Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Damn, got bit by the hat monkey again! Now I'm selling off fishing equipment to buy a CD in Tawny Fawn, already have SB and BGG. When will this madness ever end??
Speaking from personal experience, that's a good hat trifecta!

kutDCB7.jpg

:cool:

Royce Bloom

New in Town
Can any of you who wear a CD in a cattleman's crease share how tall the front of your crown is? I'm looking for a brown Open Road style hat but the CD is voluminous.

I know a common refrain here is you'll adjust to a larger crown, but I've worn western hats for decades and know what I want. My crowns are all ~4 1/2 inches. I'm skeptical the CD's 5 3/4 inch crown can come down that much even if I went full Ft. Worth with cow kicks front and back.

Possibly blasphemous to say around here but I actually like the dimensions of the modern ORs. But I've also handled them and their quality/price point is a non-starter.

I've considered going with a Squatter, but I'm not sold on Regency Fawn compared to the CD taupe fawn. Regency looks like dirty well water in half the pics I've seen.

I'd appreciate any info or advice.

Can any of you who wear a CD in a cattleman's crease share how tall the front of your crown is? I'm looking for a brown Open Road style hat but the CD is voluminous.

I know a common refrain here is you'll adjust to a larger crown, but I've worn western hats for decades and know what I want. My crowns are all ~4 1/2 inches. I'm skeptical the CD's 5 3/4 inch crown can come down that much even if I went full Ft. Worth with cow kicks front and back...
Take a look at the photo in post #4770. No Cattleman creases, but my Campdrafts are all creased at 4-1/4" to 4-1/2" at the front pinch. A taller crown simply means you have more material to work with in order to achieve the look you want.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I know a common refrain here is you'll adjust to a larger crown, but I've worn western hats for decades and know what I want. My crowns are all ~4 1/2 inches. I'm skeptical the CD's 5 3/4 inch crown can come down that much even if I went full Ft. Worth with cow kicks front and back.

Possibly blasphemous to say around here but I actually like the dimensions of the modern ORs. But I've also handled them and their quality/price point is a non-starter.

I've considered going with a Squatter, but I'm not sold on Regency Fawn compared to the CD taupe fawn. Regency looks like dirty well water in half the pics I've seen.

I'd have to measure, but I don't worry about it. I just start with a center dent that doesn't touch the top of my head, and go from there. The full crown of a CD is what I like about them.
e1b4a11268155f485ce7124d22259ffa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Royce, sorry for this slow reply but I just saw your post. Welcome to the forum!

My TFCD measures ~4-1/4 - 4-1/2" at the front dip. It will depend somewhat on your headshape & how you like your hats to fit. I like my hats to fit level, deep on my head just off the tops of my ears. My Cattleman crease tends to be more squared up & the pinches are more narrow & elongated. As shown the center crease is just off the top of my head. If the side pinches were elephant ears then the hat would have to sit too high on my head to keep from touching on the sides.

I have Stetson 3X OR's, a 4X OR & a Twenty-five OR & other OR clones all with Cattleman creases. Frankly the most disappointing & shallowest crown of them all is the Twenty-five.

Hope this helps.

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2089.jpg

IMG_2087.jpg

PS: I just got it out after being boxed for a while & it does need to be shaped back up again.

IMG_0293.jpg

bearinfedora

Familiar Face
Currently I am wondering about Campdraft Deluxe (Cedar Brown and Moonstone), and got a few questions:

1. Got Tawny Fawn already, so how brown is Cedar Brown compared to Tawny Fawn. It looks darker in photos so I am kinda lost here.
2. Are Campdraft Deluxe stiff? My Bluegrass Green is a bit on soft side compared to Tawny Fawn and Silver Belly.
3. Does hatsdirect write 50 AUD, or write lower value on the package so that local taxman here won't try to have his pound of flesh?

Thanks in advance \m/

Edit: my humble collection

9aX9czk.jpg

Last edited:
Currently I am wondering about Campdraft Deluxe (Cedar Brown and Moonstone), and got a few questions:

1. Got Tawny Fawn already, so how brown is Cedar Brown compared to Tawny Fawn. It looks darker in photos so I am kinda lost here.
2. Are Campdraft Deluxe stiff? My Bluegrass Green is a bit on soft side compared to Tawny Fawn and Silver Belly.
3. Does hatsdirect write 50 AUD, or write lower value on the package so that local taxman here won't try to have his pound of flesh?

Thanks in advance \m/

Edit: my humble collection

9aX9czk.jpg

I would expect a reputable company such as Hats Direct to report the actual price on customs forms.

Cedar Brown is quite dark. @Desert dog recently posted his and he commented on it being darker than he expected.

As far as stiffness, it’s hit-or-miss. Both grades of Akubra’s felt can be stiff and rough at times. My Akubra Imperial (lower grade) in Silverbelly is very soft. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

...As far as stiffness, it’s hit-or-miss. Both grades of Akubra’s felt can be stiff and rough at times. My Akubra Imperial (lower grade) in Silverbelly is very soft. You pays your money and you takes your choice...
I agree. I have only one Deluxe/Heritage Quality Akubra; it doesn't feel "stiffer" than my other Akubras, but the felt does feel more substantial and resisted my efforts at creasing/shaping it far more than any of my standard/Imperial Quality Akubras which creased/shaped very easily by comparison. Of my five standard/Imperial Quality Akubras (two Fed IVs and three Campdrafts), one was ridiculously stiff when I received it--it felt stiff, and it took some effort just to snap the front of the brim down the first three to five times. Based on my experience and some of the posts I've read here on The Lounge, I've come to the conclusion that it depends on how much stiffener they apply to the individual hat body while they're making the hat, and that style and color have little to no effect on a hat's stiffness.

bearinfedora

Familiar Face
Thank you all.
Just ordered moonstone and ceder brown, and yes they are more than happy to declare the lower value. Additional 64€ to taxman would be painful.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been considering a Cedar Brown for some time. I think this photo just did it for me. Does anyone know if the Cedar is much darker than the dark brown of the Fed IV?

I stopped in at the only real hat shop in Vancouver, Canada. They stopped but have recently started handling Akubra again. Unfortunately they have to buy from D Morgan as he has the NA rights to the line. The shocking aspect is that the Akubras cost $350 Canadian which is about $250 US$. So buying them direct from Aus becomes a no brainer even making the 3 month wait worth while.

I've been considering a Cedar Brown for some time. I think this photo just did it for me. Does anyone know if the Cedar is much darker than the dark brown of the Fed IV?
I haven't seen the Cedar Brown in person, but in photos I've seen taken in similar lighting conditions I'd say the Dark Brown is at least a little lighter and has a slight hint of a reddish hue that's absent from the Cedar Brown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana