Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Airliner radio/shortwave/phonograph

Miss Stella

One of the Regulars
I am SO EXCITED that I CAN'T wait until I get pics to tell you that I have been gifted an Airline radio/shortwave/phonograph for my birthday next month!!!
I am told it needs tubes and probably a tune up....anybody you could recommend in the SF Bay or Sacramento area that does this?
I'll post pics ASAP but first must make room in 850 sq. ft. cottage for it :D
(Good thing all the kiddos moved out or I'd be financing that move!! Oh, wait, there is a "workout" room that never gets "worked" in.....LOL!!!)

Last edited:

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
It is important to determine it's approximate vintage. If it's from the 30's,40's or very early fifties than it will probably need to have all it's capacitors replaced before trying to use it. If you plug it in you may burn out it's circuits or even start a fire, This is because the old capacitors used a wax paper insulator which will have melted and dried out and can cause a short circuit. Chances are the power cord will need replacing also. I have had work on my 42 Silvertone console done by a gentlemen in Castro Valley named Ben Martin (google Ben Martin's radio attic). He is very nice man and extremely knowledgeable and fair priced . Capacitor replacement ran approx. 10.00 per tube. Congrats on the radio! Please post pictures. I still have to complete the cosmetic restoration of my console.

Miss Stella

One of the Regulars
Thank you for this! I am sending an email today. I will try and get a photo hosting site today and post the photos I have of it today.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
o2b swank is correct. Capacitors are the weak point in old radios, luckily they still make them in the appropriate sizes. But today's capacitors are made of mylar and will last almost forever. They cost from 25c to 1 or 2 dollars each and there may be 20 or 30 in a radio. So the cost of caps is not large, it is the hand work of soldering them into the circuits. Also the repairman needs to be familiar with old tube electronics and have the correct schematic diagram for that particular radio.

There are plenty of tubes around too. Most are available brand new for $5 $10 or $15.

So the hard part is to find a tech to work on it, but there are a lot of hobbyists around and also some musicians prefer the tube amps. There are also vintage radio web sites and vintage radio clubs.

If your radio/phono is reconditioned properly it should be good for a lifetime of service. Life of a tube is 10,000 hours (average) and mylar caps last practically forever. A radio will actually last longer if used from time to time than if it is left to sit idle. Also, the starting and warm up period takes a lot out of the radio, once it is on the wear and tear is negligible. It is possible to add a device to smooth out the warmup and preserve the life of the radio but I forget what it is called.

It is important to determine it's approximate vintage. If it's from the 30's,40's or very early fifties than it will probably need to have all it's capacitors replaced before trying to use it. If you plug it in you may burn out it's circuits or even start a fire, This is because the old capacitors used a wax paper insulator which will have melted and dried out and can cause a short circuit. Chances are the power cord will need replacing also. I have had work on my 42 Silvertone console done by a gentlemen in Castro Valley named Ben Martin (google Ben Martin's radio attic). He is very nice man and extremely knowledgeable and fair priced . Capacitor replacement ran approx. 10.00 per tube. Congrats on the radio! Please post pictures. I still have to complete the cosmetic restoration of my console.

Interesting. I thought Ben had gotten out of it but I called and he said he is back to fixing radios again. I mentioned the type that MS needs fixing and he said he could fix everything except the phonograph. Sounds like a good recommendation to me. :p
I have a back log of radios that need to be fixed as well so he is getting some work from me this weekend as well. Thanks for reminding me. :p

o2b swank is correct. Capacitors are the weak point in old radios, luckily they still make them in the appropriate sizes. But today's capacitors are made of mylar and will last almost forever. They cost from 25c to 1 or 2 dollars each and there may be 20 or 30 in a radio. So the cost of caps is not large, it is the hand work of soldering them into the circuits. Also the repairman needs to be familiar with old tube electronics and have the correct schematic diagram for that particular radio.

There are plenty of tubes around too. Most are available brand new for $5 $10 or $15.

So the hard part is to find a tech to work on it, but there are a lot of hobbyists around and also some musicians prefer the tube amps. There are also vintage radio web sites and vintage radio clubs.

If your radio/phono is reconditioned properly it should be good for a lifetime of service. Life of a tube is 10,000 hours (average) and mylar caps last practically forever. A radio will actually last longer if used from time to time than if it is left to sit idle. Also, the starting and warm up period takes a lot out of the radio, once it is on the wear and tear is negligible. It is possible to add a device to smooth out the warmup and preserve the life of the radio but I forget what it is called.

If you remember the name of the device and where to get one, please let us know. I have several old radios that I would like to save for posterity. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80