Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero type D-1

tudo

New in Town
Here's some pic's of my new redskin D-1.
DSC00157_2.jpg

DSC00151_2.jpg

DSC00149_2.jpg

DSC00150_2.jpg

Its sooo lovely and warm.

tudo

New in Town
Thanks for your comments .Will at Aero was brilliant, I told him my height and dimensions and he gave me some excellent advice on the sizing details(I'm not what you call a giant of a man). I was very pleased with the outcome.:) :)

miles_archer

Familiar Face
Great looking Jacket! I am curious, when did you place your order. As I have said in other threads I ordered an Aero B-3 December 2 and it has yet to be made. Thanks.

tudo

New in Town
Miles it took about 6-7 weeks to arrive.
John it is more like half an inch. I have Eastman C-3 Vest that is 1/4 of an inch and the type D-1 fleece is easily twice as thick.

CBI

One Too Many
Great jacket!!!! Congrats to you and Aero. It never gets cold enough here for this kind of jacket. Damn!!!!

John Lever

One Too Many
tudo said:
Miles it took about 6-7 weeks to arrive.
John it is more like half an inch. I have Eastman C-3 Vest that is 1/4 of an inch and the type D-1 fleece is easily twice as thick.
That's interesting, I allays thought it should be the same ?

Edward

Bartender
Great looking jacket! I have to admit, I'm surprised at how snug the fit is - I had the impression the D1 was a less fitted jacket design than its closest relative, the B6. It's like a little minime B3! I have half an eye on the Aero Redskin B6 (for when I next break a bank...), though i think I probably would have it modded slightly by getting them to add zips to the pockets a la the D1. Only limitation I find with the B3 is the lack of pockets...

tudo

New in Town
Thanks, greyhound 68, would love to see the pics of yours when it arrives.
John & Edward,I believe the Eastman is a more authentic type D-1; but they do not do custom sizes and being quite short and skinny in the middle;the Eastmans would of probably look like a tent on me :)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
A favour...

I wonder if you would do me a favour. I am making a copy of the 1937 pattern D-1 (which this Aero is) and I'm having problems with the pattern for the collar as I don't have an original to base it on.

Would you examine the points of the collar and tell me how the points are formed at the back, please? Are they pinched and hand-stitched to form a point before the seams on the long and short edges are sewn?

I made a B-3 some time ago which turned out well, but the collar point is squarer and I could see how it was done on the original I copied.

Any chance of a description or a close-up photograph of the back of one of the collar points, please?

tudo

New in Town
H.Johnson,sorry but I tried to take photos ,but my camera is not good enough for real close-ups.The collar looks and feels to be folded over and stitched into a point before the seams are finished, as you suggested.I hope this helps:)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
It does, thanks. I get a good idea from your description. What I will now do is cut a pattern from craft paper and fold and stitch it before making the seams. I can try out several alternative shapes. That's better than wasting red sheepskin, which I'm short of. I'll let you know if it works...

FW190

New in Town
Beautiful jacket............The fleece does look awfully thick for a D-1, though. Might just be the picture. My Eastman D-1 has 1/4 inch fleece, which is 1/2 of the B-3. I thought the D-1 originally had this thinner fleece.....maybe not. I also have an Aero B-6 which also has the 1/4" fleece. By the way.....what size is your D-1?........................ Outstanding Redskin!

tudo

New in Town
I think it is thicker than the original spec. type D-1
But Aero do say their shearling is closer to 1/2 inch.(which it easily is ,if not slightly more).
It is a size 40

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
hey Tudo...

tudo said:
I think it is thicker than the original spec. type D-1
But Aero do say their shearling is closer to 1/2 inch.(which it easily is ,if not slightly more).
It is a size 40

Could you give me a pit to pit, shoulder to shoulder, sleeve length, and length of jacket measurements to give a better understanding of the size 40 from Aero? Did you have it custom fit to you by modifying anything or is it a standard size 40? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Bruce

tudo

New in Town
Bruce, it was custom fit .I'm only 5'6" and abit with a 30" waist.I told Will at Aero and he reccommended the arm length etc.
pit to pit = 23.5"
shoulder to shoulder = 20"
sleeve length = 24.5"
back length = 25.5"
Hope this is useful.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats