Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero v Eastman A2s: which leather more characterful?

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
A2 enthusiasts, wanted to pick your brains here. I have an Aero A2 in seal brown jerky horsehide. Reason for my post is that I wandered into Son of the Stag, a great retro clothing store in London, today and tried on some of their Eastman A2s. I was struck by how lovely the leather was, with really prominent grain, a nice rough texture and, in general, heaps of character. By contrast, my Aero feels rather smooth and mall-jacket-like. I'd like to know from people who've owned an Aero in seal jerky horse for a few years how it ages. Does it start to get the great character you get from, say, front quarter horsehide?

Two cents from all quarters welcome.

SJ

crk

New in Town
I've had a seal jerk aero a-2 for 3 years now. In my opinion aero leather quality is poor. The jacket looks more worn out then broken in considering how little I've worn it. I would recommend eastman.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps the revamped Aero A-2's that they've been tweaking will be both more authentic and more characterful...and without too large a jump in price!

morrison2951

Practically Family
Does Vanson have an A-2 in their line up? I'm really impressed with the character of their leather on my Enfield. Not to mention the quality of the stitching.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Had a recent (cicra 2010) Aero Seal jerky 15142 for a few years. No HWT or anything, but I did spend a lot of TV time working on it with my hands and wearing it around after getting wet in the rain etc. It did develop more character and the top layer did begin to rub off to reveal the reddy under-layers... Nice.
Still not anything like ELCs warehorse hide, or the samples I've received from GW and BK...

Foster

One of the Regulars
I had a 2007-2008 Aero in russet jerky horsehide (Fanch owns it now) but I never wore it enough to properly break it in.
Last summer I bought an Eastman A2 in seal brown Warhorse and it has nice grain. I like the grain of the ELC one better, but this is personal preference. The ELC one is taking much longer to begin to show edge wear than the Aero one. The Aero edge wear began to show much earlier.

Edward

Bartender
Horses for courses, it seems to me. Can't comment from direct personal experience on Aero's A2s in horse (though I liked the look of those I've seen on other folks), as my Aero A2 is goat... which tbh I far and away prefer over my horse Eastman Roughwear. The latter really needs me to get around to treating it with something, as it shows a lot more wear than I like in an A2. The goat on the Aero still looks newish, which in that design of jacket I much prefer. A few areas where the seal covering has very subtly worn to a reddish hue underneath, but no spots where it has worn the colour thin, more towards the natural wear. How much of this has to do with how they are treated as opposed to the hide type I don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo