Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Age difference between a man and a woman......

epr25

Practically Family
I don't think it really matters. If you are compatable then go for it. My husband to be is 40 and I am 29. I never really even thing about it. Until he mentions things that happened to him in high school when I was in grade school. Funny we have fun with it. He had a child (granted he unintentionally got started early) when I was 8. lol

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I had forgotten until now that I had been the older woman once (I must have blocked it out, lol). I was a junior in college and I was dating a junior in high school. :rolleyes: I was 19 or 20 and he was 16. I know, I know, cradle robber, sheesh.

I now vividly remember him taking me to his homecoming dance; he was the envy of all his friends, lol!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
GoldLeaf said:
Didn't she have like, 20 husbands? lol Which one?
Larry Fortensky was twenty years her junior.

liz.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
Gingerella72 said:
I had forgotten until now that I had been the older woman once (I must have blocked it out, lol). I was a junior in college and I was dating a junior in high school. :rolleyes: I was 19 or 20 and he was 16. I know, I know, cradle robber, sheesh.

I now vividly remember him taking me to his homecoming dance; he was the envy of all his friends, lol!
Four years is nothing at those ages.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jovan said:
Four years is nothing at those ages.
Yet in most states the adult can be prosecuted for statutory rape [huh] Assuming that there was some sexual activity

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
pennycarrol said:
Sorry but I don't have any exemple about women older than their husband in the 30's and 40's (I mean movie stars, well known people......)!!
Norma Shearer's second husband (not an actor, I believe a skiing instructor) was considerably younger.

Not marriage of course - or even a real relationship - but Jean Arthur (b. 1900 and a star well back into silent days) was usually paired with a romantic lead younger than she (notably Gary Cooper, b. 1904, and Jimmy Stewart, b. 1908).

Sunset Boulevard didn't do a whole lot of good for public perception of the OW/YM pairing. The stereotype is that the woman is a diva and the man a boytoy or hanger-on, and that the relationship may not even be physical.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I've always dated men around my age & younger. I prefer my own generation. I like boys who were raised with girls who were allowed to wear jeans to school, and saw their mothers going to work, and doing things for themselves. Men who aren't afraid of women/feminists. I want to be treated like a person, I don't want to be on a pedestal, and I don't want to be talked down to, both of which seem to be typical "older man" behaviors. Some "older men" act like women are from another planet--like we have this weird brain, and weird body, and they can't make either happy.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
LadyDeWinter said:
Isn't a good example for an older woman and a younger man Liz Taylor. I thing she had a husband who was lot younger then her.

ACTUALLY, a few years back Liz Taylor was asked why she went from Older Men to YoungerMen.
She replied she hadnt changed her preference.
The men stayed the same & she got older.
So when she was a teen, she liked a man about 40 & when she became a senior citizen, she was still marrying men about that age. Thats her type.

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Miss Brill said:
I like boys who were raised with girls who were allowed to wear jeans to school, and saw their mothers going to work, and doing things for themselves. Men who aren't afraid of women/feminists.

Hmm, logically this is how things should work, men of a modern mindset should embrace the modern woman but in my experience with men my age (20) being modern and respecting women means sleeping with as many girls as possible or perpetuating the chauvinistic behavior demonstrated by their fathers. But I think a lot of this behavior continues because women allow it, I don't think that we are as advanced as we'd like to think, but that is just speaking from my own experience.

Personally I can't say whether I prefer older or younger men seeing as I take what comes along, which is currently nothing, and in the past has been guys around my own age. Age isn't something I think too much about when I am considering a potential date but I am a bit uncomfortable with the idea of dating a man my father's age or older. At this point I'm not looking for a specific age nor do I think that age will ever make it into my tiny list of qualities I require in a man.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
ClaraB said:
Hmm, logically this is how things should work, men of a modern mindset should embrace the modern woman but in my experience with men my age (20) being modern and respecting women means sleeping with as many girls as possible or perpetuating the chauvinistic behavior demonstrated by their fathers. But I think a lot of this behavior continues because women allow it, I don't think that we are as advanced as we'd like to think, but that is just speaking from my own experience.

Well, I'm 35, so the men my age (and a bit younger) are very different than 20 year olds. I did date a 20 year old a couple years back :eek: and, yes, he was mostly interested in sex, which is ok, if you like that sort of thing.

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Miss Brill said:
Well, I'm 35, so the men my age (and a bit younger) are very different than 20 year olds. I did date a 20 year old a couple years back :eek: and, yes, he was mostly interested in sex, which is ok, if you like that sort of thing.
Its pretty hard for me to imagine these guys evolving that much in 15 years but hey I guess anything is possible :)

Miss Brill

One Too Many
ClaraB said:
Its pretty hard for me to imagine these guys evolving that much in 15 years but hey I guess anything is possible :)

Oh, there are plenty of 30+ y/o dogs running around. Some people have bad characters naturally & nothing, not even age, will improve them. 15 years is a long time, I mean, look at how many people get married at 18 & are divorced by 35, the person you are at 18 is not the finished product, it is the start & who you end up as at 35 can be totally different. I know when I was 20 I thought I had seen & done it all, and was old. I was all wrong.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
The older I get, the younger the boyfriends....

But I'm sticking with the one I've got!

I didn't realise he was almost five years younger than me when we met and first started going out. He is very mature and I don't think about the difference now. It doesn't make any difference to us. I think it isn't about age, but about how mature each person is and where they are at in life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart