Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Shackleton Explored

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
I need to move north, way north..... since your an aero guy, and I am too when they fit right, how do you rate the new "battered hide" related to the fqhh on the other jackets you have. I have the mid weight jerky hh, a full weight fqhh, a ""shaved fqhh, which has the feel and touch of a lighter weight chrome excel in a a-2 which is my personal favorite, as well as a heavy russet goat a-2 from Aero. I'm looking for something lighter, with the character of the chrome excel fqhh, which I have in the shaved fqhh, but they don't make it any more. How's the hand of the battered horse? sounds like it might be the ticket.

wdw

One Too Many
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Swoosed, I'm no leather expert, but have FQHH, vintage FQHH and now this battered hide. My first thoughts were that it seemed the same weight, but that the hide was just less glossy than normal FQHH. However, having compared the pocket flap to my Stockman, the battered seems about two-thirds of the thickness, although it doesn't seem that way just to touch elsewhere.

One thing about the colour, it's brown but seems to have irregular black elements to it, like it's been wrinkled then rubbed over with black and straightened out again. This gives it more depth and makes it look more worn from the off. I don't know if the black will eventually rub off or even get more accentuated.

Hopefully Aero might answer the weight query.

wdw

One Too Many
Thanks Dav. I'm pretty sure you were the inspiration for the chunkie from one of your earlier posts. It's fantastic value for money.

eggleman

One of the Regulars
Just when I thought that I didn't need to buy another Aero ....
looks like a really versatile addition to one's wardrobe...

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
Looks very, very nice, even a lot better than on the pics shown on Aero's site. Congratulations!

I ordered mine yesterday, tumbled horse but there's a 3 month waiting period. Had been hesitant in the beginning as the place where I'll be wearing it most is both windy and wet but in the end it just looked so nice that I couldn't resist. If I may ask, what are your measures (height and suit size)? I'm 182 cm (5 ft 11 ") , UK size 38 suit, 69 kg (about 150 lbs or 10.86 stone).

Ken at Aero advised a size 40 vest if I was going to wear it the way you do, with a sweater underneath.

wdw

One Too Many
Thanks guys. Xenophon, I'm similar to you. 5'11" and a 39 chest, usually taking a 40. My Shackleton is a 40. It's definitely a pretty tight fit, but it's meant to be. The actual waistcoat measures 20" pit to pit, so a world away from normal Aero sizing.

I like it a lot and think it allows a lot of variety in how you can wear it, particularly in warmer weather.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
Great! That's exactly the info I needed and now I can rest assured that the sizing will be ok. Let the countdown begin, with a bit of luck i'll be able to wear it end of october wen I briefly visit Europe and as a main outer layer over a sweater during the winter in New Delhi (gets awful chilly here).

Edward

Bartender
How are the pockets on these? Recently been looking at leather 'utility vests', but can't find one that has quite the vintage vibe I'm after.

How would the pockets on the Shackleton cope with, say, a passport or a spectacle case?

Also, is there any leather facing on the inner side that would support an inside pocket?

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
How are the pockets on these? Recently been looking at leather 'utility vests', but can't find one that has quite the vintage vibe I'm after.

How would the pockets on the Shackleton cope with, say, a passport or a spectacle case?

Also, is there any leather facing on the inner side that would support an inside pocket?

I can put my iPhone 7 in it without a problem I have to check if there is leather facing inside the pockets but I don't think there is any.

I have to send mine to Aero so they can size it down, it's too big now.

Edward

Bartender
I can put my iPhone 7 in it without a problem I have to check if there is leather facing inside the pockets but I don't think there is any.

I have to send mine to Aero so they can size it down, it's too big now.

Thanks. Is that the top pockets? Re the inside, I meant facing on the back of where the buttons/ buttonholes are like, for a g1 type inner pocket.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Just had a look and the top half of the four outside pockets are half leather faced at the back on mine, with the rest of the pockets being moleskin lined. The front facings at the button backs have about three inches of leather before the lining starts (There are no inside pockets).

I have the opposite problem though - I should've ordered a size larger than I was advised by them as its always been a bit too trim a fit for my taste. If I were ordering again I would also ask them to crop two inches from the length (mine seems to fit longer than the one pictured here though it was standard legnth) as whilst this might be more period correct I've always felt it a little too long for my tastes.

Edward

Bartender
Length is a good thought. I'm basically looking at the idea of a more vintage-correct equivalent of the tactical leather vest Chris wore in Jurassic World, more waistcoat length. I did consider the notion of A2 pockets on the bottom (that's the kind of size I want) but I think it might look.... Off.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Just had a look and the top half of the four outside pockets are half leather faced at the back on mine, with the rest of the pockets being moleskin lined. The front facings at the button backs have about three inches of leather before the lining starts (There are no inside pockets).

I have the opposite problem though - I should've ordered a size larger than I was advised by them as its always been a bit too trim a fit for my taste. If I were ordering again I would also ask them to crop two inches from the length (mine seems to fit longer than the one pictured here though it was standard legnth) as whilst this might be more period correct I've always felt it a little too long for my tastes.

I see, everything has been answered, good! [emoji6]

Here some photos to illustrate the pockets usefulness.

An iPhone 6s with a case
38dbb02388cf31cc7f68d936fa9d7a49.jpg

iPhone inside the top pocket
6d035bf44d60a5327a6ab62aeb677c35.jpg

iPhone inside the bottom pocket
f0b6726b7776501ee5d2d7ab52c1e9dd.jpg

The lining
ccfda10d885c86318e2b557d10faa2b8.jpg

I hope this will be helpful.

I think the best leather is the battered steerhide. The vest need to drape to the body and the Vicenza is too stiff to achieve the look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner