Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero J106 - Too big?

Is the jacket too big?

• Yes, definitely.

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Nah, it's okay.

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I asked Carrie about their supposed trimmer fit, I thought Insurrection's patterns are slimmer by standard but the only thing different is that Insurrection's J106 has shoulder gussets by standard. Just wanted to clear this out in case anyone else was wondering (like me).

malligator

New in Town
Malligator, I could be biased, but I don't think your jacket looks that large on you at all. :) But yes, I hear you, my jacket's brand new, it stills behaves like it's made from a cardboard but still, either way, new or broken in, it won't be getting any better no matter what I do. At least until you've lost weight, you had a perfect jacket - from the photos on your dropbox gallery, your jacket fits you absolutely perfectly - while I'd have to gain like 40 pounds. . .

Also, I think that our jackets are cut a bit differently. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've went with supposedly trimmer Insurrection version of the style, with shoulder gussets, true? My J106 is Aero's original pattern, one with much tapered sleeves (detail that I particularly like) and most importantly, full action back. It is a somewhat... roomier jacket by default, I believe, that's why it will only go from bad to worse. Right now, it's still keeping the form due to the stiffness of the leather, but once the shoulders start drooping and whatnot, I might as well be wearing a tent.

xOUTLAWx, Heavyduti; Yep, no doubt about it. Outlaw, you're right about the V shape. More I think about it, more I am convinced that this style isn't meant for me...

Edward, don't know where else to tell you, but you've exceeded your stored private messages quota so I can't respond to your PM. :)

I can't vouch for the photos in my Dropbox. That was a different jacket (steerhide) and I can't remember what I weighed at the time. I've lost 110 pounds since 2010. Unfortunately I jumped the gun and bought my dream jacket too soon. I want to say I weighed about 30 pounds more than I do now. I am currently 5'11" and 180 lbs.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Monitor, if you want a cool looking D pocket jacket, get the Terminator 2, made by Johnson. For Buco J106 repro, get the Stallion from Schott. I had my share of goatskin Aero J106 misfittings and had to sell it as new (Bret, thanks for reminding me Aero could do remake!). Mine was long and wide, insane.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think I missed it, but is the new Aero you're flaunting the remake? I'll have to go back to the pictures, but was it a J106? It looked more like a KOTR.

Regius, Aero remade my J106 so it's absolutely perfect now. Albeit, it had to be modified to hell and back to be so. If it hadn't happened, I would've gone with Stallion. RMC and Eastman are way out of my price range. T2 is in the process.

Nick, lol yeah, it's a remake. It's still a J106, just with pillion pockets. I haven't given up on those. And hey, at least I didn't make a separate thread just for it. XD

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Regius, Aero remade my J106 so it's absolutely perfect now. Albeit, it had to be modified to hell and back to be so. If it hadn't happened, I would've gone with Stallion. RMC and Eastman are way out of my price range. T2 is in the process.

Nick, lol yeah, it's a remake. It's still a J106, just with pillion pockets. I haven't given up on those. And hey, at least I didn't make a separate thread just for it. XD

Ah! Pillion! All this time I thought it was a pocket lining material! Sorry I'm a Yank!

I had to google for the meaning too so no sweat. :D It's just a hole, though, goes all the way inside the jacket, between the leather and the lining so technically they're not really pockets anyway. Good for hiding stuff.

Edward

Bartender
I like them as a detail too.... the idea was that your pillion passenger could stick his/her hands inside your jacket to keep them warm, and to hang on. Me, I just like the extra zips.... Guess I'm not as over my old bondagewear days as I thought. ;) Be interested in hearing more about the mods they made. The J106 is one jacket I have my eye on for after I've shed the weight I need to lose. I'll be 4-6" narrower round the waist by then, si I'll likely need a more tapered fit than now, albeit that I'm not a fan of making them uber-tight at the waist.

Edward, yep, they have to be rationed carefully but zips are cool which is why I wanted as many as the design allows. Plus you rarely see those pockets anymore. Love to listen to people speculate as to what possible use they might have. Once I explain, everyone's amazed at how brilliant that actually is. Kinda odd they're a standard on King of the Road, which is a straightforward remake of Sears MC jacket that NEVER had 'em, and not on J106. Insurrection says they mess up the design of J106 but I don't see how. [huh]

Anyway, after the first one didn't fit, while waiting for Aero to decide what to do, I made a list of all the details that differentiate Buco from J-106 and sent it to Denny. Frankly, didn't think they'd agree on any of it and was really surprised when Denny greenlighted all but one modification - collar snaps. Aero flat out refused to do this, though it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I don't mind, really.
For the mods, it's mostly visual, stuff like no leather piping around the D-pocket zipper, snap at the bottom of the jacket, inside sleeve zipper, as opposed to back seam sleeve zipper, awesome Rob Roy lining, passenger pockets of course, mixed chrome & brass hardware w/ chain pulls, etc. etc. As I said, minute details, but I'm really happy with how it all turned out. As for the fit, the jacket is even more tapered toward the waist as Denny was afraid that even the sz. 40 might be too wide. Came out perfectly that way albeit there's still a little room for layering! Can't imagine why are they so wide at the bottom, J106's, compared to say MC jacket which is skintight at the bottom, as you know.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Edward, yep, they have to be rationed carefully but zips are cool which is why I wanted as many as the design allows. Plus you rarely see those pockets anymore. Love to listen to people speculate as to what possible use they might have. Once I explain, everyone's amazed at how brilliant that actually is. Kinda odd they're a standard on King of the Road, which is a straightforward remake of Sears MC jacket that NEVER had 'em, and not on J106. Insurrection says they mess up the design of J106 but I don't see how. [huh]

Anyway, after the first one didn't fit, while waiting for Aero to decide what to do, I made a list of all the details that differentiate Buco from J-106 and sent it to Denny. Frankly, didn't think they'd agree on any of it and was really surprised when Denny greenlighted all but one modification - collar snaps. Aero flat out refused to do this, though it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I don't mind, really.
For the mods, it's mostly visual, stuff like no leather piping around the D-pocket zipper, snap at the bottom of the jacket, inside sleeve zipper, as opposed to back seam sleeve zipper, awesome Rob Roy lining, passenger pockets of course, mixed chrome & brass hardware w/ chain pulls, etc. etc. As I said, minute details, but I'm really happy with how it all turned out. As for the fit, the jacket is even more tapered toward the waist as Denny was afraid that even the sz. 40 might be too wide. Came out perfectly that way albeit there's still a little room for layering! Can't imagine why are they so wide at the bottom, J106's, compared to say MC jacket which is skintight at the bottom, as you know.

Those sound like amazing modifications, and the snap at the bottom is reminiscent of Langlitz jackets! I reckon the sleeve zipper at the back is a very tight, proper MC jacket sleeve zipper (on Vanson & Schott jackets)?

Man, this really sounds like a grail to me.

Edward

Bartender
Any good photos of the finished jacket up yet? I can see the benefit of a jacket with space to layer. I think with this style I'd like a couple of inches over my trouserwaist size, but not much more.... (why I have to wait til I shift my excess lard before one of these!). The MC jacket, tbh, I think Aro need to rejig the pattern. The Size 42 seems to be about 36" on the waist, At least on mine, which seems crazy for the average person. I think a 6"-8" drop would be much more realistic....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy