Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubar Color Question

Rev Tom

New in Town
I have been doing a lot of reading on the forum lately, and I am considering either an Akubra Stylemaster or Fed IV for my second hat (I currently have a Banjo in Fawn that I have enjoyed). Can anyone tell me the difference between Moonstone and Mid Gray? Is the Moonstone a true gray, or does it tend toward blue? How light is the Moonstone? Is it so light that it tends to show dirt easily?

Thanks
Tom

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The moonstone I saw was more or less a medium gray with a bluish cast to it, if I recall correctly. It is definitely not an overly light gray. I have never seen Akubra's Mid Gray, unfortunately.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Rev Tom said:
How light is the Moonstone? Is it so light that it tends to show dirt easily?

Thanks
Tom

I want to pull the trigger on a Federation but keep going back and forth on the color. I'm very curious as to the showing dirt question as well.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Here is a shot of me and K Steiner handing off a Moonstone Squatter a few years ago. For comparison purposes, my hat (right) was powder blue and I think Steiner's was silverbelly.

KSteinerHandoff01a.jpg

It shouldn't show dirt too badly, I would think.

Rev Tom

New in Town
Not-Bogart13 said:
Here is a shot of me and K Steiner handing off a Moonstone Squatter a few years ago. For comparison purposes, my hat (right) was powder blue and I think Steiner's was silverbelly.

KSteinerHandoff01a.jpg

It shouldn't show dirt too badly, I would think.

Thanks for the comparison photo. It certainly helps in trying to judge the color.

Tom

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
handlebar bart said:
NB. I am curious about the powder blue one on your noggin. :eusa_clap

I loved that hat. It's a vintage Open Road (probably early 60's), which I gave a simple center dent and pinch. It served me well but, alas, my noggin grew, and I had to let her go. I couldn't bring myself to resize a vintage hat. If my memory serves correctly, somebody here ended up with that one.

YARVTON

New in Town
The Greys of Akubra

I have a Fed IV in Carbon Grey -- really dark and to my taste. I think the Stylemaster is in the same or nearly dark grey. Wish that Squatter came with a black ribbon, though a change is easy enough.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the mid-gray is darker than moonstone. I had a moonstone Stylemaster and liked the color but sold the hat because I ordered it too big. I have another moonstone on order now, a moonstone Fed Deluxe IV. It's pobably waiting for me at home now. I recommend the color. It's a lighter gray that goes well with many other colors, and I'm partial to gray hats anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn