Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero J106 - Too big?

Is the jacket too big?

• Yes, definitely.

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Nah, it's okay.

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters
Okay, let's start on with the good - My J106 finally arrived. First I gotta say, I've had some fit trouble with my previous jacket and while I won't get into specifics, I feel that it would be horribly unjust of me to keep quiet about how, aside from being absolute pleasure to communicate, right Aero has done by me. I am quite literally convinced that no other company in the world would've done the same. I've dealt with quite a few jacket manufacturers but this, this is something I have never encountered before. Maybe it's just how it's done in the civilized world, not where I hail from? I don't know. All I know is that Aero has my infinite gratitude and my loyalty. I ain't exaggerating or anything, nor am I saying this because Aero's one of TLF's favourites, or anything like that. I mean every word of it. Take it as you will.

Right. On to the jacket.

God knows this forum has seen its share of Aeros, and there ain't much I can say that hasn't been said before. Okay, I've (had) five I believe Aero jackets till this one, and I've handled a few more, but this one's the finest I've ever seen. Made by Julie, from leather matching to machining, it's quite literally as perfect as I'd imagine a jacket can be. I've taken a few snaps of the jacket, check it out for yourself. By the way, I wasn't going for a Buco repro with this one, just wanted to have all the features that I find aesthetically and practically appealing. Full action back, for instance, makes a jacket much more comfortable than shoulder gussets, especially for riding; sleeve seam seems like a most practical spot to place a zipper, instead of what was a standard on Bucos (inside sleeve zippers always seem to get in the way and scratch on everything, starting from the jacket itself); and of course the D-pocket, something that I don't understand how I could've lived without before. Seriously, that thing is insanely practical! Pillion pockets because I had high hopes that this might convince my lady to sometimes take a ride with me. Okay, the gallery:
http://s866.photobucket.com/user/DogLizard/library/Aero J106

Right, now for the bad - the fit. I'm fairly certain the jacket's too big for me. I've been trying it on last few days that it's been with me, but I'm afraid it's just too damn big. And not by a little - I'm not too fussy when it comes to size, but this one just feels wrong. Maybe it's too new, I don't know, but there's just way too much gut room on this jacket. Weirdest part is, this J106 is sz. 42, same as Aero's MC jacket that I have and that jacket is almost skintight around the waist - and generally, a perfect fit - while the 106... Well, see for yourselves. I've wanted to make a proper presentation but since the whole experience has been tainted by the fit, I'm sick and tired of going crazy thinking about it (I've been through 'it's okay' to 'I'm giving it away' one too many times...) so I've made a few quick fit selfies for you guys to deliver a verdict upon - too large for this type of jacket? Acceptable? Please, help me out.
Here's the gallery:
http://s866.photobucket.com/user/DogLizard/library/fit
BTW, ignore the jacket length. I specifically requested it this short - or rather, I requested for what is little above the standard length for these jackets. Don't find riding in jackets longer than 25 inches all that comfortable, and I think classic MC jackets look good only when rightly short. No point in stretching 'em, people were neither short nor dumb back then.

Finally, the ugly - There's a poll. XD

Right, that's that. Pardon the long post. I'll stop yapping. On to you. Be brutally honest, enjoy the gallery. And thank you!

schitzo

Suspended
Monitor, have you been playing away with my girl? Cos those fit pics look suspiciously like her handiwork

In your blurred and crappy shots, with it open, it sort of looks OK. But this cannot be my definitive answer.

I think If you can take a couple of good shots, one from in front and one from behind with the jacket zipped up, you'll earn more reliable data. That said, from what you are saying of the fit it sounds like it blatantly isn't right, as for a jacket that is, these kind of doubts don't come into play.

FWIW I have no problem with polls and I'll happily vote in yours just as soon as you can upload some better shots

nick123

I'll Lock Up
VERY nice jacket!
The back looks about right, as does the front pic when zipped up. But the jacket looks a bit big in the waist, but not too badly, and the jacket is so cool looking that it hides it well. If you were to size down, it might end up being too tight in the upper arms/shoulders though.
It looks like a nice fit with some extra room.

And I've concluded this style of jacket looks the part when it's belt high or shorter. My Johnson motorcycle jacket falls 1.5 inches below my belt and I feel it's too long for this style. IMO you did right there.

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Those really are about the worst fit pics I've seen in some time :lol: ;)

In all seriousness; if you for a moment think it's too big then it's too big. aero will do a remake. I'd take em up on it. The length looks like you could go about an extra 1/2". Arms look good but the body looks too wide. Love this pattern- I'm a huge d pocket fan.

Good luck bro. It's frustrating, huh?

trapp

Practically Family
That is one beautiful jacket.

As to fit, tough to comment intelligently on fit with those photos, esp. when the arm holding the camera is up (which draws the jacket up). It certainly doesn't look bad. But as Breton says, it's how you feel about the fit that matters.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
What are the actual pit to pit and waist measurements? It's a bloody nice jacket, but I've had the same fit issues, it stresses me out, and I never end up wearing them, even if people say it looks good, I just don't feel good in it.

Thank you for the comments and the honesty, guys! :D As much as I was hoping to wake up to a different kind of comments, I'm happy to finally have my mind at ease. Poll seems to be pretty conclusive, too...

Yeah, the photos are extremely crap, but I just wanted to show you the excess gut space. Perhaps even my MC jacket is a tad too big, but because that jacket has such a pronounced V shape, it just sits, and most importantly feels perfectly on me. J106 is supposed to be the trimmest of Aero designs but... Either I am not a size 42 or I don't know.

I agree. Those photos are the crap. Okay, as much as I loathe asking her to help me out with my fashion items as she calls it (I tired of hearing how I am 'worse than a woman', whatever that means), I got her to agree to shuddup about it by guaranteeing a stake meal so here are some... well, less crappy photos. Don't know why the back photos always come out blurry. Anyway, I am wearing just a shirt underneath. In the last photo, I've folded a handful of the leather from the back, to achieve the fit I was hoping for.

Link with the full gallery: http://s866.photobucket.com/user/DogLizard/library/Fit

Saddest part is that according to her, I should sell the jacket because it's way too small. I've had jackets with shoulders drooping down to my elbows that she complained about being too small.

Schizo, I doubt there's another person as patient as I am to handle that thing so I'm not sure... XD Anyway, just for you, better photos. And now, to the poll.

brenton, that's the problem - Aero's already been way too forthcoming with me, certainly more than I deserve, so I honestly don't feel right whining about it. Don't wanna be 'It's that guy again'. :(

Bunyip, measurements are; 47" around the chest, right under the armholes, but that quickly tapers down to 43.5" which is how wide the jacket is at the bottom hem.
At close to 6.1, I am 43.5 around chest and 37 inches around waist.

Thanks again for helping me out!

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
For me it would be too short for on the bike and a bit wide at the waist ... the waist can be nipped in easilly ( through a taper on the side seams ( an easy mod for the likes of Julie Leitch .... who makes an awful lot of jackets !)

The length however is MUCH more difficult to resolve ... I'd probably want an inch or two on that to stop the wind whisling round my kidneys and the fear of it riding up and exposing my lower back in a fall.

Just MHO .. looks a great fit everywhere else though and sleeves look just right for riding.

pipvh

Practically Family
I hate to add negativity but the fit around the waist would be a deal-breaker for me. I can't stand a gap between my waist and a jacket. Otherwise, spectacular item.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I just sent back an Aero route 66 because it fit me more or less like your jacket fits you!

To me the front shot is ok, but the back is just wrong, it is far to wide pit to pit in the back, the flaring at the waist is just to much, and the sleeves are far to baggy!

This seems to be a regular thing in the way Aeros fit, and is one of the reason i don't think i will ever own one...

Plumbline, yep, it's sad that it is somehow great around the shoulders and the sleeves indeed are perfect (26 inches) while everything else is much too large. Length isn't a problem for me, I have kidney panels that I wear underneath the shirt as I have discovered that no jacket will cover my lower back, so I figured I'd rather go with what was a standard length for this classic style.

pipvh, yeah, I am the same so I guess that's that, then. Like I said, I'm not too fussy at all when it comes to jackets, and inch more or less don't make no difference to me same as I don't mind what sort of a cut the jacket is, but so much space around the waist is unacceptable, specially for an MC jacket... I hear you Carlos, vintage fit can be a bit off putting but this jacket's actually supposed to be much trimmer than, say, Route 66. Still, you're right about my jacket.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It does look wide from the chest down to the waist but we also have no idea how you plan to wear it e.g. with armour or vest and whether it should cover also your belt etc. From the way you describe it, I guess you have made up your mind.

It was to be an all purpose jacket. On and off the bike, be it hot or cold. I don't mind some room for layering, but nothing I've tried putting on underneath the jacket does much difference. I guess I'll stick with Aero's V shaped stuff from now on...

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It was to be an all purpose jacket. On and off the bike, be it hot or cold. I don't mind some room for layering, but nothing I've tried putting on underneath the jacket does much difference. I guess I'll stick with Aero's V shaped stuff from now on...
Incidentally, have you tried the Legendary Black Stallion? I wonder if Buco and its repro for that matter is not intended to be as V-shaped as Schott 613.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I would not take their word for it when they say "V shaped" or slim fitting...
I called before ordering the route 66, talked to them on the phone, was assured it was a very trim fitting jacket, the waist measurement and shoulders were spot on for me, as were back length and sleeve length.

When i received the jacket it fit great up front, but the back fit like a bag, huge and puffy, and the sleeves were more than 1" wider than any jacket i own, they were just a baggy mess.

I did a bit of looking around and found this thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...t-from-Aero-Leather-Trade-Week-By-Craig-Brown

Which pretty much shows you what i mean, most of those jackets look great seen from the front, but are super oversized in the back and sleeves...
I don't know if it is a historical thing, or just the way they do things, but it really doesn't work on me!

The Hollywood, Dustbowl, and Cropduster are the more obvious ones, but they all suffer from that to some extent!

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I think with a belt the thing would fit fine. BUT it is a tad short particularly if you're gonna ride.... I wish I had the body for that style. The closest thing I have is my "Thunder Bay" but I got that strictly for weather protection. It was cold and rainy yesterday so she got de-virginated but you've the perfect body for it. If you're unhappy though get it modded by Aero or you'll NEVER be happy.

Worf

Alright. Thank you all very much, people. Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment and help me out. This jacket isn't going to work for me. I wish it wasn't so damn beautiful. It is a perfectly made jacket with all the right details but when you can cover one side of the front with another for over 3 inches while wearing the jacket, you know it ain't made for you.

Carlos, supposedly they are using slightly modified historical patterns from what I hear and yeah, it's a sort of look that you do need to be going for in order to fully enjoy it but either way, I wouldn't mind neither the baggy back nor the baggy sleeves if my jacket looked as good as those on the page you've linked - and neither of those are suppose to be slim fit! I like baggy sleeves, though. It's a must for riders.

Worf, I have to fully fasten the belt to get it fit around the waist, but that causes the jacket to fold and bunch over at random parts... It's uncomfortable and looks ugly, like I've tied a bag 'round me... You're absolutely right though, I'll have to do something because I can't bring myself to wear the jacket even as it is. Man, I'm fed up with this fit crap. Of 10 premium jackets I've went through, only one was really good, except that I couldn't ride in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW