Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Original and Repro Aero Scotland

HAMMER

New in Town
Wanted to post this interesting comparison between an Aero original in seal brown and the Aero Scotland repro in russet. Have more detailed photos too. I'm sorta new to posting, so I'll see if this works then post a few more detailed photos if folks are interested.

Chuck

dsc01854ts2.jpg

HAMMER

New in Town
Repro Collar

Overall on the repro vs. the original, the repro has thicker horsehide, but lacks the original style zipper stop, the 'C' shaped thing on top of the zipper, and of course the 'made in usa' on the back of the Talon zipper. Also I think the Aero repro's pockets are too big. I'll post a few more of those types of details. Also, from what I've seen of the Aero originals, the one I own, and photos, is the sewing is a little erratic sometimes, were no doubt made in a hurry around 1941.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

HAMMER

New in Town
Zipper Stop Repro

Wanted to mention also that the squadron patch on the original, of course isn't original, made and sewn by me a few days ago, based on the shape of the old thread tracks, a unique oval that so far I've only found matches the Sunsetters based in Australia. If anyone knows other oval patches let me know.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
On Aero's website regarding that particular model of A-2, they said they had 14 originals to base their repro on. Although they don't claim to reproduce it 100%. As to the pocket size, I've wondered if part of that is due to the age and wrinkle and shrinkage factor of the old ones making them a bit smaller compared to the new ones that haven't had the use and wear of time.

Nice jackets, thanks for sharing them. I have a Real Deal on order and hope to get it by the end of the month.

fedoralover

HAMMER

New in Town
Age Changes to Jacket

Good observation as the jackets do change with age, and the leather seems to get thinner, but will come back with conditioning. Also I personally believe that Aero (modern) Lost Worlds, Eastman; all make 'super' jackets which are better than the originals in every way, but is that good? Maybe. In 1941 the jackets seem to have had a more hand-made look, sometimes sloppy, with the pockets not matching even each other on the same jacket. To me it adds character and charm because the originals tell a story, of haste, urgency, rapid mobilization and war-time production. The Aero Real Deal I believe goes in that direction. As far as directly comparing a modern repro to a beat up old original, I think the Avirex's do pretty well, although that is probably a sacrilegious opinion. Avirex main faults of course is they aren't contract-specific, lack the proper box stitching on the hangar etc. but the look and feel of the leather seems very good, that is, cheaper/thinner than the super Aero's. Really, all of these jackets are very good in their own ways, at least all who try, with the cotton lining, real epaulets etc.

BTW I think Aero Scotland, along with all others, don't really get the lining quite right. The oringinal has a much thicker rougher feel, and sharper mustard color.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Hammer, I posted some old and new pics a while back, hope you don't mind me reposting them with your pics, they seem to go together for some comparison shots. You can see the unmatched hide on the old Aero is a lot like the new one. Also they show a good comparison between the pockets, you can see how wrinkled up the old ones are compared to the new ones. The new Aero is the one I ordered, a Real Deal in russet horse hide with beacon rust knits just like the old one in this pic.

VntgRussetAero.jpg

Here's the new one.

A2rust.jpg

fedoralover

HAMMER

New in Town
Beautiful Jackets

Great shots, thanks, they do go well with this thread. Wouldn't mind seeing some detail shots of that original with the zipper stop, close up of collar, etc.

Chuck

JRaptor

Familiar Face
Aero vs. AERO!

First of all Avirex shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same thread as ELC, RMNz, or Aero! An Avirex is not an authentic repro rather than just an over priced copy of an A-2.

As far as Aero’s go I think the ELC 18775-P (and I probably will get flamed for saying it, but it’s true) is a better repro of an original Aero, plus I don’t believe that Aero uses NOS zips unless they happen to have them in stock and you request one at the time you order your jacket, for an extra cost of course! The thing a lot of people like about Aero is the thick grainy hides they use, and I think the linings are extremely close to originals, at least in ELC and RMNz jackets anyways!

Now I am not bashing Aero by any means as I believe that they make fine jackets, I almost ordered an Aero 15142 "Real Deal" in Russet Jerky HH a little while back, but couldn’t bring myself to do it as I am a stickler for the finest details!

greyhound68

A-List Customer
I posted these before but the Buzz 21996 model (which is the aero 21996 model) is a very nice jacket and comes with a crown zipper.
neckaero.jpg

frontshotaero.jpg

pocketaero.jpg

Of course with that comes a hefty price tag also. The jacket is breaking in nicely. I have to get some recent shots of it to show how this "bronco hide" which is what Buzz calls it breaks in.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
JRaptor said:
As far as Aero’s go I think the ELC 18775-P (and I probably will get flamed for saying it, but it’s true) is a better repro of an original Aero, plus I don’t believe that Aero uses NOS zips unless they happen to have them in stock and you request one at the time you order your jacket, for an extra cost of course! The thing a lot of people like about Aero is the thick grainy hides they use, and I think the linings are extremely close to originals, at least in ELC and RMNz jackets anyways!

Now I am not bashing Aero by any means as I believe that they make fine jackets, I almost ordered an Aero 15142 "Real Deal" in Russet Jerky HH a little while back, but couldn’t bring myself to do it as I am a stickler for the finest details!

Flamed?? Not at all, I'm not experienced enough in owning A-2s to even light a match let alone start a flame. It would be great though if you could post a pic of that eastman so we could see some comparision pics. Also you are right about the zips, Mark told me they were indeed repro's. As long as they aren't wimpy and hold up I can live with it.

I think our shared experiences in owning different ones make us all better informed buyers. We may not all agree but that's okay, this isn't a contest to me, it's about helping each other decide what choice is right for us individually. I appreciate your input.

regards fedoralover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran