Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero worth the wait? Horsehide shootout; Aero vs. Schott

Aero vs. Schott

• Schott 618HH

• CXFQHH Aero Indian Ranger

Results are only viewable after voting.
Around the deltoid area, I am not sure why but I feel some pressure like its wanting me to pull my shoulders back (prolly a good thing) but then the front of the jacket seems tight and its probably because its a riding jacket and is meant for your arms to be forward and scapula/lats relaxed.

Alright, so I guessed right, just wasn't 100% sure so didn't want to rush with

Short answer - It won't become considerably more comfortable, it won't stretch and 42 won't improve how the jacket feels - or rather, it might just do the opposite.

What's pushing into your shoulders are the sleeve seams. Your Sedici Gabriel is an actual riding jacket which has sleeve openings rotated toward the front than this Schott, which is why the jacket feels restrictive around the shoulders / biceps. This also gives you more chest room when leaning forward, making the jacket feel comfortable in the chest. Sadly, sizing up won't have any effect on any of it and in fact, further apart the shoulder seams, more constrictive the jacket feels.

Try doing this; While wearing the jacket, grab the top (or where the deltoid would be) of the shoulder area and bunch it up all the way toward the collar and try moving your arm. You should notice how much more comfortable the jacket will feel and how improved your reach will be. That ought to tell you enough about the uselessness of the shoulder width measurement.

Crappy drawing of what I mean by sleeve openings and what I believe is happening with your 618.

New-Canvas.jpg

But anyway, it's an issue with the pattern and in part with our posture but sadly, it has nothing to do with size. If you find it really annoying, maybe it'd be better to try for another jacket as regardless of how stiff any leather is, it should NEVER EVER feel restricting. It's literally like medieval armor! You ought to have a full range of comfortable motion no matter what.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
Alright, so I guessed right, just wasn't 100% sure so didn't want to rush with

Short answer - It won't become considerably more comfortable, it won't stretch and 42 won't improve how the jacket feels - or rather, it might just do the opposite.

What's pushing into your shoulders are the sleeve seams. Your Sedici Gabriel is an actual riding jacket which has sleeve openings rotated toward the front than this Schott, which is why the jacket feels restrictive around the shoulders / biceps. This also gives you more chest room when leaning forward, making the jacket feel comfortable in the chest. Sadly, sizing up won't have any effect on any of it and in fact, further apart the shoulder seams, more constrictive the jacket feels.

Try doing this; While wearing the jacket, grab the top (or where the deltoid would be) of the shoulder area and bunch it up all the way toward the collar and try moving your arm. You should notice how much more comfortable the jacket will feel and how improved your reach will be. That ought to tell you enough about the uselessness of the shoulder width measurement.

Crappy drawing of what I mean by sleeve openings and what I believe is happening with your 618.

New-Canvas.jpg

But anyway, it's an issue with the pattern and in part with our posture but sadly, it has nothing to do with size. If you find it really annoying, maybe it'd be better to try for another jacket as regardless of how stiff any leather is, it should NEVER EVER feel restricting. It's literally like medieval armor! You ought to have a full range of comfortable motion no matter what.

So its the shape of the armholes? And damn. Lets see if I can get used to this, its not super uncomfortable, I do feel its there lol

And damn! That response is on another level lol THANK YOU

EDIT: Just tried it, can barely move my opposite arm to the delt and yes it actually feels good. I feel like they need to improve the pattern for the front, give it some room.

I dont feel it when wearing just a shirt even zipped, but with a hoodie, I can feel it when zipped up.

So its the shape of the armholes? And damn. Lets see if I can get used to this, its not super uncomfortable, I do feel its there lol

And damn! That response is on another level lol THANK YOU

Position of the armholes but basically, yeah. It's a huge factor. That's why people oversize with their leather jackets, blaming size for the issue when it's not. I'm tellin' you, think armor! :D

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Looks good to me via the photos. Wear it at the Gym as you do your work outs for the next week or so, that will indeed help the break-in. Body heat will indeed slightly soften and make the Horsehide more pliable. I know that CXL FQHH is very sensitive to heat - or the lack thereof. Never tried a Schott Horsehide jacket so really cannot comment on it's properties. But it sure looks good on you...

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
Weird part is, there is A LOT of room in the belly area. Wonder if I can get this tailored? Thinking remove the fluff from the liner and replace the liner, and black hardware... hmm also wondering how this will fare once I stat juicing lol just trying to move up a shirt size

IMG-6251.jpg

Looks good to me via the photos. Wear it at the Gym as you do your work outs for the next week or so, that will indeed help the break-in.

LMAO I might do that and thanks

roadking04

Practically Family
I bought a new 618hh around september. It was my second 618hh. It was a lot stiffer than my previous one. It took considerable more time to break in. It is finally a bit softer and more manageable now. Your jacket looks good, I think you will be fine. Give it some time, and you will start to enjoy it. It will be a chore for the near future..

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
Ok; Would Vanson's CHPQ be better? How would their Steer XL Patina?

I really like Schott because its Horsehide. And if I am buying a Double Rider I want it to be Schott. But in terms of comfort.... eh, the pattern as Monitor says, needs a better fit.

The collars of double riders and such fits me great because I have a round-ish face, which is why I am not too keen into getting a Cafe Racer type of Jacket. But it appears CHPQ might be a good middle ground.

CHPQ Vanson.jpg

My intent for the jacket is a fashion jacket first, and a moto jacket second.

Weird part is, there is A LOT of room in the belly area. Wonder if I can get this tailored? Thinking remove the fluff from the liner and replace the liner, and black hardware... hmm also wondering how this will fare once I stat juicing lol just trying to move up a shirt size

Schott does that, yeah... But I'm generally against altering a finished jacket. Too many things to go wrong and you can't even resell it afterwards. I've seen some fantastic looking altered Schott jackets, though. Dunno, up to you but I'd rather you get something else if it bothers you. It'll just keep on nagging on you.

But don't rely on jacket feeling more comfortable with wear. Stuff needs to feel great right away.

Vanson will be more comfortable for sure, I don't think there's anyone here who won't agree.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 285297

LMAO I might do that and thanks

That's not weird, that's Schott, they design their jackets for the beer belly crowd.

And Yes, a Vanson will be much better, and cheaper!
Vanson are IMO some of the best US made riding jackets.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
Is the CHPQ fashionable/stylish though? Or too flamboyant?

I dont know how this jacket will look on my because i have a big ol' head and a round-ish face, and that dont usually look good with a small cafe racer style collar.

The double rider works for me even the H&M ones since the big collar accentuates my shoulders and makes my head look smaller than it is.

Is the CHPQ fashionable/stylish though? Or too flamboyant?

I dont know how this jacket will look on my because i have a big ol' head and a round-ish face, and that dont usually look good with a small cafe racer style collar.

I think that's a silly superstition.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many

I really like Schott because its Horsehide. And if I am buying a Double Rider I want it to be Schott. But in terms of comfort.... eh, the pattern as Monitor says, needs a better fit.

The collars of double riders and such fits me great because I have a round-ish face, which is why I am not too keen into getting a Cafe Racer type of Jacket. But it appears CHPQ might be a good middle ground.

View attachment 285419

I own / have owned all of these makers. IMO, since you're looking for fashion first, I would say Schott. Just find the size/pattern that fits you. However, if you said riding first, clearly Vanson patterns/materials/construction would be my choice. To me, Aero is in an interesting niche for historical accuracy of 1930s-50's patterns and styles. But the materials are usually cumbersome and the patterns not that great for range of motion. Almost like new Vanson stiff, but without their pattern knowledge of what works on the bike. I still own a couple from all makers and they each have their purpose. Also, have owned the Chopper and just really didn't like it for casual fashion wear. A bit too far out of the norm for me so I passed it on. I much prefer the regular cross zip collar setup for casual wear and the dual bottom hem buckles gave it too much visual weight at the bottom for me. On the bike it was fine though.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
How about this... any advantage of the Horsehide vs the Steerhide? As far as how it patinas and which would look better.

If the Vanson Chopper came in Horsehide I wouldve copped it before the Schott. But the price being as close to each other, I obviously went with Schott... until I tried it on lol

I think I got the FDL bug. Because I am thinking of just keeping the Schott much like Bilbo saying "why shoudlnt I keep it) and copping the Vanson anyways. Which is NOT the intent of why I am overthinking this (having THE best jacket and keeping it forever)

dannyk

One Too Many
How about this... any advantage of the Horsehide vs the Steerhide? As far as how it patinas and which would look better.

If the Vanson Chopper came in Horsehide I wouldve copped it before the Schott. But the price being as close to each other, I obviously went with Schott... until I tried it on lol

I think I got the FDL bug. Because I am thinking of just keeping the Schott much like Bilbo saying "why shoudlnt I keep it) and copping the Vanson anyways. Which is NOT the intent of why I am overthinking this (having THE best jacket and keeping it forever)
Horse is fun because of its historical accuracy. It has a tighter fiber weave which helps just a bit on water resistance. But anyone who says it’s different really is wrong. Anyone who’s been around here long enough can tell you that. Honestly it’s more about how it’s tanned and finished. And both tanning and finish can be done to either horse or steer. At high end level you wouldn’t even be able to tell the difference in the hide. Steer often comes a bit thicker but thick horse exists Vanson’s rare horses are beefy and Lost Worlds offers thick horse. Other than for historical purposes horse isn’t much different. It’s all tanning process and finish that makes the difference.

Edward

Bartender
On the historical front, let's also not forget that for years people sneered at the idea of an A2 made in steer (rather than horse or goat) - until Gary Eastman published the results of his research which suggested a significant proportion of wartime A2s were steer.

@blobsterroll Regardless, this also means that Aero's jacket would feel 10x more restrictive. I've had that one as well, literally couldn't reach for the handlebars. Very nice jacket but definitely not what I'd wear on a bike - Tho I see a lot of people do so I dunno, maybe it's just me.

A lot depends on your bike's riding position too; what feels great in a racing bike crouch might be different on a Bonnie or a Harley - and a Harley with ape-hangers will be different again.

That's not weird, that's Schott, they design their jackets for the beer belly crowd.

And Yes, a Vanson will be much better, and cheaper!
Vanson are IMO some of the best US made riding jackets.

Back when Vanson were the same price in the UK as a Schott, I'd have gone Vanson without a second thought. Now they're the same price it seems a no-brainer. Not all the Vansons I like have armour, but I'd still trust them over an unarmoured Schott in a spill.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 285419

I also am in the larger head/rounder face club and I am not personally a fan of the "cafe racer collar on a cross-zip" jackets. Langlitz make a similar version. Several folks here have them and love them - that's fine, just not my preferance.

*Be careful* -- The FL effect is starting to affect you here sir! :)

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
Ok. What is your opinion on Vanson Competition weight? Does it age well?

I know I am asking a lot but thats because I can only have one lol

Ok. What is your opinion on Vanson Competition weight? Does it age well?

I know I am asking a lot but thats because I can only have one lol

All good! It's why we're here.

It used to. Age well. New Comp. weight they've switched to is quality stuff, tough, sturdy, that sorta thing but not as nice as their old leather. However, it shouldn't be falling behind Schott significantly. You'll get a nice jacket for sure. I mean, I don't see what'd make you feel it's in any way bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ