Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leather Clothing trial update

GregO

One of the Regulars
Good to see the foregoing post prompted a thoughtful response - have to get the priorities right...right?

I just see no need in arguing with a fool, or in getting involved in petty interweb squabbles. In the end, everyone emerges looking like fools. I just want a jacket...preferably with some sort of indication on it or in it that it was used in criminal proceedings against WL.

I'll go back to patiently refreshing the Aero sale page...

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have mixed feeling about the proposed sale now, I never like profiting from someone else's misfortune and Dennys post a while back really put it in perspective on how hard this hit the Calders emotionally, not just financially.

Getting excited about the sale isn't sitting right with me now, but thats just me.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I agree. I actually hope circumstances do not force them to sell at dumping prices, but only with a reasonably small drop below regular pricing. After all, it's unworn jackets.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have mixed feeling about the proposed sale now, I never like profiting from someone else's misfortune and Dennys post a while back really put it in perspective on how hard this hit the Calders emotionally, not just financially.

Getting excited about the sale isn't sitting right with me now, but thats just me.

Same here. His comments seemed to put a lot of things in perspective. I have a great deal of respect for the whole family and the manner in which they've handled this entire horrible affair.

Edward

Bartender
What we're seeing here is a side to criminal proceedings that most of us will never encounter directly. I've been hit by relatively little crime in my life, and when it has happened, only very low-level stuff. The big things, though - friends of a friend, whose sister was murdered, theft on this scale, that sort of thing - most of us think of TV detective procedurals and police dramas where it's all over in, at most, twelve weeks or so. Here, though, we've all seen the brutal reality: even a relatively straightforward case can rag on for years if it goes to trial. Had the case against Lauder not been so watertight, he could have tried to appeal, dragging it out by years further. And even with the conclusion of proceedings, the impact on Aero and the Calders is still being felt. As good an argument as you'll see for stiff legal penalties.

Actually, Horween is a bit of a question mark in this. At the time, they sold to AL at the time on the basis of their relationship with Will, but heavily predicated on the outcome of the trial. What they must think of everything that's happened in the past month? If I was Skip Horween, the fact that the whole storse thing was crystalised during the trial - WL and Johnny Minto both copping to it, even if they lied about their reasons and the length of time they were at it - would have had my eye brows climbing over the back of my head. Throw in the fact that AL are flogging Horween jackets at bargain basement prices - which raises questions about the relative cost of the leather (though I'm assuming they're selling at either cost or a loss) and you've got a heady brew there.

I've long thought that Horween would live to rue the day that they downplayed the Aero-Horween joint statement and started selling hides (with the exception of their famous CXL FQHH.... perhaps it's the easiest one to mistake for steer?) to AL. I wonder if they'll dea with Simmonds Bilt in future. I imagine the whole debacle has hit them too. Back when I joined the Lounge, around 07, it was all about the FQHH round here, but part of Ken's reinvention and saving of Aero has involved a promotion of other hides. Where once - the odd A2 or USN jacket aside - all new Aeros we'd see on here would be FQHH, now there's a much greater variation. I'm sure not all of those new hides are coming in from Horween. I suppose that's just market variation. Must have thrown AL for a loop.... they obviously spent ages working up to being able to announced they were using Horween hides (perhaps they even thought this would dissipate any lingering issues the market had with them, that this would be seen as Horween acknowledging they were A-OK.... certainly over on Style Forum there were those who interpreted it this way).... only to discover that the market had moved on, and they weren't the be all and end all that once they had been.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Edward, Aero's been offering some really interesting hides recently. I only buy military repros, so I haven't tried any of them, but they look like they'd be fantastic on civilian vintage style jackets. Smart move.

As for the sale, there's going to be nothing in my size, so I'm not that interested.

But lets keep in mind that most of them are unworn (right?), good quality, popular sizes, available with no wait, so I imagine that whilst being a bargain, Aero should be able to recoup a big chunk of losses. If there's something there that you fancy, in your size, why shouldn't you buy it and help Aero out a little? I appreciate that knowing that WL stole the jackets could make you feel something, but let's not forget that these are Ken's jackets, he got them back, he's looked them over and checked them out, and are going on sale with his seal of approval. That should give you plenty of peace of mind.

Me? I'll have to wait until I can order one in a size 50 (+one inch on sleeve and body length) (>_<)

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Would they be covered by any sort of insurance on these losses? Was there any financial penalty or compensation ordered?

Edward

Bartender
I'm not sure that you can insure against employee theft?

Sloan will know better than me the exact procedure in the Scottish jurisdiction, but most of the known theft was in the stock, which was recovered. Re the ebayed goods, I think they'd need a civil action for recovery of value, which wouldn't be worth it if the defence can't afford it.

Last edited:

AdeeC

Practically Family
I'm not sure that you can insure against employee theft?

Sloan will know better than me the exact procedure in the Scottish jurisdiction, but most of the known theft was in the stock, which was recovered. Re the ebayed goods, I think they'd need a civil action for recovery of value, which wouldn't be worth it if the defence can't afford it.
In UK civil court cases are costs awarded to the loser of the case?

Edward

Bartender
It's normal (unless for whatever reason- usually that the judge thinks you have a technically sound case but aren't a deserving winner - the bench decides to order otherwise) for the loser to be ordered to pay their own costs, plus those of the claimant. In many cases this will amount to far more than any damages awarded.

Edward

Bartender
You're right - there are a lot of cases that would have merit which otherwise simply don't get taken because the target would be paying back the claimant at 50p a week for the rest of forever. (Don't even get me started on the likes of Hacked Off bleating about setting up a Mickey Mouse arbitration scheme instead of trying to do something to push for change so that the little people can afford a real court...).

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Did you guys realize that Aero introduced at least 40 (sic!) new jacket models since Ken came back from retirement?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I was surprised at that number too, but if you count all the new models, 27, the premier versions, 3, women's jackets, 3, children's jackets, 5 and the new Irvin patterns, 2, it adds up to 40.

Last edited:

eggleman

One of the Regulars
I was surprised at that number too, but if you count all the new models, 27, the premier versions, 3, women's jackets, 3, children's jackets, 5 and the new Irvin patterns, 2, it adds up to 40.

Maybe they hired AL/SB s mysterious pattern maker ?
;)

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Whoever's doing their current batch, the Work Coat and botched Cafe Racers, will have to get their finger out. Come on, chop-chop, we want to see a full spread of Dust Bowls, Sunbursts and Crop Dusters before August is out!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Whoever's doing their current batch, the Work Coat and botched Cafe Racers, will have to get their finger out. Come on, chop-chop, we want to see a full spread of Dust Bowls, Sunbursts and Crop Dusters before August is out!

I want to see 'a modern interpretation' of all of those! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points