Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero wool and leather Halfbelt

I haven’t seen much information or many of these posted over the years. I suppose the style is a bit polarizing in that you either love or hate it. My boredom with leather jackets is at an apex and I love a good wool Halfbelt, so I took the plunge. Finding a vintage original in my size is, for all intents and purposes, impossible. Despite their popularity “back in the day” it seems few survived and fewer still in my size range.

Aero did a wonderful job is sourcing this wool. It’s thick and rough. I’d describe it as almost like burlap in texture. Hard to capture this in a pic. It’s a stout wool and it’s firm to the touch.
The leather bits are green Kelpie, which appears black but you can see the mossy undertones on the zipper pull. Makes me think using the rough out side of this leather for one of these would be cool. I look forward to those greens/browns making it to the surface.

I selected a universal brass main zip, lined the body in black corduroy, drill in sleeves and had a standard w/storm cuff config at the sleeve end. The sleeves are roomier than I’d imagined and if I had it to do over again, I would’ve gone corduroy throughout the entire jacket. I also ditched the leather sleeves and collar and opted for more wool.

Fit feels very much like a 50’s HB, though I requested a shorter back with a 1.5” front drop. I finally figured out how to spec the right length of an Aero…only took 10 years :p The split seam back is actually far more functional than I would have guessed. Really helps with forward reach. The taper from the pits to the HB also feels more severe. I love the fit.

Overall I’m delighted with it. Aero punched this out super quickly after a few communication delays. In fact, once all was confirmed, I had the jacket within two weeks! I’m really in love with it and suspect it will be a daily driver for the colder months here in Chicago.
Some pics:
4FF49B7D-6238-497A-8CA4-5CFE856914CA.jpeg
37A8A61F-A2EC-4AFF-A88C-70734056AF32.jpeg
7DE0EA32-ACCC-4E0B-83CA-2C4C40A85341.jpeg
DD5B780E-84FF-472F-A4A4-CBCD010D0864.jpeg
17E27EA0-9769-488E-87C2-2DF0E850A57D.jpeg
3F72F9F2-F123-43D0-AD3B-AF3704AEB257.jpeg
0DC379DD-5A14-453F-B33C-6D1C11F2674B.jpeg

63665B73-E021-4852-AF7B-2FD3C8A03BFD.jpeg

Now I just need to wait until November to wear it!

I love it. The fit is very close to this 40s Bon Marché, which has a great silhouette with its wide chest and generous upper sleeves.

Does this jacket re-open the door to repro jackets? A full leather one in Jerky horsehide? :D

View attachment 435490
It’s funny you mentioned that b/c it does feel almost exactly like the Bon. Even the collar on the Aero has a little whiff of the Bon.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven’t seen much information or many of these posted over the years. I suppose the style is a bit polarizing in that you either love or hate it. My boredom with leather jackets is at an apex and I love a good wool Halfbelt, so I took the plunge. Finding a vintage original in my size is, for all intents and purposes, impossible. Despite their popularity “back in the day” it seems few survived and fewer still in my size range.

Aero did a wonderful job is sourcing this wool. It’s thick and rough. I’d describe it as almost like burlap in texture. Hard to capture this in a pic. It’s a stout wool and it’s firm to the touch.
The leather bits are green Kelpie, which appears black but you can see the mossy undertones on the zipper pull. Makes me think using the rough out side of this leather for one of these would be cool. I look forward to those greens/browns making it to the surface.

I selected a universal brass main zip, lined the body in black corduroy, drill in sleeves and had a standard w/storm cuff config at the sleeve end. The sleeves are roomier than I’d imagined and if I had it to do over again, I would’ve gone corduroy throughout the entire jacket. I also ditched the leather sleeves and collar and opted for more wool.

Fit feels very much like a 50’s HB, though I requested a shorter back with a 1.5” front drop. I finally figured out how to spec the right length of an Aero…only took 10 years :p The split seam back is actually far more functional than I would have guessed. Really helps with forward reach. The taper from the pits to the HB also feels more severe. I love the fit.

Overall I’m delighted with it. Aero punched this out super quickly after a few communication delays. In fact, once all was confirmed, I had the jacket within two weeks! I’m really in love with it and suspect it will be a daily driver for the colder months here in Chicago.
Some pics:
View attachment 435477 View attachment 435476 View attachment 435478 View attachment 435480 View attachment 435479 View attachment 435481 View attachment 435482
View attachment 435483
Looks good on you.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Very nice result. Good write-up too!

You’re right, it’s love and hate, and while I’ve tried to fall in love more than once, it hasn’t happened yet. That said, the wool part looks super cool, and I can almost see a green „Waterfront“ in my future…

Perfect fit, as usual.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up

Some pics:
View attachment 435477 View attachment 435476 View attachment 435478 View attachment 435480 View attachment 435479 View attachment 435481 View attachment 435482
View attachment 435483

I haven't seen many people wearing these either.

Nothing against the jacket, but I don't think this is my style. I like a jacket to be all wool, or all leather, on the outside. There's very few two-tone looks that do it for me, and I'm not sure why that is.

For me, a wool could have leather reinforcements, like elbow patches, or other key stress or wear points, such as pocket openings or button holes. But for some reason I'm just not crazy about the look when it's a panel or two that's been decided to be leather instead of wool.

I also think that, for the most part, the plaid wools look best as linings, and I'd prefer solids on the outside. When I do like plaid on the outside of a jacket, it would be a more subdued color, muted or "ancient" tartans, where the colors are a more subtle blend, or variations of a single color.

I wonder, for a jacket like yours, is there wool under the leather panels? And if not, what does that do to the warmth of the jacket? I would think it would create cold patches if it were just leather, with no wool underneath it. And of course, where there's leather over the wool, the jacket will be more windproof. Heavy wool tends to be reasonably water and wind resistant as it is, and can be fine as an outer shell, of course. But I'm left wondering if the leather and wool mix is mainly for style, or if there's functional aspects to it as well.

I haven't seen many people wearing these either.

Nothing against the jacket, but I don't think this is my style. I like a jacket to be all wool, or all leather, on the outside. There's very few two-tone looks that do it for me, and I'm not sure why that is.

For me, a wool could have leather reinforcements, like elbow patches, or other key stress or wear points, such as pocket openings or button holes. But for some reason I'm just not crazy about the look when it's a panel or two that's been decided to be leather instead of wool.

I also think that, for the most part, the plaid wools look best as linings, and I'd prefer solids on the outside. When I do like plaid on the outside of a jacket, it would be a more subdued color, muted or "ancient" tartans, where the colors are a more subtle blend, or variations of a single color.

I wonder, for a jacket like yours, is there wool under the leather panels? And if not, what does that do to the warmth of the jacket? I would think it would create cold patches if it were just leather, with no wool underneath it. And of course, where there's leather over the wool, the jacket will be more windproof. Heavy wool tends to be reasonably water and wind resistant as it is, and can be fine as an outer shell, of course. But I'm left wondering if the leather and wool mix is mainly for style, or if there's functional aspects to it as well.
There is not any wool under the leather but since it’s lined in corduroy, it’s no different than a leather jacket lined in corduroy at the front and back yoke.

It’s funny b/c I really dislike those tartan liners in leather jackets. I’ve always gone with solid drab or corduroy. Why I like loud plaids as the exterior is something of a mystery but I do know I’ll never have to worry about showing up and seeing someone in the same jacket. LOL. That said I seldom like multi-colored plaids. The Christmas Halfbelt might be the only exception.

I’m curious about how this one will handle the cold too. The others I have do a good job and I see no reason why this one wouldn’t but the first cloudy, 10 degree day with a stiff breeze will answer the question in a matter of minutes! For ultimate warmth, Aeros nylon quilt would probably be best. I’d think with my tweed vest and a thick button down I’ll be OK in all but the worst a Chicago winter has to offer.

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
You have a great looking jacket! You also engineered a perfect fit, as always.

This design also inspired me to look into leather as an option for restoring a vintage Filson wool jacket that I found. The original sleeve ends are pretty chewed up and leather replacements are an interesting option.

Damon141

Practically Family
This looks great. Makes me think of camping for some reason, looks like a great jacket to sit around a campfire with friends and family

They mirrored the sides very neatly! Fits you great, as per usual. I'm not a fan of plaid nor of jackets that aren't leather - As bored as I too have become with them but I am fully aware there's no going back - but it looks just fine. I'd give it a go. Seems sturdy, too and hopefully, warmer than its leather brethren. Waiting's gonna be the hardest part... I too gotta wait to even give the Mosquito a decent chance and it's annoying.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I really appreciate the matching they did with the wool.
It always drives me mad when the patterns on the fabric are not kept even/continous and they 100% nailed this one.
You can see they spent the time to do it right.

Also a great call getting rid of the leather sleeves and collar, it look smuch better like that.

I really appreciate the matching they did with the wool.
It always drives me mad when the patterns on the fabric are not kept even/continous and they 100% nailed this one.
You can see they spent the time to do it right.

Also a great call getting rid of the leather sleeves and collar, it look smuch better like that.

I'm willing to bet they learned how to do this the hard way, after getting flooded with the returns 'cause the pattern wasn't perfectly aligned. I understand that, too, as I would've been slightly annoyed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ