Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How did you guys get the plastic cut out? I've mostly gone to my lighter weight felts, Borso and Strats, since the weather has warmed up. I'd love to be wearing my Campdrafts, but they make my noggin sweat. I'm really glad the weather has been cool enough to keep wearing felts at all so far.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I just used a small pair of scissors and cut it close to the cloth with out cutting the actual liner. You just lift the liner up out of the crown an then cut an "entry" hole in the plastic...:rolleyes: :D

Mr. Paladin

Doublegun said:
I love the hat but feel that it has a lot of crown. Thoughts? (I know, the photo is not that great)

Doublegun, I think the crown is just right. Your size and features carry it quite well. Great location shot too.

wildturkey8

Familiar Face
RBH: I received my new campdraft. I love it. You were right, the tear drop crease is best for us Arkansas men. I love the open road, but for this hat the cattlemans/open road crease just didn't look right. Anyway I have an excuse to buy another hat. Go Hogs in the College World Series.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
It was a nice steady rain north of Atlanta last evening & I had to talk to a guy about clearing some brush on the ranch, so I put on my Silver Belly CD. It got good & soaked. Later about 1145pm, I had 3 horses come in from Texas & it was still coming down but lighter than before. The damp CD went back on & got some more H20. Now this morning, it was still a might misty so I grab the same hat. This hat feels so much better after the good watering & drying out. I firmly believe all CD need a good rain soaking to reach their true felt state. My other 2 will be coming out for their turns in the rain. All this & it kept my head dry too! :D
Great advice. Not much rain in southern California, but when it does rain next, I'll have my CD on my head.
Steve

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Doublegun said:
No hats got wet during the taking of this photo! This was taken last week whild floating the AuSable river near Grayling, Michigan. I love the hat but feel that it has a lot of crown. Thoughts? (I know, the photo is not that great)

Doublegun, I agree with the gents here, that CD looks great on you. I started going for a diamond bash on my Silverbelly but ended up with a teardrop of sorts:
P1010005_5.jpg

I found the CD very easy to bash...when I didn't like my initial results, I opened up the crown and tried again. Great hat, easily my favorite.

For the tugboat, raise the front crown and lower the rear, with a rise in the peak slightly higher than the front crown. So, mine is 4 3/8" at the front, 4 5/8" at the peak, and 3 3/4" at the back.

P1010007_4.jpg

If you play with your crown, you'll find that you can deepen the crease and lower the crown, if that's your goal.

Good luck,
Steve

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Chuck Bobuck said:
It's Glen Grey. It looks a little lighter than it really is in the photo above. I hope you didn't think the Moonstone was out yet! :)

One can only hope can't one :D

I am wondering what the sky grey color is really like.... I have an email out waiting for an answer on that one.....

And I joined the list of loungers by emailing Hats Direct for a Moonstone CampDraft.

TheShadowKnows

New in Town
Nice, St. Ignatz!

That is the nicest bash that I've seen on a CD. Now it makes me want to get one! For my look, I try to stay away from the taller crowns. I prefer the look of a "Stockman" or a "Banjo Paterson", with the shorter crown and smaller brim. Your bash on the silver CD is most excellent, sir!
Did it take you long to perfect that look?

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
My answer from hats direct:

"thanks for your enquiry.

Ron is thinking of adding Moonstone to the Campdraft colours so I'll file your enquiry and as soon as we have more news we can let you know."

Never did get an answer form hats4u on the Sky Grey color.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Ordinary Guy said:
My answer from hats direct:

"thanks for your enquiry.

Ron is thinking of adding Moonstone to the Campdraft colours so I'll file your enquiry and as soon as we have more news we can let you know."

Never did get an answer form hats4u on the Sky Grey color.

Sounds like good news on the Campdraft in Moonstone, OG--I think this is the first response from hats direct in which they say that Ron's actually considering it...let's hope he goes for it soon!
Steve

BobC

I emailed hats4u about their sky gray color a while ago. They responded to me that the color is no longer available.

Mr. Paladin

jazzncocktails said:
Sounds like good news on the Campdraft in Moonstone, OG--I think this is the first response from hats direct in which they say that Ron's actually considering it...let's hope he goes for it soon!
Steve

That is good news! I think he mentioned October in an earlier post so sooner would fuel the "fall felt frenzy"; at least with me anyway! :D :D :D

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
BobC said:
I emailed hats4u about their sky gray color a while ago. They responded to me that the color is no longer available.
:(

Thanks Bobc, at least I know now.... I was curious whether it was a light grey or dark but it doesn't matter now....

Maybe we can all get Moonstones.....

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I just ordered a Bluegrass Green Camp Draft last night. It will be my third Camp Draft and I gotta say....it probably won't be the last. I like the looks of the Glenn Gray!

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Silverbelly in the Summer

I've got my first CD in the mail from Hats Direct now (Taupe Fawn) and I got to thinking about the Silverbelly in summer. See, I've got a couple of Panama hats for those rare hot days here in the Great White North, but I prefer the fit and feel of a fur felt hat (nevermind that I can bash and shape them the way I like). So can the Silverbelly owners out there chime in on how it is to wear on a hot days? BTW - hot for me here is 25 - 30 C or about 75 - 85 F.

Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari