Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero size, style and fit

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great jackets.

On the topic of "rules," I admittedly match leathers (belt, shoes, watch strap and jacket). On the other hand, I wear shirts untucked :eeek:.

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
My point was to show some styles and sizes. So all picutures were taken in one session. Next time i will take more care about machting. Usually i also match my belt and shoes und in most cases the jacket :)

Last edited:

I would go out tonight

One of the Regulars
They are all good looking jackets. The vicenza jacket that got wet looks the way a lot of people would like their jackets to look. As for matching, I think there is a very fine line between looking 'stylish' and looking like you are wearing an outfit that has taken a lot of planning. Nice stuff that fits well is 90% of the way there. If that can be achieved, the other 90% is taken up working out the details.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Leather jackets for me are casual wear, if your going casual, to hell with the "rules" (to a degree). And even the "experts" of style say to follow the rules until you master them, then break them lol.

Great looking jackets, even the HWM that you say is too big ,looks great with the extra layer....maybe just keep it for a cold weather jacket?

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
I agree, it's important you learn the basic style rules before you start building your wardrobe.
Just get brown shoes and you should be good. And a black belt if you don't have one.

I started building my wardrobe a long time ago ( im over a half century old ;) ) I already have shoes and belts in all different colors. But my girlfriend who has taken the photos did not had the patience to wait for matching shoes and belts for every picture. I was glad she took them all in one session.

@mendelboaz The idea for the cuffs on the CR is from a similar jacket on the Aero Sale page:

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=2622

pawineguy

One Too Many
Great jackets and fits. From having soaked my Vincenza jacket when it was fairly new, I can attest that when I dried mine slowly, at room temperature only, it didn't shrink at all. I too like the cuffs on the CR, although I wouldn't want them on my own jacket, I think they look great and make it a unique piece.

Cooperson

One Too Many
All very nice jackets. With your slim frame, I think the Premier version of the 30's half belt might fit you a treat!
Welcome by the way.

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
All very nice jackets. With your slim frame, I think the Premier version of the 30's half belt might fit you a treat!
Welcome by the way.

Thank you.

I already thought about the Premier version of the 1930 Half Belt or a Sheene.

I am looking for a not so boxy jacket with a better fit in the back. My Cafe Racer and Half Belt have both a little bulky back. Maybe the solution could be a Dustbowl or Hercules back.

morrison2951

Practically Family
Yo APP Adrian, I've got a reddish tan cordovan color HH Vanson Enfield. Is it true that I can get away with either brown or black shoes with this color? I actually like wearing either my vintage brown Fryes or black Tony Lamas with it.

Denton

One of the Regulars
Rules like Adrian's are basically a way of not thinking about color. Which can be useful -- sometimes you have more important things to think about. If you are thinking about color, though, sometimes you might get a better effect with a contrasting color than with a matching color. Further, some black leathers become increasingly brown as they age, so are you trying to match the color that the leather originally had, or the color that it is going to have?

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Yo APP Adrian, I've got a reddish tan cordovan color HH Vanson Enfield. Is it true that I can get away with either brown or black shoes with this color? I actually like wearing either my vintage brown Fryes or black Tony Lamas with it.

Could you post pictures of said HH Vanson Enfield? I find it hard imagining the color. Black shoes are a safe bet. Or you could get bespoke shoes of the same color =P.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Rules like Adrian's are basically a way of not thinking about color. Which can be useful -- sometimes you have more important things to think about. If you are thinking about color, though, sometimes you might get a better effect with a contrasting color than with a matching color. Further, some black leathers become increasingly brown as they age, so are you trying to match the color that the leather originally had, or the color that it is going to have?

Never knew that black leather can turn brown overtime. I inherited my grandfathers black cap toe dress shoes, these bad boys are made in the 50s and they still look pretty good too me.

EDIT: I have only black shoes and a black belt. Brown is just not my style.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Rules like Adrian's are basically a way of not thinking about color. Which can be useful -- sometimes you have more important things to think about.

An even more effective way of not thinking about color can be achieved by genuinely not thinking about color and throwing away those arbitrary rules. :D But I understand that some people need or enjoy rules and the world is big enough for them too as long as they don't judge others for ignoring them.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I don't think it's a random rule, per se. Even before I knew this sartorial pointer, I never wore black shoes with brown clothing, or at least tried to avoid it, because it just 'didn't work' [huh] for me. To me, these sorts of things are short cuts to get you out the door quickly without looking as if you've got dressed in the dark:D.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I hear you.

It's arbitrary in that it is made up and based on some people's idea of what looks better. It's "culturally located" to use a more pretentious term. But it's not like what you "should wear" is an actual law of physics. It is just an opinion. Years ago in many places a woman would have been arrested for wearing a bikini in public. We now laugh at that and recognize this sartorial convention for what it was: arbitrary nonsense located in time and place and best forgotten, unless you're worried about skin cancer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy