Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Modified Sunburst

dan_t

Practically Family
Well, the latest acquisition has arrived!!

I thought you may like a little break from the trial narrative, so here we go...

I spied this beauty on the sale pages of Aero's website. The measurements seemed to be practically perfect, so I thought I'd give it a go.

This jacket is a modified Sunburst pattern (1920's / 30' cut), with a full action back, lined in Olive cotton drill & has nickel Talon hardware.
The hide is a seal Goatskin with contrast Olive stitching. It is incredibly soft right from the moment I opened the box. Quite a difference to the Sheene that I recently received.

I really like how the high, rounded yoke compliments the action back and half belt below. I think it is a really nicely 'balanced' feature on this jacket.
Man, am I loving this one right from the word 'go'!

Made by Julie, there is not a stitch out of place & there is a really nice detail that I have not seen before around the bottom of the zipper where it is riveted in place.

I have to say just for the record, that every single person I have had dealings with at Aero with my two most recent purchases have been extremely professional, courteous & simply a pleasure to do business with. This is not a post spruiking a business, as they do not need that, rather an acknowledgement that the lost art of good customer service is alive and well & I for one find this a refreshing change.

Here's some pics for you all, hope you enjoy (I REALLY hate taking these kinds of shots BTW).....

Aero%20Modified%20Sunburst%201%20of%2029-1_zpsncil4vzu.jpg

Aero%20Modified%20Sunburst%2016%20of%2029-2_zpsy2e5ufb2.jpg

Aero%20Modified%20Sunburst%2018%20of%2029-3_zpsumlpabm8.jpg

Aero%20Modified%20Sunburst%2019%20of%2029-4_zpsvlujrt6h.jpg

Aero%20Modified%20Sunburst%2027%20of%2029-7_zpscxcpybvo.jpg

Aero%20Modified%20Sunburst%2028%20of%2029-8_zps1vbgfp5n.jpg

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
I was just thinking that we needed a good jacket thread to give us all a nice break. My board racer is the same exact combo of seal goat, OD thread and lining, so of course I'm a fan of that combo. The color on the Seal goat is just so rich looking, and the fit is spot on. The lighter buttons are a nice detail. With the supple goat and the action back, I can imagine that it's a very comfortable jacket right from the get-go.

Congratulations on another great purchase.

Edit: Totally agree that the rounded yoke is the best detail on the jacket, very unique.

Last edited:
Outstanding jacket and perfect fit dan_t..!!
However are you sure that it is really a version of the Sunburst..?? If so the Sunburst has been modified right out of it. I do rather like the way the back is made, though.
Congrats
HD

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congrats Dan, that's a beauty.
Looks just like a "surrogates" jacket / California Sportswear repo to me.

I'm on the Goodwear waiting list for one just like it.

How does the goat compare to your older goat half belt?

pawineguy

One Too Many
Zooming in on that cuff - really gorgeous combination of stitching and button. You may hate taking fit pics but you do it as well or better than anyone on here.

dan_t

Practically Family
MASSIVELY different ProtienNerd.
You may recall my other jacket initially felt a little 'cardboard' like & was quite stiff.
This one flops around & is extemy soft right out of the box. Keep in mind that this is new, not a used trade in either.
Very, very comfortable.

pawineguy

One Too Many
MASSIVELY different ProtienNerd.
You may recall my other jacket initially felt a little 'cardboard' like & was quite stiff.
This one flops around & is extemy soft right out of the box. Keep in mind that this is new, not a used trade in either.
Very, very comfortable.

Exactly my experience with the older goat vs this new goat. (well, obviously it should be the same experience) I can't imagine a leather jacket, that is still fairly substantial, could be any more comfortable than this goat.

dan_t

Practically Family
Thank you everyone for the kind comments.

HD, I agree. The only similarities that I can readily identify are the horizontal chest pocket & the hand warmers - although the angle has been changed from the standard pattern. Either way, the card clearly states that it was at least cut from the Sunburst pattern & then modded heavily.

Here's a few more pics of the details (iPhone snaps);

IMG_2019-1_zpsf4u761mu.jpg

IMG_2020-2_zpsyklg6bce.jpg

IMG_2021-3_zpsorpfrtbo.jpg

IMG_2023-5_zpsy80vuwge.jpg

IMG_2022-4_zpswfhyhs1v.jpg

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Stunning mate. Very classy, just in time for the cooler weather....it looks like a great fit too. Great pick up.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dan, you're one sexy beast! lol Mate your pics are gold, thanks especially for showing the little details like the great buttons and art deco Talon zip. If I had that jacket my missus would be complaining about me sleeping in it!

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Dan, you're one sexy beast! lol Mate your pics are gold, thanks especially for showing the little details like the great buttons and art deco Talon zip. If I had that jacket my missus would be complaining about me sleeping in it!

Benny I don't know what size you are, but there is a superb aero goat halfbelt on ebay in Oz for about $650AUD, looks new, seal goat, awesome. I think it's a 42 or 44...

Edward

Bartender
Cracking looking jacket. A Scottish Sunburst? ;)

Does that back match any of the other Aero patterns? Often jacket on the sales page can be tests for new patterns. If none of the existing Halfbelt models have a back like that, they could have been trying it out for a new design/ Looks great in its own right.

It's funny how the terminology varies.... last year, I went to the factor looking for a Speedster, but with the three panel back of the Dustbowl. I thought of it as a modified Speedster (I suppose because that's the model that I started with for the original idea), but Aero regard it as a "plain front + breast pocket" Dustbowl.

The goathide Aero have been using this last eighteen months or so is lovely stuff. Had I not been seduced by the Bison, my modified Dustbowl would have been in the black goat. I hope next year to be in a position to order up a standard Sunburst in the russet goat. Look forwrd to seeing how yours ages.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Cracking looking jacket. A Scottish Sunburst? ;)

Does that back match any of the other Aero patterns? Often jacket on the sales page can be tests for new patterns. If none of the existing Halfbelt models have a back like that, they could have been trying it out for a new design/ Looks great in its own right.

It's funny how the terminology varies.... last year, I went to the factor looking for a Speedster, but with the three panel back of the Dustbowl. I thought of it as a modified Speedster (I suppose because that's the model that I started with for the original idea), but Aero regard it as a "plain front + breast pocket" Dustbowl.

The goathide Aero have been using this last eighteen months or so is lovely stuff. Had I not been seduced by the Bison, my modified Dustbowl would have been in the black goat. I hope next year to be in a position to order up a standard Sunburst in the russet goat. Look forwrd to seeing how yours ages.

How do you like the bison Edward? It looks very interesting. Where does bison sit on the weight/ strength spectrum? What are the special characteristics of bison? I've seen some jackets getting made of CXL bison by Horween, I'm very curious....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko