Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

illumin8em

A-List Customer
Well just another campdraft here, but it's my first. HatsDirect were great, US Customs on the other hand... well I'll leave it at that. The felt is the stiffest of any hat I've owned to date, lots of pop. I will say for others undecided about sizing and whether to size up due to shrinking, I should have probably sized up. I bought a size 60 and I measure my head at 23 1/4 - 23 3/8 depending on whether I need a hair cut at the time I measure. When the hat arrived it fit perfectly, after wearing for a couple hours it fit snug enough in the front and back that the wind did not blow it off my head, with a little space on the side that if it pushed in allowed the hat to slide down on my head, (I think I may be a long oval). But, After 3 days of ownership wearing a couple hours a day in our mild early Spring weather, the hat now fits tight enough allover to cause a headache after 20 minutes of wearing. So, I think sizing up is probably the best technique and use the foam tape provided to take up any slack.

This one, unfortunately may end up in the Classifieds unless I find a 61 to trade

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
You know I'm a LO (59) , but on Hats that are reg oval , I put a small size Hat Stretcher in and steamed it to get a LO in , and ease the binding on the forehead , plus bringing the loose sides in . Plus if after that it's still a bit too tight , stretch it until it's too big , a lot too big , and after a couple of hours it was fit perfect . But for a long oval get like a small Hat Jack Stretcher (smaller width) that will allow the LO fit better , and you might use it as a retainer when you don't wear it for a period of time . Nice Hat ! ... plus the crease of the crown may effect the fit , too .

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Well just another campdraft here, but it's my first. HatsDirect were great, US Customs on the other hand... well I'll leave it at that. The felt is the stiffest of any hat I've owned to date, lots of pop. I will say for others undecided about sizing and whether to size up due to shrinking, I should have probably sized up. I bought a size 60 and I measure my head at 23 1/4 - 23 3/8 depending on whether I need a hair cut at the time I measure. When the hat arrived it fit perfectly, after wearing for a couple hours it fit snug enough in the front and back that the wind did not blow it off my head, with a little space on the side that if it pushed in allowed the hat to slide down on my head, (I think I may be a long oval). But, After 3 days of ownership wearing a couple hours a day in our mild early Spring weather, the hat now fits tight enough allover to cause a headache after 20 minutes of wearing. So, I think sizing up is probably the best technique and use the foam tape provided to take up any slack.

This one, unfortunately may end up in the Classifieds unless I find a 61 to trade

Here's vid on it by David Morgan ...

It works , plus you can find other vids on stretching , I bought two medium Hat Jacks , but should have bought a small , then I bought 2 Made Rite Millinery Stretchers a 6 3/4 and a 6 7/8 , the more narrow the width the better .

Eliesti

A-List Customer

Have you tried a hat jack to widen it?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Have you tried a hat jack to widen it?

You can get a 4 Way Millinery Stretcher that widens . I've got a site booked marked that sells them New , but I'd try looking on eBay first . I'll try to Post the link of the site , they sell New 2 Way and 4 Way Stretchers www.wardrobesupplies.com I'll have to see if that worked , you have to search on there to find them . Mucho Dinero ... . That didn't work , try this https://www.wardrobesupplies.com/categories/crafts/millinery-supplies/stretchers-and-retainers

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Well that's the site , and the exact spot on it that takes you to the Hat Stretchers and Retainers , you may have to write it down and manually go there . Not sure why it doesn't link ?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
You can get a 4 Way Millinery Stretcher that widens . I've got a site booked marked that sells them New , but I'd try looking on eBay first . I'll try to Post the link of the site , they sell New 2 Way and 4 Way Stretchers www.wardrobesupplies.com I'll have to see if that worked , you have to search on there to find them . Mucho Dinero ... . That didn't work , try this https://www.wardrobesupplies.com/categories/crafts/millinery-supplies/stretchers-and-retainers

It worked when I just tried it . And the Price has gone down since the last time I looked for both the 2 Way and 4 Way . These are the ones the Pros Use !

Reactions: RJR

Mark53

New in Town
Hello Gentlemen, this is my first post but I wanted to put in my two cents. I have been wearing Camp Drafts for about three years, my first Akubra was a Bushman about 28 years ago. They are great hats but this is my point. I have always held with the idea that with Akubras one should go up a size, use foam tape and wait for the shrink. If you really wear them they will shrink. That is my experience anyway. I am a perfect 61 and all my Akubras are size 62. As I said, just my experience. After lurking for several years I decide to jump in. I have learned a lot from all of you. Thanks.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Hello Gentlemen, this is my first post but I wanted to put in my two cents. I have been wearing Camp Drafts for about three years, my first Akubra was a Bushman about 28 years ago. They are great hats but this is my point. I have always held with the idea that with Akubras one should go up a size, use foam tape and wait for the shrink. If you really wear them they will shrink. That is my experience anyway. I am a perfect 61 and all my Akubras are size 62. As I said, just my experience. After lurking for several years I decide to jump in. I have learned a lot from all of you. Thanks.
Come around more often! Same xperience here. Order up on size.

javadave61

Practically Family
Glad to hear from you Mark. Wise words that match my experience.

GGlep

New in Town
I have a similar experience. I measure out at a 59.5 and ordered a 60 about a month or two ago. It was perfect initially but is now feeling tight.

slimcut22

New in Town

If it doesn't work out for you, I would be interested in taking it off your hands. PM me if your interested.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Just to let you know the Bushman of mine was similar , but stretching solved it , the Taupe CD on the other hand is tightening up , but I still have the foam in . I'm actually 58.5 cm , ordered the 59 , I've been pleased . And I'm slightly LO , too , thought I was LO , but Ole showed the guide . My last Resistol is 7 3/8 LO self conforming , and is wider than the Bushman , now , and no where near Ole's chart of LO measurements , but it shrunk getting wet , and had to be stretched . Then it was soaked again and conformed perfectly , BIG Comfort factor . Its old , too , not newer than early 90s at the latest . Could be late 80s . It was my newest Western . According to the measurements the Resistol is 8" front to back , 6.75" side to side . The Bushman 59 cm is 8" front to back , 6.5" side to side , more a 58 cm , now , or 7 1/4 . Stretching when it gets too snug , and retaining helps . But see my last Post ^ .

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up

My head measures exactly the same as yours and I bought a 59 that fit me to absolute perfection. The sizing varies from individual hat to hat. I'd probably love that hat you got. But absolutely you can take them up to a size larger with a stretcher.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I became interested in the Balmoral recently, I discovered, to my usual annoyance, that they only went up to a 62 (and I wear a 63). So, as two out of three of my Akubras arrived at my door in a size roughly one full size large, I asked the ladies at Hatsdirect if I should just go ahead and get the 62. I was surprised when they firmly recommended that I not do so. After recovering from the shock of experiencing actual business ethics, I realized that Akubra normally seems to take shrinkage into account but that, similar to the starch question, a great deal probably depends on the person in direct charge of a particular batch's production. It's great, though, that they're so concerned about the satisfaction of their customers.

Eliesti

A-List Customer
When I became interested in the Balmoral recently, I discovered, to my usual annoyance, that they only went up to a 62 (and I wear a 63). So, as two out of three of my Akubras arrived at my door in a size roughly one full size large, I asked the ladies at Hatsdirect if I should just go ahead and get the 62. I was surprised when they firmly recommended that I not do so. After recovering from the shock of experiencing actual business ethics, I realized that Akubra normally seems to take shrinkage into account but that, similar to the starch question, a great deal probably depends on the person in direct charge of a particular batch's production. It's great, though, that they're so concerned about the satisfaction of their customers.

I am a size 59, and I have found 59 in the Campdraft and Cattleman to be a tad large such that I need a foam insert, but in the Fed IV and Balmoral, it was perfect. Since straw is less stretchable and the Balmoral is pretty stiff, it's probably better not to buy a size too small in the Balmoral. I do really like the Balmoral so far though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider