Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
On on page 217, exactly 2 pages before this one, a fellow Lounger Chuck Bobuck posted several pictures of his on GG CD, including a shot comparing it to a DavidMorgan Akubra Squatter in Moonstone.

How ya doing Neo? :) The Squatter is not a David Morgan, to my knowledge, it doesn't have the chin strap holes. The crown doesn't seem as large as the Morgan Squatter either. Maybe David Morgan sold one like this at one time, but it doesn't seem to match their current offering. It's a mystery Squatter I found on OFAS. It does have a peach colored liner.

IMG_3458-2.jpg

Last edited:
Sam,
From what's listed on Akubra's site, the Glen Gray looks to only be available on two models, the Snowy River and the Cattleman. It looks to be a light/mid grey not as blue as the Steel Grey the Squatter comes in. It's not listed as an available color in the CD. :(

The Glen Grey offering of the Campdraft was a Lounge inspired offering like the Heritage Campdraft Deluxe by Hats Direct.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How ya doing Neo? :) The Squatter is not a David Morgan, to my knowledge, it doesn't have the chin strap holes. The crown doesn't seem as large as the Morgan Squatter either. Maybe David Morgan sold one like this at one time, but it doesn't seem to match their current offering. It's a mystery Squatter I found on OFAS. It does have a peach colored liner.

I've been fine. How 'bout yourself?

Whoops! Forgot that little detail.
Despite my mistake regarding the hat's origins, it is still a great pic. I remember seeing it the first time you posted it, because it solidified my preference of of Glen Grey over Moonstone Grey.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I've been fine. How 'bout yourself?

Whoops! Forgot that little detail.
Despite my mistake regarding the hat's origins, it is still a great pic. I remember seeing it the first time you posted it, because it solidified my preference of of Glen Grey over Moonstone Grey.

I've been doing well Neo, thanks! I am an Akubra enabler. :)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
On on page 217, exactly 2 pages before this one, a fellow Lounger Chuck Bobuck posted several pictures of his on GG CD, including a shot comparing it to a DavidMorgan Akubra Squatter in Moonstone.

Alex, thanks ... I was looking at Stinkykid's pics, which is part of what led to my question.

I have a Moonstone gray Squatter I bought from Bluewater and I love it. It has a blue cast to the gray, and I love that.

The question I had was whether the Campdraft in GlenGray ... and yes, it is offered by hatsdirect.com ... is a "true gray" or if it also has a blue cast.
The pics on the website appear to be a true gray, almost a charcoal, which is what I am after. If Glen Gray has the blue cast, then I don't need to have another hat the same hue as my Squatter. I'll just wear it.

I have some sports coats that would look better with the true gray.

Thanks for the input.

Sam

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Sam,
From what's listed on Akubra's site, the Glen Gray looks to only be available on two models, the Snowy River and the Cattleman. It looks to be a light/mid grey not as blue as the Steel Grey the Squatter comes in. It's not listed as an available color in the CD. :(

Monbla, you are THE MAN!

I know a guy here who has a gray Cattleman! I will take a look at it. Thanks.

One of the great things about FL is having the experts on hand when you need them!

Sam

Gromulus

Practically Family
Alex, thanks ... I was looking at Stinkykid's pics, which is part of what led to my question.

I have a Moonstone gray Squatter I bought from Bluewater and I love it. It has a blue cast to the gray, and I love that.

The question I had was whether the Campdraft in GlenGray ... and yes, it is offered by hatsdirect.com ... is a "true gray" or if it also has a blue cast.
The pics on the website appear to be a true gray, almost a charcoal, which is what I am after. If Glen Gray has the blue cast, then I don't need to have another hat the same hue as my Squatter. I'll just wear it.

Thanks for the input.

Sam

As has been reported on this forum several times, Hats Direct (The Hattery) in OZ carries the Campdraft in Glen Grey. This hat/color combination was a previous Fedora Lounge inspired offering.

http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=14&returncat=Akubra+Hats&returnpage=1

I would email Jenny to see if they have your size in stock if interested.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
As has been reported on this forum several times, Hats Direct (The Hattery) in OZ carries the Campdraft in Glen Grey. This hat/color combination was a previous Fedora Lounge inspired offering.

http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=14&returncat=Akubra+Hats&returnpage=1

I would email Jenny to see if they have your size in stock if interested.

Thanks, but the issue was not finding a CD in gray, I knew where to do that.
The issue was whether it is a true gray or a blue gray.

Sam

Gromulus

Practically Family
Thanks, but the issue was not finding a CD in gray, I knew where to do that.
The issue was whether it is a true gray or a blue gray.

Sam
Gotcha. I believe Tom Dean posted some pics of his Glen Grey CD and stated it was more grey ("yellower") than the bluish tint of the Moonstone. Also, Chuck Bobuck posted some comparison pics with the Moonstone CD earlier in this thread (post #2177). Thinking of getting one myself!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Thanks, Gromulus

I love the Moonstone gray, don't get me wrong.
It's just that I already have a Squatter that I like a lot in that color. Don't need a CD that's the same.
"Yellower" would be better.

Sam

Gromulus

Practically Family
Thanks, Gromulus

I love the Moonstone gray, don't get me wrong.
It's just that I already have a Squatter that I like a lot in that color. Don't need a CD that's the same.
"Yellower" would be better.

Sam

I understand completely. I have a Moonstone Stylemaster and Fed IV. The Stylemaster is more on the blue side than the FED. The FED is the denser Deluxe/Heritage grade and it was explained that there may have been less dye absorption with this felt. While it would probably not be discernible in photos, I can see the difference and actually prefer the yellower color for my FED which makes it somewhat less formal in my view and easier to coordinate with a wider range of color attire.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

Thanks for the input.

Sam

Sam,
Here's the Glen Grey Squatter that David Morgan used to import and Bluewater used to sell. I got one over a year ago from Bluewater still had it in stock and DM had dropped it from their offerings.

19870022.jpg

19870021.jpg

It is a solid medium grey with some blue to it. It is darker than the Moonstone DM now carries.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
MB,

I'm wearing my gray Squatter today. It is a great hat. I'm just hoping the Glen Gray Campdraft is a bit darker.

I have a really nice, satin finish Mallory, from the 40s and a gray Knox 20 and all three are about the same lighter gray.
I have a newer Mallory that is a darker gray, but it's got a small brim, and I just think I'd like a darker gray CD.

At least that is my thinking for now.

Sam

The Glen Grey CD is darker.
Was hoping to have comparable shots with Moonstone Fed4 & GG CD but lighting is off due to daylight.
It is darker than my gray Marathon which is closer to Moonstone.
Fed4 - Moonstone
Photo-0101.jpg

Campdraft - Glen Grey
cdconfed2.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
That's the shade difference I am betting on.
It certainly looks like enough of a difference to make it worth the purchase ... or at least to serve as a good excuse.

Thanks for all the input,

Sam

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I do not need a Glen Grey Campdraft.
I do not ...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members