

IMG_20220113_121513.jpg

IMG_20220115_112359.jpg

hjv2

Familiar Face
@Canuck Panda Is that navy mouton Hooch recently made? I'm surprised you got a corduroy strip at the bottom. I thought it was a no no since Lauder days. Great jacket anyhow.

TheWickerMan

New in Town
My Hauler was dispatched on Friday and should be here by the 31st. Hope the customs process won't be too tedious...
Really curious now on how it'll look & fit, after seeing all these cool variants of the jacket posted here.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I’m glad to see all the awesome Hooch jackets here. Thank you all for sharing your Hooch jackets! One of the better pattern from Scotland imo. I would definitely try a CXL version down the road to test its limits.

@hjv2 the corduroy hem comes standard on my Aero jackets lined with quilted body liner. There’s also a small neck corduroy strip too. The corduroy hem gives a nice air tight seal and the neck strip gives the soft comfy touch. I’ve got other brand motorcycle jackets (JL) that also has the suede hem strip which works similar to corduroy and helps to “grab” on and tight seal vs slippery grain leather. It’s a nice addition.

TheWickerMan

New in Town
Alright, so my jacket finally arrived and I've worn it 3-4 times now. Short review:

Fit is good compared to my Fortune Hunter, maybe sleeves are 1-2 cm too long but in time I guess they'll shorten a bit by creasing.

The leather is quite light (Kelpie Brown) but feels resistant. I'm not sure if the leather is from an older batch, as some parts of the jacket look already worn in, the collar being the most visible.

My only complain would be the zipper, it's a Talon and and the last 2 or 3 teeth seem crooked. It's a 50-50 if I can get the jacket zipped up properly or if it'll unzip at the bottom and then have to struggle to put the 2 zipper ends back to be able to unzip properly.
haul1.jpg haul2.jpg haul3.jpg haul4.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Kelpie is awesome hide. On the thin side but I quite like it. The worn in look is most likely from the aniline finish, they do age very fast, like some CXL.

Talon sucks. Universal is much better. Not just Aero Talons, I find most repro bell Talons have some issue with the pin not sitting in the seat properly and then the teeth starts to get jammed. Universal is the much better zip out of the two.

Great jacket.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Congrats on the new jacket! Based on the 2 front pictures, yours may have the same problem mine did when I first got it - the lapels seem folded wrong. They're folded too 'long', like suit jacket lapels. Check the Aero stock images to see how they should be folded. I don't know why this sometimes happens, but I didn't see this until after a few months, and as a result one of my lapels won't really fold properly anymore. But maybe I'm wrong about yours, based on just these pics.

Agree 100% about the stock zipper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112