Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Style Magazine

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Funny this, a bit of negativity on giving away something. I doubt you would have saved a lot on a jacket if this had never been printed, sometimes it is nice to keep customers up to date with whats on offer, If I had one I would show it to a friend rather than to log on next time they come around or give the web link to a person who would never look at the page.
As for the Eastman stuff, the calendars were probably a couple of months into the year and like any shop, they are just space wasters around March so why not treat a customer with a freebie.

Menocore

New in Town
2018-04-20 14.39.37.jpg

Arrived quickly. Nice one.

Edward

Bartender
Mine came in yesterday morning. Looking forward to a relaxed perusal. Alas, that will have to wait: it's currently in London, and I'm in Helsinki as I type, en route to Beijing for a week. The cover looks great, though. I originally wasn't sure about the shape of the Shackleton, but I'm more and more seeing one of those in my future (definitely leather backed).

willyto

One Too Many
The man on the cover is a fantastic guy! I had the pleasure of talking to him at the Grand Theft Aero Sale and then later went back to Edimburgh in the same train and spent some time at a pub in Edimburgh with him and another man from Glasgow.

I ordered one because it's a cool item to have and I like to have printed catalogues.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Being Scottish, having never been to the "Motherland", only thinking of Aero as a great source for bad ass leather, I am now excited to see knitwear I had never previously considered, potentially, as part of "my uniform". Love that sweater and leather vest- damn!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
In the absence of replies to my inquiry as to why this is more than 'just a catalog' in forced to draw my conclusions from the scant information posted in this thread since I certainly shall not be ordering wood pulp to be shipped halfway around the globe when I could just have easily viewed it as a PDF at the click of a mouse.

So, tell me if I haven't got this straight;
It's a knitwear catalog.
For the Spring/Summer season.
For knitwear AERO already regularly sells out of quickly.
Knitwear that Aero doesn't make in house, but buys in.

I know, I know, I'm such a negative Nelly, but not one of you can accept why I have these concerns? Everything 'makes sense' about this to you? (What, you're going to claim that chunky knit sweaters ARE summer wear in the U.K.?).

I'm kind of reminded of the Porsche catalog that my friend gets every year. Porsche make nice enough sports cars, but I don't need to fill my house with Porsche mugs and Porsche polo shirts just because Porsche have endorsed these products and 'bestowed greatness upon them'.

In the absence of replies to my inquiry as to why this is more than 'just a catalog' in forced to draw my conclusions from the scant information posted in this thread since I certainly shall not be ordering wood pulp to be shipped halfway around the globe when I could just have easily viewed it as a PDF at the click of a mouse.

So, tell me if I haven't got this straight;
It's a knitwear catalog.
For the Spring/Summer season.
For knitwear AERO already regularly sells out of quickly.
Knitwear that Aero doesn't make in house, but buys in.

I know, I know, I'm such a negative Nelly, but not one of you can accept why I have these concerns? Everything 'makes sense' about this to you? (What, you're going to claim that chunky knit sweaters ARE summer wear in the U.K.?).

I'm kind of reminded of the Porsche catalog that my friend gets every year. Porsche make nice enough sports cars, but I don't need to fill my house with Porsche mugs and Porsche polo shirts just because Porsche have endorsed these products and 'bestowed greatness upon them'.
Could be just a chance to stretch their creative wings? With photography, art direction etc. I agree, there isn't a need per say but the idea of a paper catalogue does appeal to me. It's the same way I look forward to the Filson rag. I could easily peruse the wares online but the way the catalog is laid out, the sceanarios etc...just appeals to me a bit more. I appreciate it on a different level than blank staring at the good ol LCD.

ProteinNerd

@Big J why not email Aero and get them to explain their rationale behind making it?

Honestly, I don’t understand why you seem so determined to poo poo the stuff you do and you keep bringing it up and reposting. Whether it’s a GW wait time and price or the Aero catalogue you seem to spend a lot of time posting about stuff you say you aren’t interested in.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I ask questions about things I don't understand.
Other people equate that with criticism. It is not.

El Marro

At the end of the day, companies don't do anything nice for free for their customers. Some companies give great customer and after sale service because they know it earns them goodwill and customer loyalty
I have to disagree with you on that point Big J. I am an electrical contractor and I regularly do nice things for free when I am working for a customer who I like or admire. It does earn me goodwill and loyalty, and it also gives me a feeling of pride and purpose that I am not just chasing a dollar but also using my skills and knowledge to help people around me.
Perhaps the folks at Aero felt a similar motivation when they put together the new style magazine.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@ton312, yeah, maybe it is. If one of the posters above had said something like this;
'You know Big J, it's full of great fit pics of Aero products', I'd have been satisfied I think, because there is a paucity of fit pics on the Aero website. But nobody said that.

I think it was you who lauded the sustainability of the Blue Label range (IIRC), made up of left over ends of mis-matched leather. I agreed. I thought it was a great idea. Sending magazines out seems contrary to that philosophy. Maybe there never was any philosophy, and it's all just a muddle?

@El Marro, yes, I agree. As I stated above, goodwill is marketing. There's nothing wrong with that.

Given what Ken has been through in the last few years, rather than doing this, I'd have fully approved of him using the money for a couple of weeks in Tahiti instead. He's earned it.

Interestingly, this discussion has shown yet again that there is a hyper-sensitivity around questions on the part of some. Ask a question about the accuracy of DD jackets, get slammed on the internet. Ask a question about GW's 4 year 2 year wait time, get slammed. Ask a question about a leather company promoting someone else's knitwear, get slammed.
It's interesting, because it shows that people are already aware of the issues that I am questioning and hence insecure about being called out on it, maybe? And of course, everyone always forgets the many times I have praised JC or Aero.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Twice I had it in my cart ready to go but balked. I know they refund the shipping price but I hate outstanding balances. Lol.

The catalogue, while I have no real desire to purchase knitwear in the near future, is really appealing to me for two reasons

A) I enjoy well-done printed catalogues
B) there is plenty of text to accompany the images. In nearly every flight/leather jacket book I have owned the stress has been put on pictures; less on words. I’d be eager to read up on the history of each style if included in the catalog. It’s cool.

ProteinNerd

It also says you can just email them and ask for one, that’s what I did. The checkout with £50 postage made me too nervous lol

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Definitely like that they are doing a print catalogue. It somehow feels more real to me than a website (not that websites aren’t indispensable). It’s nice to actually have a physical magazine to hold in your hands. Especially since I’m working on reducing my screen time. Have ordered mine but not received it yet.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Isn't the magazine just a physical gesture towards the whole, hand crafted/authenticity/artisan/locally sourced marketing stuff Aero and companies like them use? So, surely an old school magazine with cool pics of cool looking people in knitwear fits right into Aero's brand positioning as far as I can tell and just builds more brand goodwill and general awareness using the themes that seem to work for the company. And you can even read here how people think a magazine is more authentic or 'real' somehow than a website - surely that's how the brand fuctions.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Seb Lucas, great post, and I think you're striking at the heart of where I'm coming from on this issue.
I was hoping it wasn't true, but it seems that this is 'brand positioning hype', and as much as people like to think that they are into 'artisanal' brands because malls are so 'cookie-cutter', at the end of the day, they are still trapped by the same psychological marketing tricks that have people liining up for the latest apple product launch, wearing Supreme because Beiber does, or wearing crocs because they are 'in'.
They've just substituted one consumerism for another, and are purchasing their rebellion and individualism, and as such are easily led with by whatever brand is in question.
The clash wrote a song about this;
'I'm gonna get a jacket just like yours, and pledge my false allegiance to your cause'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner