Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Alex has done a fine job regarding the tricky hue of the Taupe Fawn, but I'll chime in too. Here are pics of my Taupe Fawn Campdraft when I first got it. In full sun, and open shade.

View attachment 118510

View attachment 118511
Your photos exemplify the difficulties I had when attempting to gauge the true color of the Taupe Fawn. On my monitor yours has a reddish hue in the top photo, and a bit of a greenish hue in the bottom photo, neither of which is particularly accurate. But the color really is something of a chameleon and lighting can change the hue from reddish to greenish to yellowish.

Also, I'm not so bright. @bearinfedora mentioned he had the Campdraft in Bluegrass Green and Silverbelly, so it probably would have been more helpful if I had re-posted the photos of my three Campdrafts so he could make a direct comparison using colors he's already familiar with. I shall now correct that. :D

kutDCB7.jpg

EeBQaOU.jpg

aRpAGDS.jpg

Direct sunlight tends to "wash out" the colors a bit, but most of us are already familiar with that.

Wish Akubra Campdraft was available in more colors including black and blue-grey color...
No black so far that I'm aware of, but Hats Direct/The Hattery offers the Campdraft in Moonstone in the deluxe/Heritage Quality felt.

Last edited:
They have been saying three months for at least a couple of months now. There is a good chance your wait won’t be that long. I’ve been eyeing the Campdraft in moonstone at the Hattery.
When I ordered my first Campdraft I waited the expected three months, then contacted Everything Australian to see if they had any updates on it's expected arrival. The next day (keeping in mind the 17-18 hour time difference) I received two e-mails; one confirming they had received my hat from Akubra, and the other a shipping notice. My hat was in my hands four days later. But when I ordered my second Campdraft it was almost exactly two months from the day I ordered it to the day it landed on our front porch, so the dreaded "three months" isn't set in stone.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The three months depend on where the factory is in their production cycle when the order comes in. It takes three months for them to cycle through all their felt colors and hat models... but if they've recently made up the color you order and your model is coming up, it can be less.

Or they can already have the color/model you need sitting in the factory warehouse, and then it's just a matter of your dealer getting it from them before they can ship.

I only had to wait a long time for one hat out of six Akubras, my Stockman in Glen Grey. It was worth it!

^ Doctor Strange is wise, and clearly familiar with the basic process and how it can affect the time schedule. :cool:

Another thing for those of us on the northern hemisphere of the planet to remember is that our winter is Australia's summer. I mention this because Akubra closes the facility where they make their hats during the hottest two weeks of their year--usually some time during January or February if I remember correctly--so their employees don't have to endure the extreme temperatures. I think that's a smart thing for Akubra to do, but if you're an impatient customer who placed your order in November or December and you're waiting for your new hat to arrive I suppose those extra two weeks can add to the anticipation in a negative way.

D00R

One of the Regulars
I went through this entire thread and everyone looks Awesome in there hats.
I want to order a campdraft in Bluegrass Green. The campdraft looks great.

Im torn on the size. Between a 57 or 58.
I wear a 7 1/4 in vintage hats but purchased a 57 Poet Indy hat and it was snug, then purchased a 57 custom advintage hat and it was to big.
My head is a 22” inch Circumference.

Do the campdrafts run big?
Is the 57 22.5 inches? And the 58 just under 23 inches?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

I wear a 7 1/4 in vintage hats but purchased a 57 Poet Indy hat and it was snug, then purchased a 57 custom advintage hat and it was to big.

My head is 22" and I wear a size 7 . Do you have a long oval head?

Anyways always go bigger with Akubra.

D00R

One of the Regulars
Hi Jlee, i saw your Gray FED Hat, looks soo cool!
I don’t have a long oval head. I think a 7 would be to tight because a 57cm poet was a snug fit.

Here I go again being the voice of "experience that differs from everyone else's".

When I started wearing hats 10 years ago my head measured 23-5/8"--so close to 60 cm that the difference isn't worth mentioning. So I've always ordered size 60 in Akubras (three Fed IVs and three Campdrafts so far) and after the expected "shrink to fit" period they fit my head as I expected they would. Also, my head appears to be a near-perfect match to what most hatters consider a "regular" oval so I've never had to take ovality (i.e., long oval, wide oval, etc.) into consideration. So, based on my experience, my recommendation has always been this: If you're almost exactly a specific size order that size, and if you're between sizes order the larger of the two. If your head measurement of 22" is accurate, that's slightly smaller than 56 cm so I would order size 56. But, again, my experience seems to differ from almost everyone else's, so if you prefer a loose fit size 57 might be a better choice for you. Keep in mind, I'm referring strictly to Akubra hats because I have zero experience with any other modern hatters.

That being said, I've long thought hat sizing is more "art" than "science" and any number of variables can result in a hat that's too loose or too snug. Each time I've ordered a Fed IV I was advised they "run about 1/2 size small", but that hasn't been my experience. In fact, all three of my Campdrafts fit more snug than my Fed IVs and had to be stretched a little with a Hat Jack to be comfortable, so in my experience the Campdraft runs a little small. *shrug*

I sincerely hope this information helps in some way and doesn't make your decision more difficult; I just wanted to illustrate the fact that not everyone's experience with Akubras has been the same.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Here I go again being the voice of "experience that differs from everyone else's".

When I started wearing hats 10 years ago my head measured 23-5/8"--so close to 60 cm that the difference isn't worth mentioning. So I've always ordered size 60 in Akubras (three Fed IVs and three Campdrafts so far) and after the expected "shrink to fit" period they fit my head as I expected they would. Also, my head appears to be a near-perfect match to what most hatters consider a "regular" oval so I've never had to take ovality (i.e., long oval, wide oval, etc.) into consideration. So, based on my experience, my recommendation has always been this: If you're almost exactly a specific size order that size, and if you're between sizes order the larger of the two. If your head measurement of 22" is accurate, that's slightly smaller than 56 cm so I would order size 56. But, again, my experience seems to differ from almost everyone else's, so if you prefer a loose fit size 57 might be a better choice for you. Keep in mind, I'm referring strictly to Akubra hats because I have zero experience with any other modern hatters.

That being said, I've long thought hat sizing is more "art" than "science" and any number of variables can result in a hat that's too loose or too snug. Each time I've ordered a Fed IV I was advised they "run about 1/2 size small", but that hasn't been my experience. In fact, all three of my Campdrafts fit more snug than my Fed IVs and had to be stretched a little with a Hat Jack to be comfortable, so in my experience the Campdraft runs a little small. *shrug*

I sincerely hope this information helps in some way and doesn't make your decision more difficult; I just wanted to illustrate the fact that not everyone's experience with Akubras has been the same.
I have 20+ Akubra hard including 5 Campdrafts. My head measures to 59.4 cm and it’s pretty much as regular oval as you get. All my Akubra's are size 60, and after the initial shrinkage they all fit perfectly. My oldest Akubra is only about 10 years old but it still fits fine.

These are familiar waters :)

I think I’d endorse your fitting advice. My Akubra leather sweats have shrunk more than any other modern brand, but perhaps not as much as I tend to think. I’m between a 61 and 62 and 61 (7 5/8) works in soft Stetsons but is too tight in Akubra so I go 62. My only issue is that some of my 62 Akubras are now a bit on the tight side as the sweats have shrunk a bit more. Maybe my infrequent wear contribute to the issues, or maybe it’s because they’re the hats I grab when the weather is nasty. I’m also a long to extra long oval so who knows? Use of a band block would be a good idea too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 20+ Akubra hard including 5 Campdrafts. My head measures to 59.4 cm and it’s pretty much as regular oval as you get. All my Akubra's are size 60, and after the initial shrinkage they all fit perfectly. My oldest Akubra is only about 10 years old but it still fits fine.
My oldest Akubra is also 10 years old, and it still fits comfortably. But I started having my hair cut shorter over the last year or so, so now I think I'm between sizes because all of my hats fit looser than they used to. :rolleyes:

These are familiar waters :)...
Yeah, the question "What size should I get?" does get repeated occasionally. My apologies to those who have read my "tales of different experience" before, but I thought it might save @D00R a little time by repeating them again.

My oldest Akubra is also 10 years old, and it still fits comfortably. But I started having my hair cut shorter over the last year or so, so now I think I'm between sizes because all of my hats fit looser than they used to. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the question "What size should I get?" does get repeated occasionally. My apologies to those who have read my "tales of different experience" before, but I thought it might save @D00R a little time by repeating them again.

It’s a valuable service and I’m glad you don’t get upset having to answer this question over and over again.

It’s a valuable service and I’m glad you don’t get upset having to answer this question over and over again.
Thank you for saying so. I'm not sure how valuable it is, especially when it feels like I'm contradicting or opposing the prevalent wisdom and/or popular opinion. But I try to put myself in the position of the person asking the question and give the kind of answer(s) I'd like to receive if I were asking the question. We've all been in that place at one time or another, so I'm just passing on the favor--paying it forward, so to speak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk