Akubra Campdraft

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Spatterdash, Jan 18, 2008.

1. 1967Cougar390

1967Cougar390 Practically Family

I laughed at how true you post is. That’s just about my story and how I got started with hats. Then I found th FL and since becoming a member I’ve got two more hats. I’m hoping my Stratoliner will arrive today. :)

Cornshucker77 and Zombie_61 like this.
  2. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

The Lounge Edition was a limited run Everything Austrailian helped put together with Akubras several years ago. You can no longer get them, unless you could talk a fellow Lounger out of his.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  3. Wyldkarma

Wyldkarma One Too Many

Here I am again, Johnny come lately to the party! Guess I will throw it out there, if anyone needs to get rid of one I'm a size 58 or 7 1/4. Happy Trails...

Cornshucker77 and Zombie_61 like this.
  4. I started wearing hats regularly in 2008, so I came to it later in life than a lot of our fellow Loungers. Not by design or by plan, but I've somehow managed to show a great deal of restraint and my acquisition of hats has so far averaged a little over one per year (11 hats in 9.5 years, not counting a few flat caps).

I've recently added a Stratoliner to my "want" list, but it would have to be the right color for the right price when finances permit. I've read a lot of complaints here about the quality of modern production Stetsons and believe they're at least a little overpriced (especially compared to Akubra's hats), but I could be convinced to part with a few extra dollars if the right hat comes along at the right time. I've looked on evilBay from time to time for vintage hats but, judging by the asking prices, the sellers seem to think they're made of gold. :rolleyes:

1967Cougar390 and Wyldkarma like this.
  5. Telemaster

Telemaster One of the Regulars

My BGCD was delivered yesterday... the high crown both thrills and terrifies me. My first, hopefully passable but probably failed, attempt at a bash (cattleman) is drying as I type this. Conceptually, I like the dichotomy of the not-so-western BG color with the archetypal western crease. Practically, I have no idea if it will work. Tonight is date-nite with the missus, so wish me luck.

DOGMAN, Zombie_61, Scuttle and 5 others like this.
  6. Richard Morgan

Richard Morgan One Too Many

I find a cattleman crease hard to do well, maybe just me, but if your avatar pic is the crease you posted about, it looks good. I would call it a success.
    We live by pics here so posting larger ones is always helpful.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  7. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I'll wish you luck on the hat (post pics!), but you're on your own with the missus.

Rogera and Zombie_61 like this.
  8. Scuttle

Scuttle One of the Regulars

I do admire your restraint(!).

My "I'll get one good hat" turned into a Starter Set® right quick, and I hit your numbers in a span of months, not years.

Time will tell if my upcoming Gannon remains My Custom Hat™, or morphs into a Custom Hat Starter Set®. :eek:

In case it isn't clear, I'm enjoying this adventure very much. :)

Specific to this thread, I love my Campdraft if regretting that my smaller noggin/face requires more felt folded into itself than I'd prefer in order to achieve the proportions I want. (Mine's a teardrop that's almost telescoped, and I'd rather have a lighter crease without ending up looking like Mugsy.)

Also?

If Stetson made a decent modern Stratoliner, I wouldn't be looking at a custom hat; the Stratoliner's relative size and shape are exactly up my alley, and the Caribou SE with the lighter trim really speaks to me.

BUT.

I read the complaints about the Stratoliner here as well, but having other modern Stetsons in hand that I really like and consider worth the money paid (Royal Deluxe/Sovereign, and Royal, the latter of which the Stratoliner and Stratoliner SE editions are purported to be), I thought, "How bad can it be?"

My regular silverbelly Stratoliner is pretty bad, to me not worth even the sale price + an additional discount I paid because it's ... kinda gross.

Whether it's a function of the Royal quality felt/finishing not being substantial enough to hold together when thinned for the Stratoliner, or other factors, the hat looks the part but felt cheap and soft in the wrong ways from the get-go-- and then it got wet and really weird things happened to the felt cardboard.

So, if you go that route? I highly recommend seeing one in person first, or buying with the option of Return, and make sure you have a Rain rider in your home insurance. ;)

Back on-topic: The Campdraft is a really great hat. I love wearing mine, and enjoy it almost most when inclement weather threatens.

Ha HAHA, says my Campdraft, as we head out into the storm.

~ S.

DOGMAN, Zombie_61 and BobHufford like this.
  9. Telemaster

Sadly, that is not the hat in my avatar... that’s a Sheplers OR that I bought too small. I tried to copy that crease though. I’ll figure out how and post pics “shortly”.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. For many of us, hats are like potato chips--you can't have just one. It all starts innocently enough, but you soon realize there's no such thing as one single hat that meets all of our wants and needs, so we get another...and another...and...

The good thing about a hat with a taller crown is that it allows you to crease it as tall or short as you want it. A hat with a shorter crown doesn't give you enough material to do that, so I'm convinced taller crowns are a better option regardless of how short or tall you like your crowns.

Being able to inspect and try on a hat before you buy it is always preferable. But in this part of southern California it's hard enough to find a hat shop, let alone one that sells Stetsons. When the time comes I'll put some effort into it, but I have a feeling it will probably be a hat I'll stumble onto and that dumb luck will play a large part. :D

My Akubras love rain, and I'm convinced everyone should own at least one if for no other reason than to have a "dedicated rain hat".

Cornshucker77 and DOGMAN like this.
  11. bluesforchallah

bluesforchallah Practically Family

BGGCD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been, Zoukatron, TunedVWGti and 7 others like this.
  12. ^ Great place to hang your hat, in every meaning of the phrase.

13. glider

glider One of the Regulars

My strat isn't very old, I purchased it directly from Stetson last year. I'm pretty happy with it, the felt is pretty soft and it's just stiff enough .

Cornshucker77, Scuttle and Zombie_61 like this.
  14. Sort of a modified Alpine crease on a Sage Royal DeLuxe Open Road...
    [​IMG]

15. Telemaster

Finally think I understand pic posting... Here's my very first attempt at bashing a hat... ever. I deciding between calling it "Cattleman Extreme" or naming the style "Severe Cattleman"...

[​IMG]

16. Telemaster

Did that work?... all I see is (IMG)...

17. No, no photo, just the "IMG" placeholder.

18. Telemaster

There... DEA893D5-ADBE-475B-82D1-FDF5C184A52A.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Been, KarlCrow, moontheloon and 9 others like this.
  19. TunedVWGti

TunedVWGti One of the Regulars

Did you have any trouble rebashing that OR?

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  20. ecleccentric

ecleccentric New in Town

I have a heritage campdraft. (I'm a newb)

I can't get the brim to snap down properly. I either have to steam it down, which then results in it not snapping up; or leave it curved up.

I'd like the options of being able to wear it snapped down for sun protection , then having it snapped up for indoor wear...

Any suggestions would be appreciated!