Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

TunedVWGti

One of the Regulars
Not much at all. It is not like the pressed in factory crease of the western weight modern OR's. I got 2 of these Royal DeLuxe OR's, one open crown & this one. The crease was fairly easily modified. HTH

Assuming you got the open crown a few years ago? They don't still offer the open crown do they?

Assuming you got the open crown a few years ago? They don't still offer the open crown do they?
Yep, jumped on them when first offered, felt they wouldn't last long. We just don't drive that much market demand for HatCo. I was hoping to get the sage one in open crown but have modified a Road Master a while back. These are how a dress weight OR should be, JMHO

TunedVWGti

One of the Regulars
Yep, jumped on them when first offered, felt they wouldn't last long. We just don't drive that much market demand for HatCo. I was hoping to get the sage one in open crown but have modified a Road Master a while back. These are how a dress weight OR should be, JMHO

Thanks for the info. A sage OR is next up on the wish list... Would like a front pinch but I also like the cattleman well enough.

The bluegrass CD is nice, but I really love the color scheme on the sage open road...

Woodtroll

One Too Many
A question for those of you with a "C" or teardrop crease in your Campdraft - how high is the crown in front, to the top fold of the front of the crown? I ask because I wear a 7-3/4 / 62 size hat, and without a fairly tall crown many of the hats that look good on other folks look squatty and out of proportion on me. I'm considering a Campdraft, but am not sure if it is tall enough to look right on me. I also like to keep the crease up off the top of my head, even if only by a tiny bit!

Thank you,
Regan

Zoukatron

One of the Regulars
I have a heritage campdraft. (I'm a newb)

I can't get the brim to snap down properly. I either have to steam it down, which then results in it not snapping up; or leave it curved up.

I'd like the options of being able to wear it snapped down for sun protection , then having it snapped up for indoor wear...

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I can't speak from experience with the Akubra heritage felt myself, but from what I've read of what other people have experienced, you basically have to wait for the felt to soften up a bit over time before it will snap up and down without steaming, whereas the standard imperial quality felt will snap from the start.

RJR

I can't speak from experience with the Akubra heritage felt myself, but from what I've read of what other people have experienced, you basically have to wait for the felt to soften up a bit over time before it will snap up and down without steaming, whereas the standard imperial quality felt will snap from the start.
That's my experience with a couple of Heritage felt Akubras.

A question for those of you with a "C" or teardrop crease in your Campdraft - how high is the crown in front, to the top fold of the front of the crown? I ask because I wear a 7-3/4 / 62 size hat, and without a fairly tall crown many of the hats that look good on other folks look squatty and out of proportion on me. I'm considering a Campdraft, but am not sure if it is tall enough to look right on me. I also like to keep the crease up off the top of my head, even if only by a tiny bit!

Thank you,
Regan
Assuming you're referring to what we commonly call "the pinch" (the front of the crown after the hat has been creased) my three Campdrafts are 4-1/8" to 4-1/4"; not by design or plan, that's just where they ended up after I creased them. That being said, I don't particularly care for tall crowns and tend to crease my hats a bit lower than most. As a result, the gap between the top of the hat and the top of my head is only about 1/8"-1/4", which is comfortable for me. The funny thing is, even though the difference is only 1/8", for some reason my Bluegrass Green Campdraft looks taller to me than the other two (Silverbelly and Taupe Fawn). o_O

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Assuming you're referring to what we commonly call "the pinch" (the front of the crown after the hat has been creased) my three Campdrafts are 4-1/8" to 4-1/4";

Thank you! Yes, the "pinch" is what I had originally written, then on second thought I wasn't sure I was using the term correctly, so I edited my post (should have left it alone!).

I wonder if anybody is able to get 4-3/4" or so out of the height? Between 4-3/4" and 5" is what I usually shoot for, to try to stay proportional with my big head and the bigger brim.

Thanks again!
Regan

DanH

New in Town
My FL Edition BGCD is still my most-often-worn hat and it is starting to look it!
I guess I really should have it cleaned and re-blocked.

...I wonder if anybody is able to get 4-3/4" or so out of the height? Between 4-3/4" and 5" is what I usually shoot for, to try to stay proportional with my big head and the bigger brim...
If I remember correctly the Campdraft's open crown height is somewhere around 5-1/2" or 5-5/8", so it wouldn't give you much to work with at your preferred crease height.

Been

New in Town
Hey All!

I am about to buy my first bonafide hat, a Campdraft, but want to make sure I get the sizing right. My noggin measures right around 59. Akubra instructs to round to the nearest size beit up or down. Do y'all agree with this? I don't want the hat too tight but I fear a 60 may be too loose...

Is there much shrinkage or stretching with wear?

Much obliged for the input!

Zoukatron

One of the Regulars
There is some degree of inconsistency with Akubra's sizing, and the hat will naturally shrink with wear, so definitely go with the 60. If it's too loose, just add some padding until it shrinks down.

Hey All!

I am about to buy my first bonafide hat, a Campdraft, but want to make sure I get the sizing right. My noggin measures right around 59. Akubra instructs to round to the nearest size beit up or down. Do y'all agree with this? I don't want the hat too tight but I fear a 60 may be too loose...

Is there much shrinkage or stretching with wear?

Much obliged for the input!
As much as I like Akubra's hats, I have to agree with Zoukatron about their sizing issues. After reading some of the posts on The Lounge about hats that were allegedly size "XX" but were ridiculously too large or small, I'm convinced I've just been lucky that the hats I've received all fit as well as they do. I also agree with his suggestion to get a hat that's one size larger and add padding behind the sweatband until it shrinks down; that seems to be the prevalent wisdom simply because a hat that's too small will never fit, but a hat that's a little too big can be made to fit.

That being said, Akubra's hats are known for their "shrink to fit" quality. In my experience, you can expect yours to shrink 1/2 to a full size, but it will arrive slightly oversized to compensate for this and should shrink down to slightly smaller than a 59. Their Imperial Quality hats shrink more than their Heritage Quality hats, but both will shrink somewhat. Your comment "right around 59" is a little vague. If you're above an exact 59, definitely go up one size. But if you're under an exact 59, you might consider getting a 59 and a Hat Jack so you can stretch the hat a bit if it ends up being too snug for your tastes. Actually, if you're planning to own more than one hat you should probably get a Hat Jack anyway. :D

Been

New in Town
As much as I like Akubra's hats, I have to agree with Zoukatron about their sizing issues. After reading some of the posts on The Lounge about hats that were allegedly size "XX" but were ridiculously too large or small, I'm convinced I've just been lucky that the hats I've received all fit as well as they do. I also agree with his suggestion to get a hat that's one size larger and add padding behind the sweatband until it shrinks down; that seems to be the prevalent wisdom simply because a hat that's too small will never fit, but a hat that's a little too big can be made to fit.

That being said, Akubra's hats are known for their "shrink to fit" quality. In my experience, you can expect yours to shrink 1/2 to a full size, but it will arrive slightly oversized to compensate for this and should shrink down to slightly smaller than a 59. Their Imperial Quality hats shrink more than their Heritage Quality hats, but both will shrink somewhat. Your comment "right around 59" is a little vague. If you're above an exact 59, definitely go up one size. But if you're under an exact 59, you might consider getting a 59 and a Hat Jack so you can stretch the hat a bit if it ends up being too snug for your tastes. Actually, if you're planning to own more than one hat you should probably get a Hat Jack anyway. :D

Thank you! This is super helpful. I think I’ll size up.

Thank you! This is super helpful. I think I’ll size up.
One thing I should have included when I wrote "...and should shrink down to slightly smaller than a 59..." is that's what you might expect if you ordered a size 59. If you really are close to a 59 and order a 60, odds are it will still be a little loose after shrinking.

One thing some members have mentioned is that they contacted whichever source they were planning to order their hat from in advance, informed the supplier of their exact head measurement, and requested their advice on which size to order. Often they will simply recommend you order up one size, but certain shops (particularly Hats Direct/The Hattery) will often look through the hats they have in stock to find one in the style you want to order that's a "large 59" or a "small 60" to improve the chances that the hat you receive will fit better.

Been

New in Town
One thing I should have included when I wrote "...and should shrink down to slightly smaller than a 59..." is that's what you might expect if you ordered a size 59. If you really are close to a 59 and order a 60, odds are it will still be a little loose after shrinking.

One thing some members have mentioned is that they contacted whichever source they were planning to order their hat from in advance, informed the supplier of their exact head measurement, and requested their advice on which size to order. Often they will simply recommend you order up one size, but certain shops (particularly Hats Direct/The Hattery) will often look through the hats they have in stock to find one in the style you want to order that's a "large 59" or a "small 60" to improve the chances that the hat you receive will fit better.

Yes, I’ve connected with The Hattery and gave them my size and they recommended sizing up. I’ve placed my order hoping it would come soon but turns out my size isn’t in stock. Now I impatiently wait!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21