Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Goes much deeper than politics....
12GA_0002.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
I'll have to wait until I get home to see your photos, Tom. My work computer doesn't let me see lots of them. I'm on the same page as you, as per usual. I spent the first half of my life in the South, and am presently spending the second half in California, where I hear a lot of disparaging remarks about Southern history and heritage by folks who know very little about either. I just don't want another "War of Northern Aggression" in the middle of a thread about a hat from Australia. Frank

Gromulus

Practically Family
Putting the "politics" aside, as a Civil War buff I can appreciate the legacy and heritage of both sides. History is almost always "multi-causational" and the Civil War certainly cannot be attributed to any one issue. Anyhow, nearly as many AMERICANS of both sides lost their lives in that war as in all the other wars the US has been involved with. In many ways this was just another step in our country's founding.

Anyhow, I like that Glen Grey Campdraft Tom!

DougC

Practically Family
GT--I was going to say the Civil War was more about economics and States' rights than about any single issue--thought it would be too political, but it would have made my history teachers proud!. My family had a yankee ambulance driver who ended up in Andersonville and my wife's had family that fought for the South. Looking at your icture, it appears to also have been about family and floppy hats!:)

Still, I like the color and crease on you OZ hat!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Is the photo in #2216 period or is it of reenactors? I'm asking cause I don't recall seeing it before. The following photo is of Confederate prisoners at Gettysburg. Alexander Gardner took it just following the battle. It gives us great insight as to the kind of clothing and equipment used by midwar Confederates. Notice that the hats are no where near as floppy as depicted in most movies.

522430866_o-1.jpg

AF

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Atticus

The photographic history rings true and if you spend any time in the field in CW camp gear, you learn that the better you care for your gear, the more comfortable you are.

I'm convinced that the beat up looking reenactors are made up of folk who venture into the field for the day ... not for lengthy periods. They haven't learned what camp life was like.

By way of coincidence, as I hit on your post this morning I was listening to Mr. Elmer Bernstein conducting the Royal Scottish National Orchestra performing Bernstein's composition of "To Kill a Mockingbird." Some of my all time favorite music.

Sam

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Atticus,

Bashed correctly, the Glen Gray Campdraft would make an excellent hat for Civil War reenactors from the Confederate army.

I'm from north of the 49th parallel. Would "Army of the South" be a correct term?

Harry.

Gromulus

Practically Family
Reenactors
Not meant to confuse with real soldiers = had posted the photo before.
I am seated far right as you view it.
This was a group that did most of the 125th anniversary battles plus slept in the breastworks many a time at events.
Nothing made up for the photo....back to Campdrafts.....

I, for one, didn't realize that you were in the photo. Pretty neat! Must have been a great time. You definitely have the best hat of the bunch. Is it the GG Campdraft?

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Reenactors
This was a group that did most of the 125th anniversary battles plus slept in the breastworks many a time at events.

Excellent! You had me fooled.

Harry.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Atticus,

Bashed correctly, the Glen Gray Campdraft would make an excellent hat for Civil War reenactors from the Confederate army.

I'm from north of the 49th parallel. Would "Army of the South" be a correct term?

Harry.

Army of Northern Virginia; Army of Tennessee; Army of the Trans Mississippi. There were quite a few Confederate armies. The North generally named their armies after bodies of water. The South generally used land masses. Hence, the Army of The Tennessee was a Union Army but the Army of Tennessee was Confederate.

AF

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Reenactors

Heh, I even looked to see if you might be in there gt, but didn't recognize you until you pointed yourself out. The pic had me fooled, good eye Atticus. :) Love my Campdrafts.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Heh, I even looked to see if you might be in there gt, but didn't recognize you until you pointed yourself out. The pic had me fooled, good eye Atticus. :) Love my Campdrafts.

Civil War era photography employed large lens apertures and long shutter speeds, so there are very few truly candid Civil War photographs. Those that do exist generally exhibit some movement blur. The primary subject of the photo may be sharp, but background things like tree leaves, horse heads, dogs or passers by are usually blurry. The more mobile things that were in the photo, the more likely that at least some of them would be blurry.

Whoever took the photo in gtdeans’s post did an excellent job of creating the feel of a Civil War era photo. The period dress, the poses of the subjects, the soft tone of the photo and the shallow field of focus are all spot on. But there are nine guys in the picture. It is almost certain that sombody would have moved a bit during the long exposure time required by an 1860s camera.

AF

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Campdraft Deluxe arrived Saturday - barely left my head since.

390144_10150473695292260_555787259_9125824_759568104_n.jpg

405739_10150473696677260_555787259_9125826_746225121_n.jpg

393639_10150469706397260_555787259_9109369_1913965384_n.jpg

Sunday afternoon, outside the Horseshoe pub, near London Bridge station. This is known to fans of Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes for its use as the location of the Railway Arms at the conclusion of the series.

408671_10150472040497260_555787259_9118743_186828431_n.jpg

ETA: Hadn't twigged for whatever reason that the CD isn't a snap brim, but it holds a snap-brim down in front / up in back look very well, so. I just need to remember not to keep habitually trying to snap it up before I take it off.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana