Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Steerhide

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Wonderful jacket! Looks amazing and will just get better and better. Really like the classic bike as well, wear it and enjoy!

What others said; just great in every possible way. Great jacket, Commando, what else could you possibly need.

Mike D

Familiar Face
What others said; just great in every possible way. Great jacket, Commando, what else could you possibly need.

Thanks, could not have done it without everybody's advice and the patience to wait for 2 fit jackets.

As for the Norton, i ride it quite often.
I just found somebody with 4 1960's Triumph Bonnevilles in boxes. He told me he has a 1966 matching numbers one that he might part with.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Thanks, could not have done it without everybody's advice and the patience to wait for 2 fit jackets.

As for the Norton, i ride it quite often.
I just found somebody with 4 1960's Triumph Bonnevilles in boxes. He told me he has a 1966 matching numbers one that he might part with.

I used to rebuild 50’s Brit bikes back in the seventies as a hobby, and a friend liked my bikes and so bought himself a tatty BSA A10 650 twin which he said he was going to rebuild. I knew what he was like and warned him not to strip it down but to restore it a bit at a time. But I was wasting my breath. It’s very easy taking things apart but not so easy putting them back together again so as I feared he ended up with a frame and two tea chests full of BSA bits. He sold it off a few years later for £50.

I like your Commando BTW. I had one thirty five years ago which I restored in my living room. It was a tidy enough job but not as nice as yours.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The evolution of this thread has been of particular interest to me as IMO the Cafe Racer or Board Racer with the HWM collar AKA the "Sheene" is one of the best jackets ever designed. It can be worn open most times but zipped so that maximum effect as a windbreaker is felt.

In this instance the OP had the luxury of two fit jackets being sent so that there was a clear path to the best fit for him between the two. Of particular interest was pawineguy's input as he owns both a Sheene based on the Cafe Racer design AND a Board Racer. His experience was his Sheene based on the Cafe Racer was optimal in size 42 with 1" added to the circumference of the waist. For his Board Racer I think his optimal fit was a stock size 44 but needed to size up from 42 to 44 for the Board Racer. I do recall him telling me that a size 42 Board Racer was too tight everywhere.

1.jpg 2.jpg

IMO the fit here is probably good enough, although one can see what appears to be excessive material at the shoulders, although I am uncertain whether the shoulder gussets might have impacted the fit in that area and whether a simple straight back without gussets might have made a difference here.

3.jpg 4.jpg

There is no question in my mind this Board Racer is a better fit and far cleaner look than the Cafe Racer above.

5.jpg 6.jpg

Above is the final product with the HWM collar. Both of these Board Racer designed jackets appear to fit extremely well. I think the fit BR above with the mandarin collar is made from goatskin whereas the final product is FQHH, and each seems to have its own unique drape. If I were the OP, I might consider purchasing the second fit jacket with the mandarin collar since the overall look of each BR jacket is different, and I see only minimal duplication present here. So how is that for enabling? :D

Hopefully, the information in this thread will help others discover their optimal fit. Of paramount importance is a fit jacket, particularly with the Cafe/Board Racer designs.

Witchtrip

One of the Regulars
Hey Mike, I've just ordered my first Aero (agonizing over every detail as appropriate for a first-timer) and I wanted to congratulate you on an excellent outcome. The fit is fantastic - the color gorgeous - a total winner all the way around. I planned on only owning 1 Aero, but a dark brown Seven might be the necessary compliment to a black HWM...

I guess I missed it, but what type of liner did you get? Perhaps you could post a couple of pics?...

Cheers \m/

Mike D

Familiar Face
Hey Mike, I've just ordered my first Aero (agonizing over every detail as appropriate for a first-timer) and I wanted to congratulate you on an excellent outcome. The fit is fantastic - the color gorgeous - a total winner all the way around. I planned on only owning 1 Aero, but a dark brown Seven might be the necessary compliment to a black HWM...

I guess I missed it, but what type of liner did you get? Perhaps you could post a couple of pics?...

Cheers \m/
And it makes my closet smell good.

Here's the link for the liner choice on Thurston Bros instagram page
https://www.instagram.com/p/BE_aOrDMfhe/?taken-by=thurstonbros&hl=en

Radz108

One of the Regulars
The evolution of this thread has been of particular interest to me as IMO the Cafe Racer or Board Racer with the HWM collar AKA the "Sheene" is one of the best jackets ever designed. It can be worn open most times but zipped so that maximum effect as a windbreaker is felt.

In this instance the OP had the luxury of two fit jackets being sent so that there was a clear path to the best fit for him between the two. Of particular interest was pawineguy's input as he owns both a Sheene based on the Cafe Racer design AND a Board Racer. His experience was his Sheene based on the Cafe Racer was optimal in size 42 with 1" added to the circumference of the waist. For his Board Racer I think his optimal fit was a stock size 44 but needed to size up from 42 to 44 for the Board Racer. I do recall him telling me that a size 42 Board Racer was too tight everywhere.

View attachment 44865 View attachment 44866

IMO the fit here is probably good enough, although one can see what appears to be excessive material at the shoulders, although I am uncertain whether the shoulder gussets might have impacted the fit in that area and whether a simple straight back without gussets might have made a difference here.

View attachment 44867 View attachment 44868

There is no question in my mind this Board Racer is a better fit and far cleaner look than the Cafe Racer above.

View attachment 44869 View attachment 44870

Above is the final product with the HWM collar. Both of these Board Racer designed jackets appear to fit extremely well. I think the fit BR above with the mandarin collar is made from goatskin whereas the final product is FQHH, and each seems to have its own unique drape. If I were the OP, I might consider purchasing the second fit jacket with the mandarin collar since the overall look of each BR jacket is different, and I see only minimal duplication present here. So how is that for enabling? :D

Hopefully, the information in this thread will help others discover their optimal fit. Of paramount importance is a fit jacket, particularly with the Cafe/Board Racer designs.
Mike D,
I have a quick question... When looking at the BR fit jacket and the final seven jacket, the zipper length seems shorter in the fit jacket compared to the final jacket. In the fit jacket, the main zipper ends at or near the top of your belt buckle. In the final jacket, the zipper seems to end below the belt buckle. Did you extend the zipper in your custom jacket?

Mike D

Familiar Face
Mike D,
I have a quick question... When looking at the BR fit jacket and the final seven jacket, the zipper length seems shorter in the fit jacket compared to the final jacket. In the fit jacket, the main zipper ends at or near the top of your belt buckle. In the final jacket, the zipper seems to end below the belt buckle. Did you extend the zipper in your custom jacket?

It does look different in the pic. FYI I got the nickel Talon zippers, You can ask Carrie to be sure.

Here's my exact order description if it helps

COMPANY NAME – Insurrection / Thurston Bros.

STYLE- Board Racer Sheene (Board Racer with Highwayman collar) with three-pocket front (left side horizontal chest pocket and two handwarmer pockets), no wind flap, J-100 style back with straight yoke, vertical seam and no kidney panel, and Olive Drab stitching

SIZE- 42

LEATHER- CXL FQHH

COLOUR- Brown (customer requests darkest color available)

GRAIN- Standard

**Aero uses full grain leathers, which are the most sought-after and most expensive in the world. These leathers have a natural, uncorrected finish that can vary in grain, color and character.

ZIPPER METAL TYPE- Nickel Talon front zipper (Sunburst box) with nickel Talon bell pulls on all four pockets

LINING- Holyrood Golden Jubilee lightweight tartan lining with black cotton drill in sleeves

LAMBSWOOL SCARF—Holyrood Modern lambswool scarf

SLEEVE LENGTH- 27 inches

BODY LENGTH- 26.5 inches

INSIDE POCKETS- Left side vertical interior pocket with no closure

FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS –

1) No windflap

2) Straight yoke (J-100) with vertical seam and no kidney panel

3) Highwayman collar

4) Olive Drab stitching throughout

5) Three-pocket front—left side horizontal chest pocket with two handwarmer pockets

6) Regular Aero Label

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk