Akubra Bogart in Carbon Grey review

Discussion in 'Hats' started by GLB Pro, Aug 11, 2016.

1. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

sorry if I came off that way brother ... no harm intended

turns out he was joking anyway ... I should have picked up on that

2. Dreamofgilgamesh

Dreamofgilgamesh A-List Customer

Really? I didn't know that, how interesting.

Bigger Don likes this.
  3. Spats McGee

Spats McGee One Too Many

I may be a little late to the party, but: Good review! Thanks for posting.

I have a Stylemaster in mid-gray, and I wear it aplenty. As you note for the Bogart, it's a great "everyday" hat. Very versatile. So much so that I've been eyeballin' more Stylemasters in different colors...

Redfokker and Bigger Don like this.
  4. PHIL1959

PHIL1959 One of the Regulars

Great review. I have a stylemaster in carbon and moonstone, i prefer moonstone, it goes with nearly everything,the carbon to me is just too dark.

Redfokker likes this.
  5. emigran

emigran Practically Family

YUP...
    BTW that Bogey picture I believe is his Tokyo Joe apparel

6. Eric D.

Eric D. New in Town

7. Eric D.

Eric D. New in Town

I'm new to the forum. Decided to add to my hat collection after many years. Interested in buying the Akubra Bogart or Stylemaster. However, I'm seeing conflicting information about the height of the crown on both hats. The post here says 12mm for the Bogart. A youtube review says the Bogart has a 10mm crown. A website in Texas says the Stylemaster has a 4-1/4 inch crown. The Australian hat shops say 9mm for both styles. I'm assuming they are referring to the center crown. Can anybody clear this up for me?

Redfokker likes this.
  8. Eric D.

Eric D. New in Town

Sorry . . . meant to say centimeters.

FedOregon and Redfokker like this.
  9. GLB Pro

GLB Pro New in Town

Haha yes there's a big difference between mm and cm!

I suspect all of these sources are correct - it's just how you measure the crown. As I said in my review, if you measure the height of the crown externally you get 12cm to the highest point on the crown which is the side of the hat. Measuring to the lowest point ie to back of the crown, gives about 10cm. Measuring inside the hat gives slightly less, about 9cm. 4.25" is about 10.7cm, also within these parameters. There is a slight radius where the brim and crown meet which can affect the measurement and the taper of the crown adds to the difficulty of getting a precise figure. Finally there are variations in dimensions due to production tolerances - no two hats will be exactly the same.

If you want more precise dimensions than these I think you will need to examine the hat in person.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
    Bruno

DavidP likes this.
  10. Eric D.

Eric D. New in Town

Thanks Bruno. This really helps a lot. Also like the pictures of your hat. Think I'll get one.

Eric

DavidP and Redfokker like this.
  11. GLB Pro

GLB Pro New in Town

You're welcome Eric, it's a nice lid! You can also consider the Stylemaster as others have said, it will be a better fit IMO if your head is oval. Long ovals fit the Bogart better.

Bruno

DavidP and Redfokker like this.
  12. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

I'm curious why you think long ovals fit the Bogart better. The Stylemaster and Bogart are both circular (not oval *) hats, don't have dimensional brims, and are virtually identical apart from their different creases.

(* All the Stetsons I've had have been slightly oval, but all the Akubras are perfect circles.)

I wear both center-dent and teardrop hats, and I don't see that either kind generally looks or fits better or worse on me. Okay, I'm not a long oval. What would be different if I was?

Gromulus likes this.
  13. suitedcboy

suitedcboy One Too Many

When you are a long oval skull and you put on a regular oval hat it deforms the hat brim and sometimes the crown. Take one of your hats and elongate it to a long oval and you'll see the deformation.

Redfokker likes this.
  14. Doctor Strange

Sure, I get that. But I still don't understand how the center-dent Bogart would respond differently from the otherwise identical teardrop Stylemaster and be "better". Same brim size, same ribbon, same degree of taper in the crown, same front dents, comparable crown height. Why would one bash be better for long ovals than the other? I've been here daily for 12 years and don't recall any mention of this concept before.

DavidP, Redfokker and Gromulus like this.
  15. ScionPI2005

ScionPI2005 Call Me a Cab

Nice review, and a gorgeous hat. I love the color.

16. GLB Pro

GLB Pro New in Town

Ok here's how I've come to this conclusion - take a look at these two pictures and note the shape created by the sweatband:

Bogart:
    [​IMG]
    Stylemaster:
    [​IMG]
    The teardrop crown of the stylemaster (at least in my examples) creates an oval that is wider and shorter than the Bogart. I know this is true because when I wear the Bogart there is no space at my temples and the hat fits snugly all around. With the stylemaster there is about half an inch gap on either side.

This may be completely unique to my particular hats, but it seems logical to me.

Regards,
    Bruno

Bob Roberts likes this.
  17. Doctor Strange

Okay, thanks. Both of those hats look more oval than any of my Akburas.

18. GLB Pro

GLB Pro New in Town

Thanks! Glad you liked the review!

19. GLB Pro

GLB Pro New in Town

I agree, the carbon grey only appears grey in bright sunlight, otherwise it's more of a charcoal colour.

Redfokker and PHIL1959 like this.
  20. Benzadmiral

Benzadmiral Call Me a Cab

The one of Bogart sitting on the fence rail with his pipe, I think, is from Dark Victory. I've always wanted a hat like that. It looks as if his character, Bette Davis's horse trainer, wears it for everything he does.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017