Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Pre-War Irvin - Revisited

wdw

One Too Many
About two months ago I got a size 40, but the neatness of the fit kept niggling at me and it just didn't feel "right", so I traded it back in and went up a size. I also added 0.5" to the standard 42" back (now 26" instead of 25" on the 40") and sleeve lengths, and am now so much happier with the fit. Now it feels right.:) This time I can zip it up over a thick sweater with no problem, whereas I looked like a sausage before.

This is maybe the 3rd or 4th time I've got it wrong, but I always know that if it doesn't feel right, it never will and you might as well bite the bullet and get rid of it, even if you lose money.

A change to the previous version is the darker hide and contrasting trim. Denny had said about the darker hide and showed me a sample, but the contrasting trim was a surprise. It's growing on me, though.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That Irvin looks great on you. Regarding my past sizing issues: "Too soon old; too late smart." :D

wdw

One Too Many
Thanks guys. I must admit I really like this now, more so even than the 1920s Work Coat I also got yesterday.

Dav, I'd advise you to be absolutely sure of the actual chest size and lengths you want. The standard size seems to be label plus 4 inches, so my 40 was only a 44 true chest, which was neater than I expected or wanted, although I didn't realise that until too late. I think with Irvins, a bit big is better than a bit small.

wdw

One Too Many
Otter, I deliberately went long on the sleeves as i like the crumpled look and I know they'll shorten a bit too. When I stretch my arms in front of me, they hit the first knuckle of my thumb.

Because I was so unsure of my original size, I must have looked at almost every Irvin photo on this board, and most fits are definitely on the baggy side with long sleeves, although back lengths vary widely.

I'm not so anal that I went big enough to wear a jacket underneath, which I think looks a step too far in the real world, but fitting a bulky jumper, like the one I'm wearing here was what I was after.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Nice ... I like the contrast facings ... my D-1 was seal with light russet facings and it's a great contrast.

I always like my jackets a little looser than the std. TFL / Insurrection fit ... looks great WDW ... enjoy.

repo

Familiar Face
It looks great. I've got to get an Irvin but unsure about the sizing - suppose I should just send my measurements and see what they suggest. How long did you have to wait?

wdw

One Too Many
Thanks again guys. Repo, I think the standard wait is about 6 weeks now, which is pretty good. I got this one quicker as it was a rebuild and I think they wanted to ship it with my other order.

I may be wrong, but they may only have one person, Bertie, making the sheepskins as it seems to be a different skillset, so she'll be flat out at the moment.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I like the russet tapes, they're a nice detail. The sleeves will definitely shorten (mine have) to give you a decent pair of mittens.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I've got to say that you guys look great in your Irvins. My ELC still looks big and bulky on me.

Even though I'm sure it will break in just fine, I'm surprised at how good your jackets look brand new!

Congrats!

alsendk

A-List Customer
great looking Irvin, in the right size, could not be shorter,or narrower in body, and arm lengh spot on. Congrats! will keep you warm in the highland this coming winter

Last edited:

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
I may be wrong, but they may only have one person, Bertie, making the sheepskins as it seems to be a different skillset, so she'll be flat out at the moment.

Actually, Tony also works full time on the sheepskins, and had been doing a brilliant job on them :)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Congratulations on a great Irvin jacket. Color looks good, fleece looks fantastic (and much better than the older ones from Aero) and I do like you're still having that no-use elastic band on the collar. Let me know, when you take it off. I did it a long time ago. ;)

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
It looks super great. I also got mine slightly "big" with about same length in arms as you and I will never regret it. Blowing up cold wind in the wrists defeats the whole purpose and I am actually looking forward to the minus 25.

wdw

One Too Many
Thanks guys. Spitfire and Griff, I followed both your Irvin sagas with interest, poring over the pics.

Especially yours Griff, as we're the same size and had the same problem. I'm wearing it at a bus stop now in 5° or so, and loving it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21