Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero late war and Air Arm Irvins

John Lever

One Too Many
I have persuaded fellow member Ken Calder of Aero to loan me two of the latest RAF Irvin jackets. A late war and a Fleet Air Arm jacket with the yellow hood. They arrived yesterday and I spent a couple of hours trying them on and taking some photos to share with you. My wife took the shots of me wearing the jackets so apologies for the small number of images as she finds the whole subject less than interesting.

My first impression was the light weight when compared to others I have owned. The skins are very soft and pliable making the jackets easy and comfortable to wear. Fleece colour is a warm honey/beige not at all dull or flat with a slight crimp or curl. I would estimate wool length to be about 3/4 inch or 18 mm. Ken told me that the colour of the acrylic is matched to areas of unfaded leather on originals.

In the past there was an issue with tubular arm shape, this is now resolved to produce a better taper to the cuff with a nice loose area in the upper arm. Arm length has been increased so that the cuff sits around the middle of the hand not on the wrists which would be too short. The body length is just below the waist so there should be no issues with keeping the lower back warm. Ken fitted Japanese Waldes zips, they work flawlessly and have a very positive location and start when inserting the two zip parts together. This brand is new to me but is as good as any other repro makes I am familiar with. As is correct the late war jacket does not have an elastic collar strap. The belt loops are also positioned correctly so that when unfastened the superb strap hangs properly.

The late war jacket is composed of several panels fitted together diagonally at the back and horizontally at the front. All the seams align perfectly and the tapes are a perfect colour match. The AA jacket has fewer panels with horizontal seam apart from those on the arms. I like the fairly small rounded collar on this jacket it is less ostentatious than some and subtly compliments the rest of the jacket.
Obviously the main difference between the two jackets is the hood on the AA jacket. I believe this was quite a tricky thing the make and to size correctly. Some prototypes were too big and looked wrong. The yellow was also difficult to get right so as not be to lemon or too bright. The hood is fairly tricky to fold into a type of collar and I had several attempts to get it to sit properly. In winter it would be very warm particularly if you suffer from cold ears.
This AA also had quite square shoulders when compared to the late war jacket. Ken thinks there may have been some stretching during manufacture but I am sure this will not be an issue as booth jackets are beautifully made.

So Aero have made quite a bold leap with this jacket spending time and resources in development. It will probably divide people on whether they like it or not, a bit like Marmite I suppose but how many companies take risks like this these days ?
Well done Aero !

wu5uv6.jpg

2rylj7n.jpg

2nhko4j.jpg

2vuhruf.jpg

25z43h5.jpg

x37n9h.jpg

f2o3lg.jpg

ivwdwm.jpg

zldm9u.jpg

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks so much for posting, John. And your wife got some great photos !
I think the jackets look great to me - very authentic. Well done to Aero and the R & D shows. Very nice indeed !

Edward

Bartender
Jhon, thanks for posting these - they look superb. Great to see Aero moving forward with these; I was told at the factory in July that they were working on the CC, but this is the first time I've seen it actually put together. Looks superb. I hope it does well for them; the CC has always been a gap in the repro market, and I know I can't be the only one keen on one.

Isn't it the case that the CC hood attaches in place of the collar for the jacket, construction otherwise being the same? Would be interesting to see different panel variations on the CC. I think all the surviving eamples I've seen are multi-panel or 42 spec; were there ever any made with the original, pre-war design?

wdw

One Too Many
Great pics and an interesting article. I have an Irvin incoming very soon, so this is close to me.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Very nice ... and much better pattern by the looks of them .... just need 70 years ageing on them and they'll be perfect :) ( if only there was a quick way to age these jackets and still deliver a result which remotely resembles the actual ageing process ).

Having had a few Irvins the age old "pocket problem" ( or lack of) is always a show stopper for me .... but great to see these entering the market. Not a big fan of the CC ( Big yellow hood .. and a hood on a leather/sheepskin jacket is just wrong ... that's what hats are for :D ... Just MHO I know many love them )
but it looks exceptionally done as always.

Well done Aero .....

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks friend, much appreciated, tell the ole lady thanks for us as well. CC with the yellow hood was for what particular reason?

Worf

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great post..good on you & Aero :) Never imagined anyone would be bold enough to produce a repro CC Irvin.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I tried on both jackets at John's home this evening.
My first impressions were that the patterns are now pretty accurate (particularly the sleeves) and these jackets are quite light in weight - making them very comfortable to wear. I've shed a little weight recently and was pleasantly surprised to carry off both in a size 42. I also tried on an older 1942 pattern Cockpit Irvin (a Southampton jacket from the 1980s/1990s) for comparison and this was markedly heavier and closer in weight to my old 1939 Links jacket (now sold).
The fleece of the Aero jackets is a really good depth (not too fluffy and avoiding that 'teddy bear' look) and the correct shade of honey. The hardware was impressive too, zips were a convincing copy, along with belts/loops/buckles.
Hailing from Southampton, where the Sunderland flying boats once flew, I have been always intrigued by the CC Irvin, but I wasn't sold on this one - I could never see myself wearing the hood up (just too conspicuous) and it's too bulky when folded, despite the pattern and colour looking a very good match for the real thing. However, if a CC Irvin is your bag then this one looks very good indeed - the only down side is the shoulder profile, which is asymmetrical as you can see from John's shot from the rear.
My personal preference was for the late war jacket - I do like multi-panel Irvins, and this configuration didn't resemble the 'Union Jack' panelling of Aero's early jacket - a lovely jacket and an easy wearer.
General workmanship was of a high order.
I couldn't resist buying John's Cockpit Irvin though - this one looks like a well preserved wartime jacket (it's based on a 1942 pattern Links) and the pattern/finish is simply the best that I've seen. With winter just around the corner too :)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with you Ian. Whilst the workmanship of these two jackets is top notch I would not wear a CC jacket out and about because of the yellow hood. You can still pick up wearable original CC jackets for a decent price these days as they are less popular than the conventional Irvin. Later War multi-panelled originals often come up for sale, but are almost always in smaller sizes so the Aero repro makes sense. Are you going to buy one of the jackets John or are you just the model?!!!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I like the CC Irvin, and I would wear it out and about, since the hood folds out on itself like a big collar.
Sink the Bismark!

John Lever

One Too Many
Yes just a temporary loan though who knows in the future ? The one I would like has the dark shaggy wool collar.
Again a big thanks to Ken and everyone at Aero for their hard work and generosity.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
All credit to Ken for really raising the bar and launching some really exciting styles recently. Both Irvins look excellent, I don't recall anyone has done a FAA/CC Irvin before and I have always fancied a repro of one of those. With wear the hood will fold nicely as do originals, and the yellow once dulled-down with wear will really look like originals. I too love the 'two-tone' one shown on their site, I have an original very similar that I have on display that was worn by a Lancaster pilot in 1944. Aero's relaunched Irvins are now some of the very best available, congratulations all at Aero and thank you John for the great pics and reviews.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely enviable jackets. I never thought I'd say this, but the California sun is overrated. Time to move to a colder climate. Really nice works of art those are.

Edward

Bartender
All credit to Ken for really raising the bar and launching some really exciting styles recently. Both Irvins look excellent, I don't recall anyone has done a FAA/CC Irvin before and I have always fancied a repro of one of those. With wear the hood will fold nicely as do originals, and the yellow once dulled-down with wear will really look like originals. I too love the 'two-tone' one shown on their site, I have an original very similar that I have on display that was worn by a Lancaster pilot in 1944. Aero's relaunched Irvins are now some of the very best available, congratulations all at Aero and thank you John for the great pics and reviews.

I'm only aware of Aero ever having done a cc repro. They did make the Cabourn...things.... not their design.... a few years ago, but those were not repros as such, deviating very significantly from the design. Not long before Ken came back there was a Flounger - was it you, John, or someone else? - ordered an Aero CC. That was the first repro I ever saw. The buyer wasn't happy with the sleeves (old pattern), and I believe it has changed hands a couple of times since. This will be the first production CC repro of which I am aware. Be nice to see them in the wild. I've long wanted one myself. Likely I'd wear the hood folded to a collar, but some of the weather I've been out in I think I'd soon get over any worries about the yellow!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I don't understand- with no drawcords, or anything else I can see to tighten the hood, wouldn't it just be continually billowing in the icy North Atlantic air, as you swanned around in your Swordfish or whatever?
And when you ditch, how warm is wet sheepskin around your head?

Edward

Bartender
Earlier tech, I presume. Sheepskin wouldn't work with a drawstring, and it was the standard jacket matetial for raf at the time... Better than nothing, of course, but it does seem likely to have been more use identifying their location than heat.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg
The RAF were way ahead of their time; modern commercial marine floatation jackets (even some gore-tex rain jackets for sailors) have a bright neon yellow hood for visibility if one goes into the drink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart