Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leather Board Racer sizing advice. Do you get a 44" when you are a 42"

brandnick

New in Town
Hey guys, considering a Board Racer and typically a 42 in most jackets. Found one, broken in yet it is a 44. Does anyone know for the average build male should size up or stay true to their size? I'm a 5"11' 195lb pretty broad-chested male and am thinking that it'll suit just fine. It appears the pit-to-pit jacket measurement is a little wider than my Vanson 42" jacket. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Yes, a Board Racer is usually one size up from e.g. the Kaff Racer or a 30´s Halfbelt.

It will still be pretty trim with very high arm-holes, so not the best choice for layering. It makes for a very nice silhouette though.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I'm 5"11' 178 lbs 43" chest.

I ordered this size 44 boardracer which was supposed to have a 22.5" ptp (perfect for how I like to wear a cr jacket). 22.5 turned out to be 23.75 which was too wide for me. Also, the bottom hem was way too wide.

So make sure to go by actual measurements. Aero's size tags are pretty much useless.

8C690BA9-39AA-4AAF-B851-0270DE38B29C.jpeg
0F2654D0-3715-4547-AEDE-D20B87AD83D5.jpeg
23A6158C-4CBD-4504-9E55-FBF5F8677E78.jpeg
FB115D6C-9EA2-4F0B-82C1-262D9D943097.jpeg
83769AAB-93FA-475D-AC8A-14C580297BBB.jpeg

brandnick

New in Town
Thanks @Marc mndt and @Tom71. Super helpful information. This is the jacket in question. Was about to buy one through Aero but going to save my $$$ and purchase this 2nd board racer and order my custom Daytona via the Aero site shortly.

Such a great brand. Pity the website is hand coded, built on Windows 98 computer! As you say, the tags are pretty broad at best.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
You gotta be kidding me!

Thats my old BR! Sold it back to Aero a few years back, then it went to one of TFL´s finest. I recognize it by the make-up and by the small "Kentaurus" patch (an Aero-seller in Cologne).

Very short cut, and I found it pretty tight at shoulders/P2P, but I absolutely loved it for years!

brandnick

New in Town
You gotta be kidding me!

Thats my old BR! Sold it back to Aero a few years back, then it went to one of TFL´s finest. I recognize it by the make-up and by the small "Kentaurus" patch (an Aero-seller in Cologne).

Very short cut, and I found it pretty tight at shoulders/P2P, but I absolutely loved it for years!

No way. That is a hilarious. Maybe I should get my own? It just ticks all the boxes for me. I can see myself wearing this most days on and off the bike. The measurements seem to stack up but as we all know, until it is on you just don't know. Nothing worse than a jacket that pinches at the shoulders.

Planning to sell some of my Vansons and start trading up to Aero. Or Lewis. Australian's don't really get into this scene. Probably too hot. When I lived in the UK though, it was awesome to see the accessibility of these brands.

Pandemic

One Too Many

I ordered this size 44 boardracer which was supposed to have a 22.5" ptp (perfect for how I like to wear a cr jacket). 22.5 turned out to be 23.75 which was too wide for me. Also, the bottom hem was way too wide.

So make sure to go by actual measurements. Aero's size tags are pretty much useless.

View attachment 381875 View attachment 381877 View attachment 381876 View attachment 381874 View attachment 381872

That look of disappointment with an otherwise lovely jacket’s fit :(

We’ve all been there.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 381875 View attachment 381877 View attachment 381876 View attachment 381874 View attachment 381872

Just curious, how does Aero deal with a return in this case?
The mistake in measurements is their fault, did they acknowledge that and paid for all shipping? Or did they just give you the old "if you don't like it send it back and pay for shipping both ways"?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Damm sexy IMO

Hi @brandnick. I am the current owner of the jacket, and happy to answer any questions you may have.

In general, this is a tight-fitting style, and most wearers do size up. I wear a 42 in most of Aero's styles. The Board Racer tends to have narrower shoulders than their style they call the Cafe Racer. Otherwise, they are both fairly close to each other. Being broad chested, this may be an issue for you.

I have a 43" (expanded) chest, and find that the jacket is close to the limit of what I can comfortably wear. I can wear the jacket comfortably unzipped, wearing a t-shirt. Zipped, I feel a bit constrained in raising my arms. It's fine, wearing a t-shirt, but this is not a jacket I can layer with.

It's one of my best looking Aeros, and @Tom71 did a fantastic job breaking it in.

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Planning to sell some of my Vansons and start trading up to Aero.
You might find that you are not really trading up when it comes to fit. It is true that Vanson does not offer all of the awesome options in leathers, linings, etc. when compared to Aero. But they do have some of the best patterns in the business and you may find yourself missing a jacket that fit well and was a pleasure to wear in exchange for one that just looks cool in pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB