Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

bearinfedora

Familiar Face
I'd say the Dark Brown is at least a little lighter and has a slight hint of a reddish hue that's absent from the Cedar Brown.

I don't have Fed IV so I can't compare the colors. However, Zombie_61 is right on the money. Cedar Brown has a slight taste of red/burgundy color.

Colors can be tricky depending upon light conditions, camera used and user's monitor settings. I have taken some pics comparing Cedar Brown with Taupe Fawn, and Blue Grass with Moon Stone.

okruThq.jpg

gWWl9mI.jpg

tl6WgPL.jpg

cnGSd6c.jpg

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So, is it the dark brown or the Cedar Brown that has the slight reddish tint? I've been looking for that exact color ever since I saw Hugh Laurie wearing a fedora of that color in the "Bertie and Jeeves" series. It'd look fine with a brown leather jacket or a brown (or even gray) tweed blazer.

I saw the photos you posted here after you received Anthony's, and the extremely minor difference in color seems to depend completely on the lighting.

Al, those photos do reinforce the notion that the CB has a reddish hue to it. The BO almost has some grey tones in comparison. In person, however, I still see little difference.

But then there's our brown rocking chair which my wife has been telling me is green for thirty years, so, YMMV.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

I don't have Fed IV so I can't compare the colors. However, Zombie_61 is right on the money. Cedar Brown has a slight taste of red/burgundy color...
Al, those photos do reinforce the notion that the CB has a reddish hue to it...
I think my comment above has been misinterpreted. I was trying to say Akubra's Dark Brown has a bit of a reddish hue (depending on lighting) that I have not seen in any photos of the Cedar Brown.

and here is yours truly in Campdraft Taupe Fawn...
Wow, if you hadn't mentioned "Taupe Fawn" I would have guessed Silverbelly. All of that white tile behind you seems to have really washed out the color.

I think my comment above has been misinterpreted. I was trying to say Akubra's Dark Brown has a bit of a reddish hue (depending on lighting) that I have not seen in any photos of the Cedar Brown.

Wow, if you hadn't mentioned "Taupe Fawn" I would have guessed Silverbelly. All of that white tile behind you seems to have really washed out the color.
Yes, I have a regency fawn and it is a definite mid brown. The pic looks just like my CD Silverbelly.

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
IMG_20190212_184538.jpg
IMG_20190212_184715.jpg
Just received my silverbelly campdraft from EA.Great service yet again from Sam. Straight out of the box i put in a dry crease,fits slightly loose,but will with a little wear and sweat will fit great by time we visit Australia in November. Got stung by import duty! Which wasn't as bad as the post office charge for the privilege of paying said duty. Duty £3.80. Post office charge £8.25!!

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, hope to get one of those myself the next time I get to visit down under.

Let me know how it changes/adapts over time to wear and weather.

View attachment 156079 View attachment 156080 Just received my silverbelly campdraft from EA.Great service yet again from Sam. Straight out of the box i put in a dry crease,fits slightly loose,but will with a little wear and sweat will fit great by time we visit Australia in November. Got stung by import duty! Which wasn't as bad as the post office charge for the privilege of paying said duty. Duty £3.80. Post office charge £8.25!!

...Let me know how it changes/adapts over time to wear and weather.
If you wear an Akubra as a "work" hat, and by that I mean wearing the same hat all day every day in all kinds of conditions and don't take care of it, it can wear out within three to five years; I've seen photos. But if you wear it and take care of it like most of us do--somewhat casually, in rotation with your/our other hats, brush it once in a while, moisturize the sweatband when needed, etc.--it should last decades like any other well-maintained fur felt hat. Since we're currently discussing Silverbelly Campdrafts, here are photos of mine:

TukTu1i.jpg

Except for me lowering the front of the brim for better sun protection (and a tiny stain on the top of the crown that can't be seen in these photos), it's virtually unchanged after five years. It's been soaked in rain two or three times, and held it's shape. The minor color difference is due to the lighting conditions; bright sunny day in the top two photos, overcast in the bottom two. In fact, all six of my Akubras are aging better than I am, and at this point I suspect they'll outlive me.

tsores

Familiar Face
I am a long oval, so...
Does this hat get stretched or is it soft enough to comply to my head shape without using a hat stretcher?
Using a hat stretcher, will the long oval hold its shape?
How will the brim respond to the long oval shape?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I am a long oval, so...
Does this hat get stretched or is it soft enough to comply to my head shape without using a hat stretcher?
Using a hat stretcher, will the long oval hold its shape?
How will the brim respond to the long oval shape?

I'm LO and I just ordered my regular size , but I let them know my best fit when I order , they'll check the measurements and send what I need which might be a size up or my regular size . I've never had to stretch any of my Campdrafts yet .

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Alex, good to know. Yes, I'm sure a CD is in my future.

If you wear an Akubra as a "work" hat, and by that I mean wearing the same hat all day every day in all kinds of conditions and don't take care of it, it can wear out within three to five years; I've seen photos. But if you wear it and take care of it like most of us do--somewhat casually, in rotation with your/our other hats, brush it once in a while, moisturize the sweatband when needed, etc.--it should last decades like any other well-maintained fur felt hat. Since we're currently discussing Silverbelly Campdrafts, here are photos of mine:

TukTu1i.jpg

Except for me lowering the front of the brim for better sun protection (and a tiny stain on the top of the crown that can't be seen in these photos), it's virtually unchanged after five years. It's been soaked in rain two or three times, and held it's shape. The minor color difference is due to the lighting conditions; bright sunny day in the top two photos, overcast in the bottom two. In fact, all six of my Akubras are aging better than I am, and at this point I suspect they'll outlive me.

TunedVWGti

One of the Regulars
Regarding your long oval question, mine have formed to my head pretty well but it's taken some work.

I have two Heritage grade Campdrafts and they were really comfy right of the box, requiring a pretty short time to break in- maybe five hours of time each. The sweats are softer and the felt is softer on the Heritage grade, so they mold pretty well to your head.

My Bushman doesn't have as nice of a sweat, and required longer break-in. The front of my forehead showed red marks upon removal. I eventually placed it in a hat jack and that stretched it into a long oval shape perfectly for me. I only had to do that once and it did the trick. I now find it to be really comfortable. (The hat wouldn't molded just fine over time without using my hat jack...it just sped up the process for me...but it's not necessary by any means...)

The brims on the Heritage grade didn't contort much at all. The brim on the Bushman contorted a tiny bit but not enough that anyone other than me would notice.

It's worth it to get the Heritage grade in my opinion because of the softer sweat band...(if it's offered.)

89quattro

One of the Regulars
So, is it the dark brown or the Cedar Brown that has the slight reddish tint? I've been looking for that exact color ever since I saw Hugh Laurie wearing a fedora of that color in the "Bertie and Jeeves" series. It'd look fine with a brown leather jacket or a brown (or even gray) tweed blazer.
Wonder if cedar brown equates to mid-brown shown in this example, a DM Adventurer.
Important to note that it's available in 64 cm for us big heads.

Capture dm adventurer.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21