Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leather new natural veg tanned Vicenza horsehide

BobJ

Practically Family
If it ends up looking like this RRL jacket (h/t Vintage Engineer Boots) then it'll be cool.

%25255BUNSET%25255D.png

And here's a well broken in Campus jacket from Christophe Loiron's blog.

tumblr_n1gw30exzn1rrhkt8o1_1280.jpg

I'm of the school that believe leather jackets look better when heavily abused. Natural hides do darken, age well, and get a serious amount of patina, but it's become a bit of a cliché in the raw denim crowd.

I'm sorry - I like age and character and patina on a jacket, but this Campus jacket just looks like a dirty basketball to me. Where would you wear it? In my mind it conjures up visions of drinking cheap wine under a bridge.

And that RRL - it looks like parchment, like it should have the Declaration of Independence or a pirate treasure map written on the back. Again, in my narrow, fussy mind, it conjures up visions of a movie character who's been on the move and living in it for six months.

But, like Edward always says, It's horses for courses.

Man, you being from Oregon, those would fit right in! Of course it's personal, but I see younger dudes wearing stuff like that everywhere in LA. Pair with some nice denims, boots and shirts and it's a winner. In my book at least...

BobJ

Practically Family
Yeah, I guess I am out of touch with what's going on in the big cities. Around here I do see many grubby jackets, but they're usually Carhartts, and worn by loggers.

I'm with you Bobj. The 'natural' leather doesn't appeal {to me} simply because it often has a tendency to develop that soiled type of patina where a more finished jacket of color most usually does not, but better hides that effect.
Desirable patina {for me} is a finish that has come to exhibit burnished, polished and softly blended faded wear areas rather than spotty stain, dirty grain or heavily raw scuffing.
Of course others will have different ideas of what patina should offer and is favorable to them.
HD

konadog

Practically Family
this leather as a choice really depends on what else you wear. i lean towards tan shoes and boots and lighter tones in general. my natural MF Campus is quite possibly my favorite article of clothing I own, and i have some terrific pieces in my closet. if you're conservative or second guessing on this color you should definitely pass. if you have guts and welcome compliments from strangers then go for it.

thor

One Too Many
image.jpeg
Anyone who loves baseball and still fondly remembers his favorite glove from when he was a kid would probably find the burnished, banged up natural leather of the jacket quite appealing. Maybe not as an everyday wearer but it could fill a special niche in one's wardrobe.

heron163

One of the Regulars
I like it but with the use I would put it though, it would show a lot of dirt in a short time. Patina is one thing but looking grimy is not a good look...

I really wish aero would introduce a dark navy blue leather...;)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I like it but with the use I would put it though, it would show a lot of dirt in a short time. Patina is one thing but looking grimy is not a good look...

I really wish aero would introduce a dark navy blue leather...;)

Wasn't there mention of a blue Vicenza recently?

View attachment 49354 Anyone who loves baseball and still fondly remembers his favorite glove from when he was a kid would probably find the burnished, banged up natural leather of the jacket quite appealing. Maybe not as an everyday wearer but it could fill a special niche in one's wardrobe.
That's totally it Thor...I had a hercules horsehide jacket that had all but lost it's entire topcoat and the feel and color that were left reminded me of just that. My old, beat up long gone baseball glove.

Edward

Bartender
A sprayed on blue finish would be interesting. The dye would rub off to give a tea-core effect...

I actually rather like the idea of a 'midnight blue core' black leather... Kind of like the blue-black goat that Aero used in jackets they made for Levis way back when, but much, much slower to wear off to the blue layer.

I tend to agree with those who like how the natural leather ages, but don't care so much for the 'dirt' side of things. The asnwer seems to be a leather which is undyed, but still properly finished - sounds like that's what Horween have done with their CXL FQHH mentioned above? As I really like the idea of a natural colour as a Summer jacket, I'd love to see this done with a lighter hide, like a roo or a nice, thick goat....

bretron

Call Me a Cab
As I really like the idea of a natural colour as a Summer jacket, I'd love to see this done with a lighter hide, like a roo or a nice, thick goat....

Get a Campus (if you can get the fit nailed) and add a wax finish to the hide. Im tellin ya, the sizing is the only hang up with this jacket. I would have been more than willing to figure the watermark issue out had the length been an extra inch or two. It makes for a perfect warm weather leather jacket IMO (EDIT: ...which is exactly why I want one of the Aero Marines in this natural Vincenca :) )

Last edited:

Insomnia

One of the Regulars

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Having now had my hands on the natural veg-tanned hide, I could see it's got a robust top-coat on it which will make pretty wipable and water resistant. I would happily take one of these on without worrying about the grime or staining issue. It's genuinely nice stuff.
Can't beat first hand experience. Craig, gotta be great being you in such close proximity to Galashiels. I suspect you will move mountains, if necessary, to be there in August for Aero's big upcoming sale. That would be something to see even if one didn't buy anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko