Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero to make jackets for new Hollywood WW2 Film, "The Monuments Men"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is that any rejection of the abject hero worhip that is Aero on Fedora is "off topic"
or even worse... The deletion of the thread !!

Simply because your intent is to argue about what you insist others should also be concerned about. If there is less interest by those here..that is just not acceptable to you. Finally it becomes tiresome...as you escalate the drama...which obviously is your main purpose.

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
What a wonderfully "VLJ" reply, Mr P. Reminded me of old times :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Ah yes the gentleman who shouts abuse at other members !!!
This a thread on Aero perhaps you might like to focus back on that topic

Please please try. I am beginning to truly be embarrassed for you.

Common give some jacket output on the thread topic

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
You'll notice I deleted my reply almost immediately. This is because... Oh, why bother wasting my breath?

majormajor

One Too Many
Just how old are you really !!

Probably as old as you. And I've probably had as many A2s as you, too. But you'll still be "superior" in your own little world.

When I first bought an A2 it was just a jacket.

The very worst aspect of them nowadays, is not the accuracy or lack of it, but simply the fact that it attracts supercilious know-alls like you and the rest of VLJ's A2 "experts".

Almost a good reason for not wearing the bloody things.

So keep on digging your "holier-than-thou" hole, my friend. And I will enjoy relieving myself in it:D;)

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
Simply because your intent is to argue about what you insist others should also be concerned about. If there is less interest by those here..that is just not acceptable to you. Finally it becomes tiresome...as you escalate the drama...which obviously is your main purpose.

After discussions on David Bowie I bring the subject back to the thread topic, reply to statements and yet I become "tiresome" to you.

The thread is about Aero and it seems no one is allowed to argue against them. Shame on you V. Now you really know better dont you.

Has anyone got a Aero A2 that is perfection to them here. Even Ken has admitted they can and will do better with their military output.
Has anyone got a Goodwear/Eastman etc either. I doubt it. There is no such thing as a keeper these days

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
Probably as old as you. And I've probably had as many A2s as you, too. But you'll still be "superior" in your own little world.

When I first bought an A2 it was just a jacket.

The very worst aspect of them nowadays, is not the accuracy or lack of it, but simply the fact that it attracts supercilous know-alls like you and the rest of VLJ's A2 "experts".

Almost a good reason for not wearing the bloody things.

So keep on digging your "holier-than-thou" hole, my friend. And I will enjoy relieving myself in it:D;)

Thank you.
Not sure with the abuse you have offered we can be classed as friends though
I certainly do not believe I am knowledgable enough to be classed as an expert.
We are all learning.

The thread is about Aero. Perhaps you will tire of giving friendly abuse and focus on the subject !!
Please please try

majormajor

One Too Many
The thread is about Aero.

The thread is about Aero jackets being used in a film.

You highjacked it, giving us your pernickety views, and slagging Aero and Ken Calder.

The same thing used to happen regularly on VLJ, to both ELC and Aero, usually by owners of Goodwear jackets.

So maybe just keep it there, on VLJ, where it belongs.

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
The thread is about Aero jackets being used in a film.

You highjacked it, giving us your pernickety views, and slagging Aero and Ken Calder.

The same thing used to happen regularly on VLJ, to both ELC and Aero, usually by owners of Goodwear jackets.

So maybe just keep it there, on VLJ, where it belongs.

The thread is about Aero jackets being used in a film

I discussed why that was.
That is on topic.

Yet all I seem to hear from you is abuse (friendly ish !!).
No substance on the topic thread at all.

Please please try

PS. If you read all my posts no where have I slagged off Ken.
I believe and have stated clearly that he is on the case to improve Aero's military jackets.

Please try and actually read the posts

PPS We would love to have you over on VLJ. We are open to all members having opinions

Last edited:
Shame on you V. Now you really know better dont you.

Your 'scolding' won't work with me..although it seems to be successful at inflaming others. Hopefully this thread won't be locked because of your antics..but rather banishment for P back to VLJ land where the exaggerated sense of self importance has an easier fit.
HD

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
Your 'scolding' won't work with me..although it seems to be successful at inflaming others. Hopefully this thread won't be locked because of your antics..but rather banishment for P back to VLJ land where the exaggerated sense of self importance has an easier fit.
HD

My antics. V. you really you are a wag. I have not returned the abuse offered by some. I have been pro Ken (MM try and read the posts) I have been on topic discussing Aero military jackets and their role in this production. No David Bowie off topic posts by me etc.
Why would someone want to close the thread unless it is that no criticism of Aero is allowed. Surely that is not the case.
Has anyone other than myself mentioned Aero jackets recently in the posts in relation to the thread title ??
Come on chaps play the game.

Edward

Bartender
Ken is definitely overhauling the Irvins. The sale page has a few prototypes with the deeper sleeves, and I've seen the 1945 multi-panel model that's on the slate that makes me really want one. I know Andrew S is a bit sceptical about these developments, but from talking to him, Ken is intent on taking Aero back to its roots and re-establishing Aero jackets on its original premise of historically accurate jackets.

Good to hear. If I could get the cash together, I'd love an Accurate Aero repop of the Coastal Command Irvin (they did make one for an FL member a year or two ago; I know it changed hands on eBay (it had the tubular sleeves, which is if memory serves why it got sold on - though perhaps I'm confusing that with someone else...). I'd adore to have one of the Aces High jackets, but for now at least they're just far enough out of my price range as to not be realistic.

For my experience, I definitely have noticed the difference between Aero A2's and those by some of the other "higher end" manufacturers.
I'm a HUGE Aero fan when it comes to their civilian jackets. Not so much for their A2's.
HAVING SAID THAT.....Aero makes quality jackets, INCLUDING their A2's.

That would be my experience too.

Personally, I find the Goodwear A2's to be magnificent. I was able to examine about half a dozen of theirs (different contracts) recently.

Yes, John's A2s do seem to be universally recognised as the very best of all the repros. I'd love one myself. Nearly did get one at a time but just when I seemed to have the money the value of the pound against the dolalr fell through the floor, raising the price to me, in effect, by about GBP200, making it impractical. If ever I have unlinited funds for an A2, that's where I'd go, though.

That said, the Aero ones I find do have merit. They are about $400 less expensive, with excellent leather hides used. The Aero ones have one less stitch per inch in the seams, and use better knits than the originals used (originals stretched out quickly and most other high end makers copy this). For something I would wear frequently I would not be as concerned wearing an Aero, as the one I have has proven to be durable and resilient. I'm not going to wear my Goodwear as often, as I want to keep it for more special occasions and not risk any damage or excessive wear and tear to it.

Yes, horses for courses... I enjoy reading about details and I appreciate accuracy also, but I think or most of us cost must also play a part. Both of my A2s - one ELC, one Aero - were bought used, and so I have considerably less invested in them than a single one of the very best out there. Leaving aside questions of accuracy, as garments they are both superb. For my money, the Aero goat is a "better" hide than the horse in my ELC or the simple reason that I prefer my leather looking a bit less worn than do some, and goat generally stays "newer" looking far longer. That's purely a personal choice, though. Interesting you mention the knits - I found exactly the same thing with mine. The ELC's are stretched out. Not to the extent where I would consider them needing replaced, but certainly not as durable as the Aero's. The difference in the Aero ones as against the originals is visually so minor that for a jacket I wear as regular civilian gear, I personally would prefer the more durable option. Different if I was putting together a re-enacting kit when of course I would want everything correct. Mind you, I can't see me ever going that route now, given that I'm bald, a little overweight, and in a few years time (I'm pushing forty now - the big four oh must be about eighteen months off) I'll be twice the age most of the kids who wore these originally were. I'm always amused at the idea of we middle aged men, about as far from historically accurate a wearer of A2s as it is possible to get, arguing over accuracy of our jackets... lol

Why is that any rejection of the abject hero worhip that is Aero on Fedora is "off topic"
or even worse... The deletion of the thread !!

(Bolded) This is truly a matter of opinion. Is it folks round here who "worship" Aero, r really is it your dislike o them is so extreme that anyone who does not share it is perceived by you as "worshipping" Aero?

The thread is about Aero being chosen as a supplier.
Are we not even allowed to ask why ????

I've not seen anyone object to that question at all. It seems your issue is more that you don't like their answers. :)

Common guys . Lighten up.

Oh, we're anything but "common" round here.... ;)

People are allowed to have opinions even if they do not agree with yours.

You, Sir, owe me a new irony meter, for you have just cause irreparable damage to my existing model.

Has anyone got a Aero A2 that is perfection to them here.

Has anyone claimed or hinted that they have? Really, I don't think anyone has the sort of blindly "Aero is best" opinion on this as you seem to be ascribing to all and sundry. :)

Has anyone got a Goodwear/Eastman etc either. I doubt it.

Goodwear - no, I wish I could afford one. I'm well aware they are the best, but I simply am not in a position where I can justify spending that on an A2. To be honest, even if I had that sort of money to drop on a jacket right now I'd much rather something of a civilian bent, but that's just me.

ELC - Yes, I have one.... If memory serves, it's a Roughwear contract. Seal horse, with red knits (if memory serves incorrect but put on at the request of the original buyer). I don't mind the knits being "wrong" - I just wanted a nice A2 with a seal body and red knits.

If I go A2 again (both of mine are seal, and I would quite like a russet, maybe in goat), unless I stumble over something nice used, I'd consider going with Bill Kelso, who seem to be held in high regard by many. I imagine I'd be looking at their house jacket, though, given the significant saving as against the specific contract models.

There is no such thing as a keeper these days

Not clear what you mean by this: are you saying that, in your opinion, none of the repro makers get it "right" - at least none enough to really hang on to?

Foster

One of the Regulars
Other than obsessively counting stitches, how would you ever know? Oh, right, you do obsessively count the stitches...

I work in the textile industry, I can't help it. My intention was to illustrate how minor the difference is. Oh, and by reducing the number of stitches per inch, it makes it easier to re-line and re-zip the garment, thereby extending its life span.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I work in the textile industry, I can't help it. My intention was to illustrate how minor the difference is. Oh, and by reducing the number of stitches per inch, it makes it easier to re-line and re-zip the garment, thereby extending its life span.

So are repros made with more or less stitches per inch compared to originals to extend their life spans? The odd thing is that, almost against my will, I've learned a lot about A-2s through this thread! :D

Foster

One of the Regulars
I don't know if it is intentionally done to extend the life span by making it easier to re-line and re-zip, but it does make it easier to accomplish. Ideally one will sew into the existing holes which are punched in the leather during its original construction/ sewing. Also, any garment (woven cloth or leather) the goal is for the seam to fail before the base fabric or leather does. Too many needle-punched holes in leather makes it perforated and easier to rip along the line.

I'm not sure how the "stitches per inch" came up as an important criteria for "authenticity" of a reproduction A2. I can see how it could be considered one factor among many that affects the longevity/strength of a garment. Fewer stitches....more prone to separate....but beyond a certain count would it really matter?

I thought it had more to do with how well they fit the design of the various contracts (back panel size, sleeve inset or not, arm hole size/sleeve taper, fit of the body, collar stand or not), epaulette / collar/ pocket shape/size, leather weight/color, stitch color, etc. I've never taken the stitch count into consideration.

All I care about when it comes to an A2....or any jacket for that matter, is how does it fit, feel and look? And....for an A2, do I think it has that "vibe".
For me, some manufacturers have all these factors...some don't.
I'm sure it is the same for other folks.
As the saying goes, it's "all good".
All the A2 manufacturers I'm familiar with tinker with their designs...continually working to "improve" them in whatever manner they think they need improvement.
I think thats great.

Last edited:

Foster

One of the Regulars
I'm regretting even bringing up the stitching, folks. I didn't intend to add to the sparks flying.

But, it is a visible detail on the garment. It is something I noticed, but I admit most would never take note of it. Having been trained to look, I cannot keep from looking at such things now.

Here are what I consider to be the criteria for evaluating the replicas:

Pattern (this influences the appearance, fit, etc)

Leather / fabric (quality of hides, consistency to originals, linings, knits, etc)

Hardware (zippers, snaps, throat hooks)

Construction (how well is it made? includes seams, errors if they exist, etc)

All of these influence the end result, maybe not visually, but in terms of construction and durability. Originals weren't necessarily designed to last for a decade, but the repros these days need to hold up due to the price and the fact that the paying customer is usually the end user (unlike the arrangement in WWII!).

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm regretting even bringing up the stitching, folks. I didn't intend to add to the sparks flying.

But, it is a visible detail on the garment. It is something I noticed, but I admit most would never take note of it. Having been trained to look, I cannot keep from looking at such things now.

Here are what I consider to be the criteria for evaluating the replicas:

Pattern (this influences the appearance, fit, etc)

Leather / fabric (quality of hides, consistency to originals, linings, knits, etc)

Hardware (zippers, snaps, throat hooks)

Construction (how well is it made? includes seams, errors if they exist, etc)

All of these influence the end result, maybe not visually, but in terms of construction and durability. Originals weren't necessarily designed to last for a decade, but the repros these days need to hold up due to the price and the fact that the paying customer is usually the end user (unlike the arrangement in WWII!).

The fact that some people seem to think that waist bands that stretch out more readily are somehow superior to those that don't because it's more 'accurate' - as appears to be the case with Eastman's - seems bizarre to me. If I pay upwards of £400 for a jacket, I don't want built-in obsolescence.

thor

Call Me a Cab
The fact that some people seem to think that waist bands that stretch out more readily are somehow superior to those that don't because it's more 'accurate' - as appears to be the case with Eastman's - seems bizarre to me. If I pay upwards of £400 for a jacket, I don't want built-in obsolescence.

Perfectly stated Sloan! I want the BEST A-2 (value-wise) my money can buy. Thicker hide. Stronger zipper. Tighter stitching. If it's hand made (instead of wartime assembly line produced) I want the hides matched and the seams straight and I want it built as close to perfect as possible. For me, my LW a-2 fits that criteria.

I haven't come across anybody who has that specific requirement, but I don't doubt there are those out there who think that.
I HAVE seen many comments from "Vintage Repro A2 aficionados" complaining about how thin the knits are on Eastman A2's....and it has been a feature I am not fond of on my Eastmans.

Back to the topic of Aero being chosen as the jacket maker for this movie.
I suspect that there are several factors involved in how a movie producer/costume designer choses an outside clothing manufacturer.
How the item looks on screen, cost, availability (will it take 2 years to get the jackets, or 6 weeks?) ability to produce multiple copies of jackets for stunt personel/back up. "Stitch by stitch" (hate to use that term now) authenticity I suspect is not as high a priority.
Aero seems like a logical choice.

Re; the issue of "who makes the most authentic repro A2" (after all, that does seem to be what most of the arguing is about)....those of you who have not had the opportunity to sample what some of todays manufacturers are offering are at a disadvantage.
Many folks who have had that opportunity will tell you there are definite differences out there...and they have their preferences.
Some names pop up more frequently than others.
It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24