Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Sheene/Seven or Aero 1930s Half Belt - Fit, Style, & Guidance

TommyMizz1

New in Town
Hi, welcome to the lounge.

1: With chest pockets you will always shave the same problem. If the pocket bag is deep it fits big things, but getting small things out is a pain. Or it will have a short pocket bag, and small things will be a breeze to get out, but big things wont.
The angle doesn't make it much easier to reach the bottom if it is deep. IMO chest pocket angle is mostly a visual thing.
Choose what you prefer. I don't think they will allow you to chose the angle, you might be able to chose angled or not on some models.

2: No, i think they do it on a few models as part of the design, or use corduroy with specific fragile liners, but that's it.

3: No, drill is drill. The cotton tartan looks and feels awesome and is a bit thinner than the cotton drill.
Season wise, doesn't really make a difference, even the Strome lining (super thick tartan) isn't that warm (it will boil you in summer though!). What you layer underneath is what will keep you warm. If i only had one jacket i would get cotton (drill or tartan) just so that i could wear it more often and layer underneath it.

4: Straight yoke back is two pieces. Nothing wrong with more than pieces though!

5: Aero doesn't allow modification of shoulders, but they allo tapering and widening at the bottom. All you can do is change size and adapt the bottom hem to fit. Or change pattern.

6: Personal choice, no right or wrong.

7: Same, personally if i need to warm my hands i wear gloves. Pockets without zippers have a tendency to age badly and end up gaping and deformed. I avoid them.
Zipped up or down depends on you. Since i keep my pockets closed at all times, i prefer to have them closed down.
If they close up it can start looking very busy if you also have chest pockets. If you don't have chest pockets, then closing up might be a way to break things up.

8: Kidney panel feels fine. On Aeros it is just a double layer of leather, it will break in,soften up and more or less mold to you. On my Vanson Chopper there are layers of nylon sandwiched in there i think, and it is annoying as it is very very stiff.

9: I doubt you can request different lengths of split at the bottom.
They are very much design features, most jackets with a drop front will have a zipper starting higher up on the lapel so that the jacket doesn't ride up when you sit down.
The 30s HB for example has a drop front, zipper starts a couple inches up from the bottom. The 50s HB on the other hand has a straight bottom and has the zipper start at the bottom.
Same deal with the board racer and the cafe racer. The J-100 for example has a good 4" at the bottom before the zipper starts.
Super detailed response, thank you very much - exactly what I was looking for. Anyone else, please feel free to comment! I will not use my hand warmers at all, personally, so it seems like zips are the best route. I’m considering (not sold yet though) ditching the hand warmers or the chest pockets for a cleaner, more simplified look. Anyone have a jacket like this?

TommyMizz1

New in Town
If I were to do mine again...
August collar
Cotton drill body/ sateen sleeves
Longer main zipper (less splay)
Angled chest pockets (slightly)
No zips on hand warmers

@Radz108 has both jackets, but his threads no longer have photos.
Mike, loving this direction... the reason no zips on hand warmers would appeal to me is the cleaner look, less “busy.”

When you say less “splay” on the zipper, is that the split on the bottom I was talking about? Thx!

Yes, splay = length below where the zipper ends.
I didn't like cotton drill in the tight sleeves. As the leather creased & shortened in the arms, the cotton didn't and the bulk got these wrinkles that got rigid (lack of a better term) that ended up irritating the inside of my elbows.
Leather color is dependent on batch color. You can't really control it much. Just ask for what you want, and they will try (dark/ grainy/ etc) dont get too hung up on color. The brown is great looking stuff, and it will change over time.

Vezio

One of the Regulars
Hello, and congrat for your future purchase.
I live in Napoli in Italy, and I'm 42. My measurements are similar to yours:
I'm 5'8", and 158 lbs. but with a different frame: my shoulders and chest aren't
broad, and my waist is wider than yours: my Levi's 501 measures are W32/L30!
I own the following leather jackets:
- Schott NYC "LC 940D" size M, corresponding to a Schott 141 Made in USA;
- Schott NYC "LC 5100" size M, similar to a "Highwayman" model;
- Aero "Premier Half Belt" Black CXLFQHH size 40 - 24.5 lenght
reviewat this link:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-premier-half-belt-review.92780/
- Aero "B6" Seal with seal trim size 38.
I would recommend You an Aero Café Racer, because Premier Half Belt is tight
at the top (chest and shoulders), but quite roomy at the waist and abdomen
level. I do not own the Board Racer and Cafe models, but between the two, if
I were you I would choose the second, for the wider form of the shoulders,
and for the presence of gussets. The Board Racer model, from the internet
pics, seems to me more tubular and narrower in the shoulders, for your
physical shape.
I'll try to answer some of your questions:
1-A. Duration of lining depends on the use made of the jacket, not on the
material, but lining material is important for climate and for use trough
seasons: my Half Belt lining is a medium tartan, and is good in my country
from late fall until early spring, but no good for cold winters.
2/3-A. I like back yoke: my jacket has a double point yoke as standard for
Premier Half Belt, but also for a Booard Racer I would (or WILL maybe in
the future :)) chose a single point "Premier Highwayman" yoke without
kidney panels both inside and outside!
4-A. I think you'd need shoulder gussets for Cafè Racer and bi swing for
Half Belt.
5-A. I rarely put things in my jacket pockets. I have an old NOKIA N70 and
don't use smart phones because they're bigger to put in my trousers pockets
:)!!!
6-A. For a Half Belt I would choose a Premier collar, but for a Cafè Racer
I would leave the original Korean collar, because it is beautiful and
characteristic for the motorcycle style of the jacket.
7-A. Aero doesn't alter main styles of their jackets, and certainly drop
cannot be eliminated: butI think it's very important for this style of
jackets: the drop keeps the front part with the back at the same length.
8-A. Aero Talon zippers are only size 5, but with a little care they
are durable too.
9-A. I think that cuffs with zippers are perfect and right for Cafè/Board
Racer style. More precisely I think that Cafè back sleeve position of
zippers is the best and more sober than Board Racer front position.
1-B. Not using pockets of my jackets, I would leave them in the standard
position, which I normally like, both for Half Belt and for Board/Cafè.
2-B. In an old Fedora post I read that Aero added leather strips to the
bottom interior of the jacket's lining for durability at a price of 50£,
but I don't know if it's possible now.
3-B. There are different weights for Tartan, not for cotton drill.
4-B. The yoke is a piece of leather that is sewn overlapping the piece
of leather below: in any case, Aero's seams are made to perfection :).
5-B. The only thing you can do to prevent the jacket from being wide or
narrow in any part of the body is: wear a denim jacket, of wich you like
the fit, take the measurements of the shoulders, pit to pit, waist, back
length and the sleeves, and compare them with the standard measures of
Half Belt or Cafè Racer (obviously matching your size). Consider that
what you can choose to change is only back length and sleeves. Some users
of Fedora have bought jackets with mixed sizes, for example chest 40,
waist 38, but I do not like the result (at least from the photos published!).
7-B. Hand warmers regular for Half Belt and zipped downward for Board Racer.
8-B. My experience on kidney panel is with my Schott Cafè Racer, that being
too long for me doesn't give problems of style (in the sense that I do not
really like its style :)).
9-B. My Half Belt zipper ends at the base of jacket for default, but I think
this is an option for Aero jackets: I've seen many pics of Board racer with
Long and short front zippers.
I hope I've been helpful. Vezio.
PNG-A.png

PNG-B.png

PNG-C.png

Last edited:

TommyMizz1

New in Town
Hey @Vezio, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and provide a super detailed response. Love your jacket as well, they fit you perfectly!

I agree with pretty much everything you've said - the kidney panel does look a bit weird sometimes, which is why I'm not sure if I want it.

Can anyone provide some definite advice here? Kidney panel or straight yoke? Keep in mind that this is going to be a shorter, cropped style jacket (at the belt or above).

The TFL members!

Leither

One of the Regulars
My cordovan Sheene was based on these with a simpler back, no zip hand warmers and 2 horizontal breast pockets. Talked it through with Denny last year in the Gala factory (which is a temple of leathery loveliness that is so worth a visit).

TommyMizz1

New in Town
Hey guys!

Been awhile since I've posted. I want to share my jacket with you! I love it. The fit turned out incredible, and it's starting to wear super nice. More pics to come!

Let me know your thoughts:

Attachments

• New.jpg
    New.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 1,588
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 1,795

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Yes, splay = length below where the zipper ends.
I didn't like cotton drill in the tight sleeves. As the leather creased & shortened in the arms, the cotton didn't and the bulk got these wrinkles that got rigid (lack of a better term) that ended up irritating the inside of my elbows.
Leather color is dependent on batch color. You can't really control it much. Just ask for what you want, and they will try (dark/ grainy/ etc) dont get too hung up on color. The brown is great looking stuff, and it will change over time.

The problem I've had with cotton drill in tight sleeves is that it will slowly ride up whatever you're wearing underneath it and it will bunch up around your biceps (light sweaters have been the worst and I don't wear them with these jackets). I've only have this issue with a couple of my Aero's so I'm not really sure why some of mine do it and others don't. If I get another slim Aero I'd really consider getting a sateen liner. Wish Aero offered a nylon interior like Langlitz offers. It's pretty indestructible and super smooth.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Hey guys!

Been awhile since I've posted. I want to share my jacket with you! I love it. The fit turned out incredible, and it's starting to wear super nice. More pics to come!

Let me know your thoughts:

Looks great - should wear in well.

The only thing I'd mention is if the sleeves are exactly where you want them now they may shorten slightly as the sleeves crease more and ride up a bit. I like my sleeves to hit the knuckle where my hand/thumb meet so this is a super short jacket for my tastes but I think thin guys like you can really pull off the look with shorter sleeves well.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The problem I've had with cotton drill in tight sleeves is that it will slowly ride up whatever you're wearing underneath it and it will bunch up around your biceps (light sweaters have been the worst and I don't wear them with these jackets). I've only have this issue with a couple of my Aero's so I'm not really sure why some of mine do it and others don't. If I get another slim Aero I'd really consider getting a sateen liner. Wish Aero offered a nylon interior like Langlitz offers. It's pretty indestructible and super smooth.

I'll have to check but I'm 99% sure all my Aero jackets ordered through Thurston Bros always come with Sateen in the sleeves as standard....

I just checked a few order summaries and yes, Carrie has always specified in the order for the sleeves to be the Sateen with the Body to be whatever Tartan I chose. Another reason to go through Thurston if you can.....its all the little details like this that you don't even think about!!

Aero does have an amazing quilted liner- iridescent red/green.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko