Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Shackleton Explored

wdw

One Too Many
My Shackleton finally turned up, so I thought I'd get the first fit pics up there. It's battered brown, size 40, no mods:

The pockets are big enough for a credit card holder, which is what I use anyway. Having seen Ken's original, I'm sure it will age very quickly.

Last edited:

Tadite

Familiar Face
Looks good! It's rocking with the guernsey. It's way cool.

How do you find the leather? The colors great but I'm wondering about weight and resiliency? Is it easily marked like a CXL?

wdw

One Too Many
Thanks guys. Tadlite, it feels like FQHH, but I gather it's a bit lighter and easier to work with. I hope it does easily mark, and I think it will, as I like the worn look. The sweater is Sou' West Chunkies.

Edward

Bartender
Any shots of it closed, over just the shirt? I'm on the fence on this one. On the one hand I really like it, but on the other I'm not sure I could live with the high neckine. Just enough of a v to show a tie - or more likely a neckerchief - would be ideal for me.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Eric that is one killer vest. :thumb: The nice thing too is that since you live only 1-2 klicks south of the artic circle, you can wear it year round. :D

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Fantastic! looks completely different with the shirt and the jumper I didn't realise this would be so versatile when I first saw on the website.

D

schitzo

Suspended
I don't think it's for me and my wardrobe but damn it looks good on you WDW

Any danger of some close ups? As I recall this is one of the most characterful aero hides

wdw

One Too Many
Here's a couple of close-ups:

I think with a shirt it looks better unbuttoned, but I wore the shirt combo out tonight and it was cold enough on the way home for me not to care what it looked like buttoned all the way up. I like the sweater look a lot, and do think it suits that better buttoned or unbuttoned.

I toyed with the idea of a leather jerkin, and had a good look at a WW2 one in a vintage shop, but felt that unless I was carrying a Bren gun or a sack of coal it just looked too drab. I think the Shackleton is a lot more versatile, but it's definitely not for showing off your hairy chest or a tie.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
WDW, Very nice!, what are your thoughts on the rear. being cloth,is it substantial enough for the long haul? would it be better, made completely from leather? A very solid look with the sweater/Jumper

wdw

One Too Many
Boyo, the rear will definitely go first if you keep rubbing up against stuff, but then it would be easily replaceable, even in a different pattern. I tried on the original with the leather back, but Ken felt that the cloth back worked better.

I actually thought the leather back was fine and would have been happy enough with that, but the cloth will make it more usable in the summer.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Eric, I believe I prefer the vest worn with a shirt better than with the wool pullover, either a lightweight cotton or heavy flannel cotton or wool shirt depending on weather conditions.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think an all-leather pre-prod Shackleton appeared on the sale page a couple of months back. If I recall, Ken said that it was just too heavy for the overall look of the piece. One of the tricky things was not making something that just looked like a coat with the arms missing :D Having said that, it took him and Greig only an hour and a half on a Sunday morning to come up with the first version.

wdw

One Too Many
Looking at the photos again, I suppose the USP of a vest/waistcoat is the sheer versatility of the looks you can come up with - open/closed; shirt/jumper; patterned or plain shirt or jumper; summer/winter etc.

I had never worn a waistcoat until I idly tried on the leather back version that was made for the trade show, but liked the look and thought the price reasonable enough to be worth a punt.

Funnily enough, shortly after that someone kindly gave me a Filson waistcoat and I really got into the look and general versatility of the garment.

Edward

Bartender
It works well enough over a sweater, although this does look a little more snug than I'd wear it, especially when buttoned up to the collar.
I don't think that it'll wear well as a waistcoat with a shirt/tie Edward (the cut says jerkin to me).

I'll have to see one in person to see if it works for me. Sleeveless jackets conjure up the Eighties and "bodywarmers". The horror, the horror.... I do like this in the photos, though. I see it being worn over a shirt in warmer months, in place of a snug jacket like a 30s halfbelt. Bit of a steampunk vibe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy