Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aftershave : That nostalgic true masculine smell!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
So, I just picked up a bottle of Old Spice aftershave. It was only logical, as I already use Old Spice deodorant and body wash. So I have this question. How exactly does one use aftershave as opposed to cologne (not that I usually use that either)?

JimWagner

Practically Family
So, I just picked up a bottle of Old Spice aftershave. It was only logical, as I already use Old Spice deodorant and body wash. So I have this question. How exactly does one use aftershave as opposed to cologne (not that I usually use that either)?

Just put it on your face after you shave. The parts that you shave, that is. It'll sting for a moment.

JWS34

New in Town
Hello all, I like Pinaud's Clubman and Old Spice these days. I was more easily swayed by advertising 20 years ago and still have many other brands around, but find myself feeling a draw to what seems solid and able to cross generations. I have also purchased some Ogalala Bay Rum. I want to pick up some other brands for a comparison. Has anyone had any experience with this company? It arrived in glass bottles with rubber and wire caps and many samples of their other products.

Norumbega

One of the Regulars
Very fond memories of Bay Rum. It's still applied, along with a dusting talc, at the barber shop I go to. I have found an intriguing source for some fragrances I wish to gamble with.....among them are a bay rum. I stumbled on them purely by chance one evening while surfing.
The company is D.H. Harris & Co. Ltd since 1790. They offer an interesting array of products, many of which I found I can order through Amazon.
As for a cologne sampling, there's:
-Marlborough a subtle blend of woods including cedar and sandalwood.
-Albany, a fusion of mellow aromatic essences, blended to give a lasting but not over-powerful fragrance. Spicy hints of lavender, lime and orange with a hint of bergamot and musk result in a warm, but nevertheless refreshing aroma.
-Mayfair, a rich floral fragrance with impressions of jasmin, rose, geranium and orange blossom on a blend of base notes including sandalwood, vanilla and musk. The result is a traditionally English fragrance, subtle yet lasting.
-Bay Rum's by Taylor of Old Bond & Geo F Trumper.

The website is a cornucopia of male & female care products. You really should give it the once over. I'll be shopping. http://www.shoplondons.com/

grundie

One of the Regulars
My favourite is Trumpers Sandalwood, sadly my wife hates it with a passion.

Seeing as I can't wear Sandalwood all that often I usually go with one of my next two favourites, Dalvey Vitae (woody) or Chanel Allure Homme (warm and sexy, so the label says).

The Chanel cologne was present from my wife. I like it, even if the marketing is ridiculosly pretentius.

JOHN TITCOMBE

New in Town
Zizanie de Fragonard is a unique fragrance from France,which has been around for years.Difficult to describe the fragrance,but it's scent is somewhat mesmerizing.Does not smell like any other scent.That,in itself,is refreshing! John Titcombe.

DesertDan

One Too Many
Old Spice Original - though it seems to me that the formulation has changed somewhat. I bought a new bottle awhile back and the scent doesn't seem as "rich" (for lack of a better word) has anyone else noticed this?

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Very fond memories of Bay Rum. It's still applied, along with a dusting talc, at the barber shop I go to. I have found an intriguing source for some fragrances I wish to gamble with.....among them are a bay rum. I stumbled on them purely by chance one evening while surfing.
The company is D.H. Harris & Co. Ltd since 1790. They offer an interesting array of products, many of which I found I can order through Amazon.
As for a cologne sampling, there's:
-Marlborough a subtle blend of woods including cedar and sandalwood.
-Albany, a fusion of mellow aromatic essences, blended to give a lasting but not over-powerful fragrance. Spicy hints of lavender, lime and orange with a hint of bergamot and musk result in a warm, but nevertheless refreshing aroma.
-Mayfair, a rich floral fragrance with impressions of jasmin, rose, geranium and orange blossom on a blend of base notes including sandalwood, vanilla and musk. The result is a traditionally English fragrance, subtle yet lasting.
-Bay Rum's by Taylor of Old Bond & Geo F Trumper.

The website is a cornucopia of male & female care products. You really should give it the once over. I'll be shopping. http://www.shoplondons.com/

D.R. Harris makes some great products (like their "Pick-Me-Up" tonic--read hangover cure--that is 80 proof!) and i think that their Bay Rum is some of the best -- they are well known for their Arlington aftershave, too. Great site--thanks for sharing.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Fall makes me reach for Guerlain's Habit Rouge for some reason. Created in 1965, it is not truly vintage, but it has a classic old school leathery/vanilla/citrus vibe that seems right for this time of year. Other favorites this season are Knize Ten Golden (leather, leather and leather), 1934's Dunhill for men (clary sage, rose and leather) and Penhaligan's Endymion (incense, coffee and leather). Leather seems to be a theme here......

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
Old Spice Original - though it seems to me that the formulation has changed somewhat. I bought a new bottle awhile back and the scent doesn't seem as "rich" (for lack of a better word) has anyone else noticed this?

This is what I use, and have for years. I've recently added Vitalis or Groom and Clean for the hair, too. I haven't noticed a change in scent for the Old Spice, though...

I go through St. Johns Bay Rum like cheap beer :)
Wife just got me another 8oz.
I use the Old Spice classic body wah in the shower. Love the combo.
My best find was gel anti-perspirant that is unscented. Now I don't have battling arm pits to contend with.

Rider

Familiar Face
I have a rotation but my favorites in no particular order are:

Pinaud Bay Rum
Aqua Velva
English Leather

Also in the cabinet are:
Old Spice
Poraso
Tabac

Forum statistics

Threads