Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero to make jackets for new Hollywood WW2 Film, "The Monuments Men"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Yeah...thats the 1st thing that crosses my mind when im wearing my aero a2....i do wish i had another stitch per squar inch ;-)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Other than obsessively counting stitches, how would you ever know? Oh, right, you do obsessively count the stitches...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Well, what do you think I've doing for the past 10 years? FL is seriously addictive, but there are the bills to pay, so it's back to the pop coalface with me... ;) On the other hand, it might just be wishful thinking on my part.

majormajor

One Too Many
You're looking older, Sloan;)

[video=youtube;FOyDTy9DtHQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOyDTy9DtHQ[/video]

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That's what this place does to you! :D I'm very pleased with the single, though. A bit worried that Visconti may have slathered the rest of the record in descant recorders when I wasn't looking, though. He did that with Sparks and The Boomtown Rats, and I'll be damned if he's going to do it with me.

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
Anyway back to the point of the thread.

Is it that Aero got the contract to supply their military jackets for this forthcoming Hollywood production because thay offered a cheap budgetary option for the producers or are these producers so limited in knowledge that they don't no any better and are happy to settle for a third rate option.
That is the shame when they could have got another manufacturer to make them with better quality.

I know HD / Major Major/ et all thinks that Aero can do no wrong and maybe in their non military produced jackets they do reine supreme but sadly and truthfully not in A2's !!

No film needs to have accuracy beyond story and no it won't spoil the enjoyment of the film if the jackets are poorer in quality and appearance than they should. Particularly if the story is strong.
As mentioned before the film 12 o Clock High still sets the standard for USAAF films and yet some of the A2's have two piece backs.

I suppose we can forgive so much with GCI but props are always best if they look good.

Sadly Ken has probably returned to late to alter and improve the jackets provided what with the film timing schedules and its atticipated release date so they are stuck with the Aero's that are sadly poorer in quality (leather,appearance, features, and fit) that they could have had.

Over at VJL don't be fooled but the silly remarks of some of the Wags here that all the folks want to talk about is stitch count !!

Lots of folks when they put them on just want to be happy wearing them.
Actually everyone loves leather jackets as that what is the forum is about. Everyone is welcome and everyone is still learning to appreciate what is available and what they own and want.
At the moment Aero's military jackets are poor in quality to their competitors and Ken knows and has said as much.

Lets hope Aero soon get their act together and produce better quality miltary jackets soon. Their customers deserve no less. As a former customer I would love to buy from them again but until Ken raises the game thats impossible.
Thankfully I am not brainwashed to believe that anything/everything produced by the current repro military manufacturer (Goodwear, Eastman, Aero, RMNZ, Kelso, McCoys) is perfect.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The jackets haven't been made yet, as far as I know. I'm still not sure what you mean by poor quality fit and leathers - if I thought Aero jackets were made from the paper thin stuff that the likes of Boss, Armani or even Belstaff use nowadays, then, yeah, I'd agree, but we all know that's not the case, so you need to be clearer.
Also, there is a whole bookful of reference photos for the Monuments Men, so quibbles about 'fit' will probably be settled that way. That aside, my impression as somebody who likes the style, but isn't hung up on 'accuracy', is that there is no single 'correct' fit for A-2s, and that it's a dubious thing to set down airy 'this is right/this is wrong' prescriptions.

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
Why is that any rejection of the abject hero worhip that is Aero on Fedora is "off topic"
or even worse... The deletion of the thread !!

The thread is about Aero being chosen as a supplier.
Are we not even allowed to ask why ????

It might be thought that any repeats as you put it were to get the thread back on topic.
Perhaps you were not reading it fully ?

Common guys . Lighten up.

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
The jackets haven't been made yet, as far as I know. I'm still not sure what you mean by poor quality fit and leathers - if I thought Aero jackets were made from the paper thin stuff that the likes of Boss, Armani or even Belstaff use nowadays, then, yeah, I'd agree, but we all know that's not the case, so you need to be clearer.
Also, there is a whole bookful of reference photos for the Monuments Men, so quibbles about 'fit' will probably be settled that way. That aside, my impression as somebody who likes the style, but isn't hung up on 'accuracy', is that there is no single 'correct' fit for A-2s, and that it's a dubious thing to set down airy 'this is right/this is wrong' prescriptions.

Thats good news if the jackets have not been made as there is more chance with Ken returning of a higher spec military jacket being offered.

The quality of the leather used by Aero is not to the standards being used in the manufacture process by other companies.
If you look at the grain, colour, type of leather and compare to other A2's on the market place, Aero's A2's look plain and uninspiring.
I appreciate they are cheaper but even in comparision to similar (Eastman/Kelso) they have been poor.
Other tricks (in the past hopefully now) such as putting on repro Zips and calling them NOS zippers do not do any additional favours

As for fit. The modern man is not the slim 18-22 year old anymore and they got what they were given during the war.
In this modern age we approach and buy from modern repro houses for a jacket that fits us.
We want one that we can wear and be happy waering. And no we are not counting the stitches either !! Aero's reputation is less than perfect in this case again for customer satisfaction over the past years.

majormajor

One Too Many
Here's a pic of Persimmon (or Mr VLJ as I affectionately call him) in his Goodwear A2.

persimmonh.jpg

Very nice jacket, I'm sure we would all agree. But with one less stitch per inch, it would be positively grotesque, wouldn't it?

Couldn't POSSIBLY watch a film with such an aberration in it. It would just spoil it so!!

By the way, haven't been on VLJ for a few years now, but the Goodwear bias used to be palpable in their A2 threads, mailnly because Mr Goodwear was one of the Mods, and all the stitchcounters wanted to be his best mate, just so they could jump the queue. As they say - little things.................:D:D:D;)

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
Here's a pic of Persimmon (or Mr VLJ as I affectionately call him) in his Goodwear A2.

persimmonh.jpg

Very nice jacket, I'm sure we would all agree. But with one less stitch per inch, it would be positively grotesque, wouldn't it?

Couldn't POSSIBLY watch a film with such an aberration in it. It would just spoil it so!!

By the way, haven't been on VLJ for a few years now, but the Goodwear bias used to be palpable in their A2 threads, mailnly because Mr Goodwear was one of the Mods, and all the stitchcounters wanted to be his best mate, just so they could jump the queue. As they say - little things.................:D:D:D;)

PS. The lay of that collar looks crap.

Last edited:
Why is that any rejection of the abject hero worhip that is Aero on Fedora is "off topic"
or even worse... The deletion of the thread !!

The thread is about Aero being chosen as a supplier.
Are we not even allowed to ask why ????

It might be thought that any repeats as you put it were to get the thread back on topic.
Perhaps you were not reading it fully ?

Common guys . Lighten up.

You are repeating yourself,again. We get it..but then..that's not really the point. Seems certain opinion may better reign supreme on the VLJ but not so much here. Now..do you get it?..but of course you do...

Persimmon

One of the Regulars

persimmonh.jpg

Thanks for the posting.

This is obviously on topic - see above. You might get in trouble !!

Perhaps you would like to post a picture of yourself as well .

So you seem to like to shout down (unsuccessfully) and call out names and then post pictures to attempt to discredit people.

Really grow up. Its a forum on various topics and in this specific case leather jackets .
People are allowed to have opinions even if they do not agree with yours.

Just how old are you really !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot