Akubra Campdraft

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Spatterdash, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Thanks DD. First things first, we had an EF3 tornado come thru last night with winds to 100 mph. No deaths being reported but many homes are a total loss. My home & all livestock & animals are good. Still have power. But I have lots of debry on my property to clean up. Lots of damage out in Lawrence, KS but the KU campus was not hit. Just missed a hospital in Excelsior Springs, MO.

Now back on topic. Unusual CD's turn up from time to time. Even Akubra Open Roads turn up but one still alludes me. I think short runs of variations for dealers might have been more common then.

I bought a CD a couple yrs ago with a 2-3/4" raw edge brim & 2-cord ribbon that was very Outback-like with a packer draw on the brim. It was virtually NOS in original box. I had Scott add a circle stitch & a mid ribbon making it more Playboy-like. The color is between a Silverbelly & a bone color. It's a favorite now.

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2477.JPG

2. Desert dog

Desert dog Call Me a Cab

Glad you are ok and didn't get damage. Sure wish Akubra would make a run of black ones!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. Glad you're OK Jack and only have to clean up debris from your distant neighbors and not your own. Always a scary time of year here in the Heartland.

And I agree with Ed on your hat and the need for a black Camp Draft!

4. Thanks Bob. I got what's left of a steel utility or garden shed from somewhere. Looked like it bounced a few times. Also got a big sheet of corrugated roofing off a barn. I pulled them up to the door of my shop with a tractor where I could get to them with a sawzall. Cut a 4' x 5' flat panel from the roofing which I will keep. The rest I cut up to scrap. Also got a wheel & tire off of something, maybe a trailer spare. Lots of foam insulation everywhere. TV people saying it was on the ground for 2 hrs, at one point a mile wide & has been upgraded to an EF4. Eleven people seriously injured.

When time permits I'll iron out the ghost crease & look thru my parts box for a ribbon for this CD.

IMG_4050.jpg

5. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

If only

6. Scooterz

Scooterz A-List Customer

Love that hat! Glad you are ok. I have a rust resistol stagecoach that is too big that I need to do something with and another light grey resistol on the way. What is the width of the new ribbon? How are you liking that moonstone CD you have i keep thinking about ordering one of those.

7. Mid ribbons I like are usually 13/16 or 7/8". I like the Moonstone color fine, would like to have another. In cooler lighting it's blue; bright natural light it's more light gray. As you know there is only one source & in Heritage only. Not likely to find one in the Classifieds.

8. Cornshucker77

Cornshucker77 Call Me a Cab

I heard the KC Royals radio broadcasters talking last night about the tornado. Glad you are ok.

9. Cornshucker77

Cornshucker77 Call Me a Cab

A mile wide. Man, that just scares the -- out of me. Damn. A few years ago two twisters went through a town about 30 miles west of me and completely wiped out that little town.

Zombie_61 and Hurricane Jack like this.
  10. This was only the 2nd time I have ever gone to the basement. In 2003 there was a tornado that took a similar path doing significant damage.

Rmccamey, Zombie_61 and Cornshucker77 like this.
  11. bigdumbhick

bigdumbhick New in Town

Havent been here in a while, not since I bought my Campdraft a few years ago. Now its gone.

I had a Campdraft size 63 in Bluegrass Green that I wore just about daily. It has disappeared. I think I might have left it at a friends wedding out in the middle of nowhere.

Now I have to get another. The 63 was a touch large, but with a little foam behind the sweatband, it fit great. I was thinking about ordering a 62, but there is a 2 to 4 month wait. I cant wait that long.

FB_IMG_1540256059851.jpg

12. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

My condolences.
    I can't imagine ever leaving my cover anywhere. I never take it off just because of that possibility...except in church or at the dinner table, but even then, it's sitting on my knee.

Cornshucker77 likes this.
  13. bigdumbhick

bigdumbhick New in Town

I usually leave it in my car, sitting on the passenger side headrest. (I'm too tall to be able to wear it in the car). I had a gig on 7/27 and i was wearing it. It was miserable hot that day here in North Carolina. I went to a good friends wedding that evening and took it off during the ceremony and the reception. I thought I remembered wearing back out to the car. My anniversary was on the 1st and I blocked out the weekend. We stayed home and simply spent time together. I went somewhere the following Sunday 9/4 and it was nowhere to be found.

I had a stroke last year, that, too much heat and too little sleep means I am occasionally stupid and forgetful.

Dm101, Cornshucker77 and The Nid Hog like this.
  14. The Nid Hog

The Nid Hog New in Town

I'm so sorry to hear about your hat. The heat and humidity here in NC has been brutal--it's no wonder you forgot it somewhere. I feel like I've been walking around in a haze for the last couple of weeks myself. If it's any consolation, I just ordered a Campdraft from Everything Australian, and they told me that they have a bunch of bluegrass green ones in stock.

Dm101 and Cornshucker77 like this.
  15. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

Dang, that sounds terrible. Regrets of the loss of your fav hat should be replaced with the excitement and anticipation of a new one. It sounds like an exact replacement may be just the ticket. Perhaps a felt hue change? Who knows, bold change may be just the change needed for the balance of 2019 and beyond.

Best in your hunts sir.

May your future hats be comfy, coffee be strong and your Mondays be short, Eric -

Dm101, Cornshucker77 and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  16. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean Call Me a Cab

You never know how much you love something until you lose it. On the bright side, a big headed fella somewhere, is walking around with your hat on & chuffed with his find. :D

Dm101, Zombie_61 and Cornshucker77 like this.
  17. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been through the wringer. I hope you recover well...and soon.
    Please take care.
    *salute*

Cornshucker77 likes this.