Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Landman

One Too Many
I've never really cared for black hats but wearing my new black Premier Stratoliner for awhile I'm starting to appreciate them. I do get a lot of compliments on it.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I would like some guidance. I have been lurking for some time - especially in the Stratoliner, Campdraft and Campaign hat threads. I had already found a custom maker for my campaign hat, but have been wanting to try an Akubra CD for a long time. Please let me know the best source and why you think that source is best.
(Not in a particular rush - good service is more important to me as I do have hats)

Also, I see two quality grades. I am one who wears my hats and do not see them as museum pieces. What is the practical difference between the grades. How do I justify the extra $40 between these?

Thanks in advance for the guidance,

Fed

frussell

One Too Many
Fed - others will disagree, but the main difference between the two grades is a better, more comfortable sweatband. It's wider, and made of better grade leather. I didn't find the felt that much better, although the heritage seemed heavier, which was not a good thing in my climate. I've always gotten excellent service from hatsdirect, aka "The Hattery."

Last edited:
Have 2 CD Deluxes & 2 Imperials. Felt is denser plus better sweatbands & ribbons.
Whether 'worth it' is individual evaluation. The Lounge worked to get the CD Deluxe first run & Moonstone only comes in Deluxe. Worth it to me...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Have 2 CD Deluxes & 2 Imperials. Felt is denser plus better sweatbands & ribbons.
Whether 'worth it' is individual evaluation. The Lounge worked to get the CD Deluxe first run & Moonstone only comes in Deluxe. Worth it to me...

Is the Campdraft more along the line of an Open Road or a Stratoliner? I noticed that the brim on the CD seems more flanged like a fedora than western like the OR is. I know that at one time Akubra was one of a few hat companies which were licensed by Stetson to make the Open Road.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Open Road TJ. Akubra was Oz maker of OR for Stetson. When contract ran out, renamed as CD. More vintage specs than US version...

Thanks gt...I've been giving consideration to buying one. Maybe in a Brown or Gray.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Thanks for the speedy initial feedback!

So, I am only hearing that The Hattery/HatsDirect is the best source?

Frussell, your feedback is particularly helpful. I think that light is better as I live near the Gulf South where heat is an issue. Thicker is not necessarily better here and Silverbelly is the color for my first CD.

GTDean48 gives good feedback as well, but I have a couple of light gray hats, so the moonstone is not an option for now. (Wearing a Churchhill in saber as I write this.)
Silverbelly looks very good in the photos that I have seen here and the fawn is a very close contender.

Still trying to gather input before pulling the trigger on this purchase as I want it done right on the first run.

Thanks!

Fed

Duper

Practically Family
Everythingaustralian has better prices on the CD and shipping also I believe. You might have to wait a bit for some of the colours, plus they only do the standard felts. Sam at EA has not let me down.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Everythingaustralian has better prices on the CD and shipping also I believe. You might have to wait a bit for some of the colours, plus they only do the standard felts. Sam at EA has not let me down.

I've had great service from both Hatsdirect and EverythingAustralian - I couldn't recommend one over the other.

As Duper says EA has better prices (including shipping to the UK at least) but you'll generally have a significant wait for your order. Hatsdirect has more specials and tends to have hats in stock, but is a fair bit dearer. I'd happily use both again.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I'd always thought the CD was only available from Australia - my Bluegrass one came from Sam at Everything Australian.

Noticed the other day that that Gigi at Hatwrks in Nashville has a whole pile of Silverbelly CDs in her store: http://www.hatwrks.com/

I remember Mike Moore was looking to sell them too so maybe things are changing.

...So, I am only hearing that The Hattery/HatsDirect is the best source?
I've ordered from both The Hattery/Hats Direct and Everything Australian, and received very good service from both; as Richard/ManofKent wrote above, I couldn't recommend one over the other with regards to service and quality. As such, the main difference is that Hats Direct generally has hats in stock, while Everything Australian more often than not orders them from Akubra when a customer places an order and they have lower prices than Hats Direct.

All things being equal (i.e., they both offer the same hat in the same color), if you want your hat sooner you should order from Hats Direct, but if you can wait approximately three months and want to save $45-$50 (depending on the hat) Everything Australian is the way to go.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, she said on her Facebook page that a rep from the US distributer delivered them. The CD isn't on the DM site though.

On FB there's a pic of a bunch of CDs next to a couple of the new Stetson Stetsonian which she also has.

I don't know what the CD price is. With the current exchange rate, Australian dealer have good pricing for the US.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I'd always thought the CD was only available from Australia - my Bluegrass one came from Sam at Everything Australian.

Noticed the other day that that Gigi at Hatwrks in Nashville has a whole pile of Silverbelly CDs in her store: http://www.hatwrks.com/

I remember Mike Moore was looking to sell them too so maybe things are changing.

That might be the single worst website I've seen in some time. I'm not even sure what it's supposed to be doing, but I didn't find any information there, much less anything about Campdrafts.

A

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
DJH,

True, GiGi's website is not a lot of help, but her Facebook clearly mentions having them in stock along with Stratoliners. Strats were also considered, but I am going with the CampDraft this time.

I have written for details and will share when she answers.

Thanks for the info!

Fed

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner