Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Horsehide stain transfer

Oktagon

New in Town
Firts of all let me say that I love Aero jackets. I own four and wear them regularly.
One thing which I have been trying to investigate is how to stop dye transfer from the leather to the light coloured shirts, sweaters and furniture. My new long halvebelt and barnstormer both suffer from it. It is normal for the excess dye to transfer at first, but we are talking about 2-3 year old jackets as well.
Any ideas?

Milu

Familiar Face
Have you tried asking Aero? With what they cost I would suggest dye transfer is not acceptable:eek:

If you get no satisfaction from Aero and no one with practical experience chimes in, you could EXPERIMENT by spraying with scotchguard.

Cordovan??

This color transfer has been mentioned before about an Aero cordovan jacket on this or another forum. From the other example,it seems this could have occurred from using a certain kind of conditioner on a new jacket. Strange...as I have a half dozen Aero utility jackets (Hwymn,HB,etc.)in brown and black and have never notice a problem with dye rubbing off. However,I've never used conditioner unless the leather seemed to be getting a little dry. Good advice:contact Aero!
HD

Mike K.

One Too Many
Haven't had a problem with their standard finishes, but it seems to be a problem with the leathers that are designed to "age" quickly (e.g. oil-pull). Rather than try something like Scotchguard, I would recommend going to tandyleather.com and purchasing one of their satin sheen finishes. It looks like milk but dries clear. It's a made-for-purpose sealer for leather.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Where is the service from Aero ?

I think when you pay the kind of money Aero charges this should not happen. I have a very good friend that has two jackets one in black the other in cordovan and both of them has ruined some of his clothing and Aero has been less than helpful so far.:rage:

Barry

Practically Family
This happened to me with two jackets: A Black Highwayman and a Cordovan Cossack. Unfortunately, I put Pristine Clean on the Cossack thinking that would alleviate some of the transfer issues. It did not. I wrote about this on another forum. The color transfer really upset me. I can't tell you what it's like to have a jacket that fits perfectly and "feels" great but at the same time has a problem like this. I have no other complaints about the jacket other than the color transfer. The fit, fittings and everything else are dead on (100% what I wanted and hoped for).

Please do not put anything on your jackets. If the problem is bad you just might want to send them back to Aero. I experienced color transfer on the collar, cuffs and also around the button holes on my shirts. The Cordovan jacket bled onto my trousers...it looked like some took makeup (lipstick) and rubbed it along the pockets of my trousers....it was so bad that the woman at the dry cleaners noticed it immediately and shouted "This will not come out!" in broken English several times. (It did come out though - with one cleaning).

Barry

Oktagon

New in Town
Mine transfers the same way as Barry's., excpt I have not noticed anything on the trousers. It did transfer onto the leather an swade seat of by brand new SUV (came out after about 30 minutes with isopropanol).
I asked Mark at Aero for the advise, and his was not to wear the jacket while driving.
I did not consider this to be qiality issue, since all of my Aero jackets do it. I just assumed that it wil eventually stop. It appears this might be ongoing issue with them...

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Quote....I asked Mark at Aero for the advise, and his was not to wear the jacket while driving.

What a crock... Why have a jacket if you can't wear it while driving.... I think Aero gives great service to sell you a jacket but if the jacket has a problem you are left out in the cold...:(

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
i don't understsand this...they sell leather pants too, don't they...are you suppose to take them off while driving your car, too ?that might be complicated in some jurisdictions....

why would you produce a jacket that you couldn't wear in a car ?

that would really tick me off with this poor customer service....

mark the shoeshine boy

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
HoosierDaddy said:
I haven't had any trouble with of my ten Aero jackets. Last three bought in 2005. Must be something fairly new.....:eek:
HD

A buddy of mine has a black oil-pull horsehide Aero "Stockman" jacket purchased in 2003 that continues to bleed color profusely. I have personally witnessed the damage to his shirt collars etc. Thankfully none of my seven Aeros do this because man would I be pissed.

A couple of questions.

I was just wondering if it might be possible to use some type of leather treatment like a polish or wax of sorts to put a layer on the outside to keep the color from transfering?

If not, then is there a way to "wash" the jacket to get out as much of the excess color and stop the transfer?

Sincerely,

I think that I would rip up an old soft cotton sheet...and buff the hell out of the jacket for about a week. Surely the excess dye on the surface would finally buff off. If not I'd hound Aero about it...and insist on talking to Will for a fix!
HD

jacketquest

Familiar Face
Both of my FQHH utility jackets (black Highwayman and brown long HB) experienced some color loss. These jackets were purchased in 2000 and 2002, respectively so they're not new. The Highwayman and LHB transferred color onto the tan leather seats in my car! I spoke with Ken Calder (when he was still there) and my recollection was that he was surprised that it did this. I asked him about how to clean the seats and he tried following up with the tannery but got no answers. In the end I tried a few different cleaners but none were able to entirely remove the color transfer from my seats. I now have a backing I place on the seats when I wear the Aero's in the winter time. However I don't have anything protecting the arm rests so they have quite a bit of color rubbed off on them.

I don't know if it's still done but on my jackets there's a label sewn into the lining that reads "This garment has been manufactured from horsehide using the original 1920's tanning process. Originally a workwear material and as such may experience color loss from time to time."

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
They need a warning in every jacket.

I asked a guy on Ebay why he was selling his Aero HH and he wrote me back and said the color had come off on his wife's 2007 Cadillac Escalade leather seats and she was not a happy camper... He has not been able as of yet to get it out of the leather. The dealer said they could try to redye them or he would have to buy new skins...Which could cost thousands...

patterson

One of the Regulars
I've owned 8 Aero's over the years, and currently still have 3... I had the problem you relate with 2 of the ones I've let go or given away over the last few years. One was a private label A2 in front qrt HH (cordovan) and the other was a Bronco in oil pulled hh. The cordovan was apparently my fault, as I treated it with Lexol cream based on the advice I received on another forum. It bled like an extra from CSI... The oil pulled Bronco and I were caught in a downpour at Disneyland. When I took off the jacket, my shirt underneath was ruined. Both leather and spun silk lining had bled. In fact, when I took off the shirt it looked like I had been beaten with a baseball bat...:eek:

I've never had a problem with any of their other leathers. Ken Calder was very helpful in both cases, though I do not know if he is still running the place?

jacketquest

Familiar Face
^^^ I can believe the story about the escalade. The dye is impossible to clean off. I think he'd be better off redying the seats with something like from Leatherique, which I've heard works well. I have only used their conditioning products, not the dyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay